Is the 2nd hand market dead?

Jacko18

1 hour ago, LazyTrailRider said:

I’ve bought and sold multiple bikes worth double that. When a year old *mint* condition bike with 300km on it can be had for R80k instead of R110k, it’s a no-brainer.

I am very specific when it comes to size and components .Some bikes are just specked silly .All my bikes have been auction buys or new used ones .Only once did i buy off the floor and then i replaced the wheel set immediately 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

I’ve bought and sold multiple bikes worth double that. When a year old *mint* condition bike with 300km on it can be had for R80k instead of R110k, it’s a no-brainer.

I had a "Newish" secondhand bike break on me. Because I wasn't the original owner, I couldn't claim the warranty. Since then, I was a bit skeptical spending so much on a secondhand bike.

1 hour ago, DanMan said:

I had a "Newish" secondhand bike break on me. Because I wasn't the original owner, I couldn't claim the warranty. Since then, I was a bit skeptical spending so much on a secondhand bike.

When you say “break”, do you mean a frame crack?

15 hours ago, DanMan said:

Some brands offer a warranty transfer to subsequent owners, but often with a reduced time. It doesn't really make sense to me, if you offer a warranty on a product does it really matter if it's not the original owner?

4 minutes ago, MrJacques said:

Some brands offer a warranty transfer to subsequent owners, but often with a reduced time. It doesn't really make sense to me, if you offer a warranty on a product does it really matter if it's not the original owner?

Nobody will offer "lifetime" warranties if they had to transfer it to the next owner ....  They only offer this because so few people actually keep a bike for a "longer" periods.

At least TITAN RACING gives a decent 5-year warranty, including the owner ..... correct paper trail is important though.

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Nobody will offer "lifetime" warranties if they had to transfer it to the next owner ....  They only offer this because so few people actually keep a bike for a "longer" periods.

At least TITAN RACING gives a decent 5-year warranty, including the owner ..... correct paper trail is important though.

Makes sense.

What doesn't is Trek's warranty. I think it's 5 for the original and 2 for the subsequent. Still better than Giant who offer a lifetime one for the original owner, but nothing for subsequent owners.

Edit: thinking about it, maybe it's a strategy they use to limit their claims and so people would rather buy new bikes?

Edited by MrJacques

19 minutes ago, MrJacques said:

Makes sense.

What doesn't is Trek's warranty. I think it's 5 for the original and 2 for the subsequent. Still better than Giant who offer a lifetime one for the original owner, but nothing for subsequent owners.

Edit: thinking about it, maybe it's a strategy they use to limit their claims and so people would rather buy new bikes?

On my sola silverback it's also lifetime for original 

fyi, listed a bike on here for R15k on Tuesday, sold it this morning for R15k. 

.....also, since we are sort of ragging....webuybikes offered 9k haha. 

anyway, I usually list things on here for around 50% what i paid for it - expectations fully in check. If you have bought stuff from me you'll know sometimes you'll buy stuff that is basically new for half price....like this bike I sold. Happy buyer, happy seller. win win.  

If you want to sell the thing...sell it, don't try and make your money back - you wont. I'm not sentimental either. Out with the old...in with the new. 

33 minutes ago, MORNE said:

If you want to sell the thing...sell it, don't try and make your money back

An easy statement to make at the R15k level, not so easy at R150k…

42 minutes ago, MORNE said:

anyway, I usually list things on here for around 50% what i paid for it - expectations fully in check. If you have bought stuff from me you'll know sometimes you'll buy stuff that is basically new for half price....like this bike I sold. Happy buyer, happy seller. win win.  

If you want to sell the thing...sell it, don't try and make your money back - you wont. I'm not sentimental either. Out with the old...in with the new. 

Wanted to buy a bike from a lady up in JHB. She listed it for R70k, and I was going to make an offer for R64k. Contacted her, and she said ahe sold the bike to BM for like R42k. Immediately contacted them and said they already picked up the bike and will be listed the next day. Bike was listed for R75k. They made a +R30k profit of her.

BM (also a familiar second hand bike reseller).

22 minutes ago, JohanC said:

Wanted to buy a bike from a lady up in JHB. She listed it for R70k, and I was going to make an offer for R64k. Contacted her, and she said ahe sold the bike to BM for like R42k. Immediately contacted them and said they already picked up the bike and will be listed the next day. Bike was listed for R75k. They made a +R30k profit of her.

Eish, that's a really steep markup. Seems a bit unfair towards her. Unfortunately not uncommon for guys who buy and resell, it happens a lot with 2nd hand cars. I wonder if they'll actually get the 75k asking price. Make them an offer for 45k ;)

44 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

An easy statement to make at the R15k level, not so easy at R150k…

well it was technically a 30k bike lol. but yes. but ill sell a 150k bike for 75k if i want it to go...thats just how i am.

Edited by MORNE

32 minutes ago, JohanC said:

webuy bikes is BM's buyer on here

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

They offered me R19k for a bike I listed for R40k. I sold it for R38k

31 minutes ago, throttles said:

They offered me R19k for a bike I listed for R40k. I sold it for R38k

Imo they should tread carefully…they are getting a rep. They should acknowledge a good deal when they see it and get it and THEN sell it for what they want…not undercut a 50% discount by another 30-40% lol. I guess they can do what they want though….and desperate ppl will still sell their bikes when cold hard cash is flaunted under their noses. Bit I have an opinion about BM’s methods and ethics and it is all on them…not me.the thing is…if you know you know…and you now know everything on their site was acquired at 30-40% under the listed price. So why pay what they want? Thats why they also do the ‘make an offer’ thing. If you offer them 20% under they are still in the green.

Edited by MORNE