Dealing with Garmin South Africa...

MudLark

I think I may have said this before, or maybe it was in my head, either way, I think it's worth mentioning again: 

Electronics are consumables and yes they're expensive but they do pack up. Place them onto the insurance and when they go to the electronic shack in the sky have them replaced under the insurance. I see more risk in having a head unit / watch shipped to Garmin SA than having to pay R15-R20pm extra for an itemized item on the insurance. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I think I may have said this before, or maybe it was in my head, either way, I think it's worth mentioning again: 

Electronics are consumables and yes they're expensive but they do pack up. Place them onto the insurance and when they go to the electronic shack in the sky have them replaced under the insurance. I see more risk in having a head unit / watch shipped to Garmin SA than having to pay R15-R20pm extra for an itemized item on the insurance. 

Yeah and claim as what, failure or accidental damage? Some insurance will not honor the claim if it was negligence or wear & tear.

1 minute ago, milky4130 said:

Yeah and claim as what, failure or accidental damage? Some insurance will not honor the claim if it was negligence or wear & tear.

I had a V800 (Polar) which I claimed and they assessed it. I think the o-rings providing the "water resistant" functionality started to fail and the unit stopped working. I took kiekies of the damage and or the black lines on the screens, they sent a company to collect and a few days later I collected a new unit from a shop close to me. The only thing was getting like for like so because of the age of my unit (which I bought second hand to begin with) was to get a shop who still had stock. There's guys on here who know way more than what I do when it comes to insurance and policies but the main thing: 

Don't insure the watch under general house hold content or out and about items. Specify it as an item and pay for it separately i.e. R15-R20pm then if something happens to it then it is much easier to claim for it 

38 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I had a V800 (Polar) which I claimed and they assessed it. I think the o-rings providing the "water resistant" functionality started to fail and the unit stopped working. I took kiekies of the damage and or the black lines on the screens, they sent a company to collect and a few days later I collected a new unit from a shop close to me. The only thing was getting like for like so because of the age of my unit (which I bought second hand to begin with) was to get a shop who still had stock. There's guys on here who know way more than what I do when it comes to insurance and policies but the main thing: 

Don't insure the watch under general house hold content or out and about items. Specify it as an item and pay for it separately i.e. R15-R20pm then if something happens to it then it is much easier to claim for it 

Kind of with Milky on this one, guess one can try to work the insurance system but wear and tear not technically insurable. Not sure one will always get away with that approach.

35 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Kind of with Milky on this one, guess one can try to work the insurance system but wear and tear not technically insurable. Not sure one will always get away with that approach.

Definitely, no I didn't mean one should try to milk the system and claim for a unit that has been used and abused for 10 - 12 years. What I was alluding to was to insure a unit and if it packs up have the insurance assess it and decide. If it's normal wear and tear then try to have it fixed.

We insure ourselves up the wazoo, I mean hell, we even insure our insurance for when they stop paying.

Why do we want to go through the mission ourselves to try and get it repaired when if we made contact with the insurers they may get it resolved quicker.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody done a Garmin replacement recently ?

It was about R2500 to get replacement model, is it still the same price ?

2 hours ago, Cyclewizz said:

Anybody done a Garmin replacement recently ?

It was about R2500 to get replacement model, is it still the same price ?

depends on the model you want to replace, R2500 sounds about right for a brand new unit that Retails for +-R6000

On 4/3/2024 at 4:47 AM, RobertWhitehead said:

With Santam it can be included under "wearables" cover.

Theft, accident damage is covered.

Old age failure not ....

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

With Santam it can be included under "wearables" cover.

Theft, accident damage is covered.

Old age failure not ....

Yes, mine got water damage, the o-ring protecting the insides failed but I got it replaced without trying to get too involved with the supplier :D.

Fantastic service from Garmin last week.  Sent in my 530.  They offered upgrade to 540 at 1/4 of retail price to replace.  

they even sent back the string and cover I had on the 530 when I sent them in.

Unit landed today. very chuffed 

Edited by Maniax