Winter riding jacket options

AB

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Vye Cycle Kit said:

We've added a Hurricane Light jacket to our range. 

hahaha don't worry, I came to love it the last few weeks when it was 4° in the morning 🥰

6 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Received my gloves and Gilet from Vye yesterday. Looking forward to trying them out.

Looking forward to your feedback :thumbup:

23 hours ago, Madone69 said:

Assos ijbonka 6....sorted

Agreed. LS cashmere/merino body warmer over SS vest for colder -1c to 5c rides. Good to 12c-14c when you can zip down. Great for Jhbg rides. Paired with Assos Mille bib tights but they get toasty after 14c. 

PlanetX crab gloves bought 6 or so years ago two quid are great between -3 to 12c. My missus wears a pair of cotton running gloves beneath hers.

We still battle with our toes. All the toecaps I have used only keep the toes warm for the first hour and then the wind gets the better of me. I am convinced the soles of my shoes freeze.

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2023 at 10:31 AM, Bub Marley said:

South Africa in terms of weather is certainly slap bang in the middle. In terms of winter, well it gets cold here but certainly nowhere near as cold as European cities. So you need to really choose your gear wisely. There is nothing worse than overheating.

Im in Cape Town and what works for me is a light packable wind jacket. I used the Castelli Aria Windjacket (https://www.castelli-cycling.com/US/en/Men/Cycling/Top/Protection/ARIA-SHELL-JACKET/p/4520058_030) last year through winter and it worked for like 95% of the time. 

There were a few rides where i felt something warmer would’ve been nicer at the beginning but once you’ve warmed up that jacket gave me enough protection. Just couple that up with arm warmers, vest, knee warmers, gloves and you’re sorted. The reason I like this jersey is because I can pack it away in the back pocket if the weather gets warmer. If you get a proper thermal jacket, they’re not packable so you’re stuck with it for the whole ride.

I also found that majority of the time, my feet were the guilty party in terms of coldness. So I need to get some sort of toe warmer or something for this winter.

Just to refresh this topic again. 

This was my comment at the beginning of the year and was based on the previous years winter. Can I just say that this year winter absolutely freezing cold. I definitely needed a thermal jacket this year and will definitely not make the same mistake for next year. 

Decathlon waterproof cycling jacket without the hoodie. First year I've been commuting in all weather. No complaints. Been wearing compression shirts and long sleeve kamikaze trail jersey underneath. 

Edited by V18