South Industries announce XCR Rims and Wheels

News bot

South Industries are proud to introduce our latest product, an ultralight Cross-Country rim and wheelset called the XCR (Cross Country Race). At just 310g per rim, with a 28mm inner rim diameter and a lifetime warranty, this new rim is 20% lighter than our previous generation cross country rim, the XC29. Having just won the […]

View full article

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my personal experience is not good at all and I will not buy another set from them. Not just once but twice the rims failed within 1 year of purchase. Providing proof of damage and receiving support from their own distributors did nothing for my case to have them replaced under Lifetime Warranty, the only offer was 50% of RRP which I took the first time (didn\'t know better) but rejected the second time and bought imported carbon rims. For obvious legal reasons I cannot make further public statements but if anyone wants to know the full details of my experience please rather send me a private message and I will explain what happened. The below statement from the website reads great but... \"All South Industries rims are covered by a LIFETIME WARRANTY, to be free from manufacturing defects in material and / or workmanship. We are always in your corner in this regard. This warranty applies to the original owner, who has registered their rims with us, and can provide a date of purchase, as shown on their proof of purchase.\"

Ouch, another beyond expensive bicycle accessory. I guess guys making affordable components simply don\'t have the ad spend that these guys have because I would far rather see advertorials on value oriented products not overpriced stuff I would not buy even if I had the cash. I\'m all for innovation and local production but who cares what the pros are riding, really? If they are using it, its probably something you or I should not be using. IMO of course :-)

7 hours ago, News bot said:

South Industries are proud to introduce our latest product, an ultralight Cross-Country rim and wheelset called the XCR (Cross Country Race). At just 310g per rim, with a 28mm inner rim diameter and a lifetime warranty, this new rim is 20% lighter than our previous generation cross country rim, the XC29. Having just won the […]

View full article

Nice to see the guys at South coming to the party with weights that others have been able to produce for a while now.

They've become a serious option for those looking for superlight wheels, previously only available from international brands.

Looking forward to building up some of these superlight rims.

I just wish that nipple washers weren't required as they add precious time to the build process.

46 minutes ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

Nice to see the guys at South coming to the party with weights that others have been able to produce for a while now.

They've become a serious option for those looking for superlight wheels, previously only available from international brands.

Looking forward to building up some of these superlight rims.

I just wish that nipple washers weren't required as they add precious time to the build process.

Nice Advert

1 hour ago, babse said:

Wow that is some price tag. R22k for rims and waaaaay too much for the rest... nope, not even if I had the dosh!

Yes, it's a lot of cash, but comparing apples with apples, their pricing is in line with the rest.

A set of Bontrager Kovee RSL wheels sells for R47k.
https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/equipment/cycling-components/bike-wheels/mountain-bike-wheels-and-wheel-sets/bontrager-kovee-rsl-30-tlr-boost-29-mtb-wheel/p/37181/?colorCode=black

Add a set of DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs to the South rims, and lace them with quality bladed spokes, and pay the wheel builder, and you're looking at a sticker price for a wheelset of around R39k.

R8 000 cheaper than the equivalent Bontragers.....