Old bicycle license plates

combrinck4

I lived in the Netherlands in the early 2000s. In the winter the cops would have road blocks on the fietspad to check your lights. My lights never worked, but they were always in the same place and someone would always warn you. So you would just dismount your bike and push it past the cops, say “goedenavond” to them and remount 100m down the road.

They knew what I was a doing, I knew what I was doing, but you can only get fined if they catch you riding a bike without lights and “regels zign regels”. 

it still makes me smile to remember that game. 

On 6/23/2023 at 11:42 AM, Knersboy said:

I lived in the Netherlands in the early 2000s. In the winter the cops would have road blocks on the fietspad to check your lights. My lights never worked, but they were always in the same place and someone would always warn you. So you would just dismount your bike and push it past the cops, say “goedenavond” to them and remount 100m down the road.

They knew what I was a doing, I knew what I was doing, but you can only get fined if they catch you riding a bike without lights and “regels zign regels”. 

it still makes me smile to remember that game. 

This is what makes us quintessentially South African…

…Laws are guidelines and rules are suggestions. 

Don’t hate the player, hate the game?😅

love it.

On 6/23/2023 at 9:39 AM, Stoffel76 said:

Ah, the 80's... 😄

I vaguely remember the traffic cops coming to our school and walking up and down the bike racks checking the licences and for worn tyres...

I was also stopped one night riding home from scouts by a cop because I didn't have a 'proper' light on my bike (like a good scout, I'd actually rigged a torch to my handbars as my old dynamo light had stopped working...) Gave me a lecture about how it wasn't a proper beam etc and then let me go on my way.

Lol, can you imagine an 80's spoed cop was time travelled to 2023 and let loose... Their ticket book would be klaar in 5 min!! 🤣

I also got stopped for riding without a light. Also rode with a torch, and also got told off and let go.

The only thing I recall of school in the 80's was the army patrolling around our school in the caspirs carrying R1 rifles and tin roofs on their heads.

looking back, those laaities were barely out of school themselves.

• 10 months later...
On 6/23/2023 at 8:57 AM, KidCharlemagne said:

I remember these bendable little aluminium discs that cost R1 per annum. Amusingly as a kid, I was stopped one early dusk in my neighbourhood by a copper on his motorbike. At first, I thought the traffic intervention was for riding with no light but the official was looking for this licence disc I had not had. Somewhat bemused I was let off with a warning and my dad hastily attended to this important matter.

Hi, that is so interesting around what year was it when this happened?

37 minutes ago, Christopher P. said:

Hi, that is so interesting around what year was it when this happened?

1983 I had to buy these license discs.

I believe it stopped shortly after that.