XD Cassette coming loose - mystery

abrooke

So I have given up trying to solve this:

SRAM Eagle XX 12 spd XD cassette tightened very very firmly on to Industry Nine Torch freehub.....  randomly comes loose!  Sometimes twenty rides, sometimes one ride.  Internet says it is impossible but it is happening.  I know most people have the problem of getting off but I have the problem of staying on  - as regards the above cassette topic of course😁

Any good ideas?

Is the cassette rattly when off the bike?

Is the spline on the 50T tight on the mating spline on the driver? Any sign of wear on either?

Any play between the cassette and the core?

42 minutes ago, abrooke said:

SRAM Eagle XX 12 spd XD cassette tightened very very firmly on to Industry Nine Torch freehub.....  randomly comes loose!  Sometimes twenty rides, sometimes one ride.  Internet says it is impossible but it is happening.  I know most people have the problem of getting off but I have the problem of staying on  - as regards the above cassette topic of course😁

Any good ideas?

Some hubs require that almost paper thin washer, does It have one ? 

Might be that it needs a washer for pressure, and might not have.

A fairly easy way to check, look at your R tensioner (two screws that sets limits on derailer) and displacement between casset and frame. There should be bearly enough space for a chainring. If the chain slips in with ease you know there is a spacing issue on hub between the casset and hub. 

Either way, best of luck.

Might also be bearing ?

Edited by Bicycle Yard WESTERN CAPE

2 hours ago, abrooke said:

Any good ideas?

I recently had this but on cheaper hubs. I think it's combo of torque and fatigue. I think your threads are slowly slipping. I temp fixed mine by adding silicone to the treads before tightening 

2 hours ago, droo said:

Is the cassette rattly when off the bike?

Is the spline on the 50T tight on the mating spline on the driver? Any sign of wear on either?

Any play between the cassette and the core?

Tight tight - no sign of wear or loose cassette.  

2 hours ago, Bicycle Yard WESTERN CAPE said:

Some hubs require that almost paper thin washer, does It have one ? 

Might be that it needs a washer for pressure, and might not have.

A fairly easy way to check, look at your R tensioner (two screws that sets limits on derailer) and displacement between casset and frame. There should be bearly enough space for a chainring. If the chain slips in with ease you know there is a spacing issue on hub between the casset and hub. 

Either way, best of luck.

Might also be bearing ?

Will do.  Thx.  Am also replacing all four bearings "justin"...

1 hour ago, Ruben Hechter said:

Stripped threads perhaps?

Looks like this is the most common suggestion - worn threads leading to a bit of movement of time and a slow loosening.  Think I will try the silicon proposal.  Just really irritating when you cant get these things off and end up angle grinding to save the freehub!

post pictures of the carrier ( that thing inside the cassette where the female threads are ) and then a detailed pictures if the freehub and the male threads 

If its shifting side to side it could be that your hub body is loose or has come off, this has happened to me or like other people say it could be that there needs to be a washer in between the cassette and hub.