Which make is worth the money?

Murray Meyer

Hi, buying my first bike and as advised, I'm trying to get input from people with experience in this field. I've been to a couple of shops but it seems that proper advice is dependant on the makes the applicable shops are selling. I'm looking at these 3 which are fairly in the same price range and would like to know your preferences. Thanks in advance. 

1) SilverBack STRIDE SX (AIR FORK) Hardtail | Sport XC | Alloy | 29"  ... or ... SilverBack STRIDE EXPERT - 2022

2) TitanRacing Rogue Dash 6061 Alloy 29″ Mountain Bike | 1×12 | - 2022

3) Zini Z29 elite ALUMINIUM FRAME 120MM aIR fork 29" WHEELS - 2023 

Based on our experience ... Titan Racing 👍

@KB280DT may well guide you that first one on your list ....😋 

Each of us has an emotional bias towards certain brands ... for better and for worse.

Objectively .... @Titan Racing Bikes simply has thee best warranty and backup in this market segment.  Not the we have ever needed it with the range of their bikes we had, and still have.  Enough posts on the Hub where @Titan Racing Bikes sorted out warranty issues.

Have to agree with @ChrisF , I do not own or have not owned a Titan, but looking at the price and spec, they really are great value, from their entry to their premium products, they are generally better specced than the other brands.

Merida because you always get the latest technology available.

Some of those Brands are Generic Chinese Frames and use a lot of generic Chinese Components including the Wheels.

Merida Has its own Factory in Taiwan and Makes Bikes and Frames for Other Brands including Specialized and Others.

4 hours ago, Murray Meyer said:

Hi, buying my first bike and as advised, I'm trying to get input from people with experience in this field. I've been to a couple of shops but it seems that proper advice is dependant on the makes the applicable shops are selling. I'm looking at these 3 which are fairly in the same price range and would like to know your preferences. Thanks in advance. 

1) SilverBack STRIDE SX (AIR FORK) Hardtail | Sport XC | Alloy | 29"  ... or ... SilverBack STRIDE EXPERT - 2022

So let's see what's your budget. I like silverback. Some like scott. Some like merida. I would rather buy an older ht with deore than a new one with microswift

8 hours ago, Murray Meyer said:

Try and avoid Sram SX components (derailleur and shifter specifically). They do not last long. Compared to Shimano deore 12spd, I would much rather get Shimano at that price point

My choose would be Silverback as its backed by the biggest local bike shop around . I have a Silverback Sido 2 full suspension with ( 60,000km ) and not a single issue . What is your budget ? 

8 hours ago, Murray Meyer said:

In that area you could also consider what Momsen and Signal have on offer as well, not sure if you've looked at these? 

As far as the bikes listed go, they all have their pros and cons. 

Out of the quoted weights, the Titan comes in the lightest. This is subjective however as only Silverback quote theirs with pedals and the weights are all within 300g of each other.

Geometry wise, Silverback is the most progressive with a more relaxed head angle and longer wheelbase across their sizing curve, so a bit more stable on descents etc. Titan would be next up, arguably a bit more balanced given the intended riding and leaves space to up the fork travel if you like. Zini at the end of the scale, they quote a 71 degree head angle which is odd for a bike with a 120mm fork. 

Spec, Zini definitely a favourite with a Shimano Deore groupset and 120mm fork, however the fork is a generic white label/in house brand. So serviceability may be an issue. Both the Titan and Silverback have Rock Shox forks, so parts and servicing should never be an issue.

Personally, it would be down to either the Titan or Silverback—good spec, value, get, looks and support. Yes the SX components may not last, but that is just the derailleur and shifter really. They have the least cost ratio on maintenance and are consumable parts which can be upgraded once they're trashed. Bonus, being 12spd you can replace it with Shimano or an up-spec of Sram like NX or GX. 

8 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

In that area you could also consider what Momsen and Signal have on offer as well, not sure if you've looked at these? 

As far as the bikes listed go, they all have their pros and cons. 

Out of the quoted weights, the Titan comes in the lightest. This is subjective however as only Silverback quote theirs with pedals and the weights are all within 300g of each other.

Geometry wise, Silverback is the most progressive with a more relaxed head angle and longer wheelbase across their sizing curve, so a bit more stable on descents etc. Titan would be next up, arguably a bit more balanced given the intended riding and leaves space to up the fork travel if you like. Zini at the end of the scale, they quote a 71 degree head angle which is odd for a bike with a 120mm fork. 

Spec, Zini definitely a favourite with a Shimano Deore groupset and 120mm fork, however the fork is a generic white label/in house brand. So serviceability may be an issue. Both the Titan and Silverback have Rock Shox forks, so parts and servicing should never be an issue.

Personally, it would be down to either the Titan or Silverback—good spec, value, get, looks and support. Yes the SX components may not last, but that is just the derailleur and shifter really. They have the least cost ratio on maintenance and are consumable parts which can be upgraded once they're trashed. Bonus, being 12spd you can replace it with Shimano or an up-spec of Sram like NX or GX. 

Think you looking at the first Gen Zini elite. The 2023 model is a 67,5 Head tube angle.