Shimano Di2 9150 shifting issues

Erika Potgieter

Hi all!

I have Shimano Di2 9150 11spd on my road bike.  This setup does not allow me to use the last two sprockets when in the small chain ring upfront as it "prevents cross-chaining",  Urrrggghhhh this is soooo irritating for a climb as I would like to use those two small sprockets and gradually gear down.  Sometimes the pace of the overall bunch is such that I need to use those two small sprockets on rear cassette together with small chain ring upfront.  I have done extensive reading on the topic and the following screenshot (see below) can be used to disable this feature.  Problem is, if one downloads E-Tube Project for Shimano and connect to the Di2 system, there is no such function to disable it.  The latest version also looks completely different to the one posed here.  I found this info at link:  https://bettershifting.com/di2-cant-shift-to-smallest-cogs-in-small-ring-adjust-gpc/

QUESTION:  Has anyone managed to get around this issue somehow???

Please help!!!

Capture.PNG

If you cannot re program the shifters to allow the shifting to the smaller cogs at the back, maybe install a larger small blade at the front?

you will sacrifice your current granny gear though.

12 hours ago, Erika Potgieter said:

Hi all!

I have Shimano Di2 9150 11spd on my road bike.  This setup does not allow me to use the last two sprockets when in the small chain ring upfront as it "prevents cross-chaining",  Urrrggghhhh this is soooo irritating for a climb as I would like to use those two small sprockets and gradually gear down.  Sometimes the pace of the overall bunch is such that I need to use those two small sprockets on rear cassette together with small chain ring upfront.  I have done extensive reading on the topic and the following screenshot (see below) can be used to disable this feature.  Problem is, if one downloads E-Tube Project for Shimano and connect to the Di2 system, there is no such function to disable it.  The latest version also looks completely different to the one posed here.  I found this info at link:  https://bettershifting.com/di2-cant-shift-to-smallest-cogs-in-small-ring-adjust-gpc/

Please help!!!

Capture.PNG

Do you have the bluetooth/Ant+ thingy? that will allow you to connect to the app on your phone? just a thought. you could even ask at the bike shop if they can let you try it - it can easily be fitted at the rear derailleur, settings updated and removed.

on the current e-tube, the screens is different but settings is the same. 

Once you have E-tube installed, you connect your charger to your laptop/PC and open e-tube.

I am not at home so I am unable to check the settings but going to guess from what I remember

Then select Customize

Select the Rear Deraileur

You should see an option to set gear limits and set it to None/No Limit

Edited by Arrie

13 hours ago, Erika Potgieter said:

Hi all!

Please help!!!

Capture.PNG

I dont understand the issue here.

If you "want" to run 39/12 (small front with 2nd smallest chainring back) it gives you 3.25 ration.

Shift to the big blade (52) and go to ring 16 tooth and you have the same ratio?

To me it's normally VERY easy.
Shift up and two down at the back and you have pretty much the same cadence at the same speed.
With Di2 this is done in less than a second?

Sorry but what you are trying to do is not great. Why do you want to cross chain so badly, it would wear down your drivetrain, the efficiency is terrible and I would guess that your chain will scrape the front mech. 
Just shift into the big ring, especially since you have di2, it is so quick and slick. 
Also, riding in the small front/ small rear will most probably result in the chain running completely loose. 

I’m sorry, but what you’re trying to do makes no sense

another option on the Di2 is to use synchroshifting. which allows the Di2 system to manage cross-chaining and keep you in the optimal range

This feels a lot like looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. You never "need" to cross chain that badly. You can get pretty much the same ratios on the large chainring further up the cassette. Also as someone else mentioned, switch on full or partial syncro-shift and the system will automatically move you to the equivalent next gear ratio even when it shifts at the front.

There are advantages to be gained from cross chaining, specifically, running on larger cogs at the back apparently is better eg 50/30 is more efficient than 34/21. i read it on the internet, so must be true...

However, I pay for my own groupsets and bicycle maintenance, so none apply to me