Ali express purchases

RedKross

Any hubbers that have ordered a wheelset off Ali Express? Worth it or a bit of a chance? Any advice for someone considering an order on Ali Express?

would appreciate some feedback on your purchase.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't offer any feedback but try search for previous threads on this topic, there have been a few.

Thanks. I remember seeing something about it quite a while back, but must be too long ago as I’ve searched as far back as possible with no luck of finding the thread.

I’ve used them for Garmin mounts and handlebars and stems.

takes a while to get here. I use normal post the courier option was quite expensive wrt cost of items bought. Sometimes it takes 4 weeks other times 7/8 weeks.

they have strict return/refund policy so QC your item when you receive it. I usually fit it asap and dispute if there’s anything not right.

I’ve received full refunds if I wasn’t happy with an item.

Yes, I have ordered many wheelsets. It is worth taking a chance. Look for seller with many sales and good reviews. When the wheel arrives, check everything thoroughly and highlight problems immediately. If it is carbon, check for weaknesses, issues on the rims. I have had good experience with refunds if there are problems. One seller sent me a new wheel six months later when I picked up an issue.

I wouldn't buy an aluminum wheel from Aliexpress. I think they are too cheap / look a bit light.

There are various hubs, something like Novatec or more expensive are pretty good.

It may be worthwhile to get an Aramex global shopper account and courier the items, you will pay VAT and import duties on them when they arrive (however you ship them). Will be less than 20 percent of the cost of the items. For more expensive items, I use Aramex and it takes about 2 to 3 weeks.

I would say your biggest risk is actually the post office. Unfortunately the courier charge is so much more expensive which is a real pity so we’re almost forced to use the post office and I’m not sure I would trust them to deliver.

I was presently surprised with my last delivery via the post office. Took a bit of time between the parcel arriving in the country and getting to my local post office, but the tracking information was updated regularly and was accurate. That being said, maybe I just got lucky this time...

Pertaining Ali Express, I have never purchased a wheelset before, but I have purchased other items. As already stated, look for a seller with lots of sales and good reviews as there are a lot of scammers out there. Usually, this equates to a good seller and you will normally get the product as advertised. That being said, you may not get what you paid for - it is a risk.

I'm also in the market for some goodies and am considering Aramex Global shopper to just get it here earlier and more reliably.

17 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

If using AGS where will you send it to?

You get access to their local addresses for wherever you are buying from. So if I buy something in Germany I buy it as myself with local billing address, but with the AGS German address and they forward to South Africa

Some guidelines:

• If the courier option isn't too pricey, USE IT.
  • If it's coming via SAPO, ALWAYS choose a tracking available option.
  • Very safe platform, SAPO is the risk.
  • If item never arrives, refund is immediate once requested.
  • Many shops selling the same item with varying pricing and shipping costs, shop around.

59 minutes ago, thebob said:

You get access to their local addresses for wherever you are buying from. So if I buy something in Germany I buy it as myself with local billing address, but with the AGS German address and they forward to South Africa

There isn't a China address for AGS though hence his question. Although I see that they have a Hong Kong option which might work..

1 minute ago, Jehosefat said:

There isn't a China address for AGS though hence his question. Although I see that they have a Hong Kong option which might work..

There is a Chinese address in Shanghai