Off the bike supplements/vitamins etc.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

There are 3 types of people:

• Morning Larks
  • Somewhere in between
  • Night Owls

Circadian rhythms are physical, mental, and behavioral changes that follow a 24-hour cycle. You could be a night owl, but expected to be at work early, and then be expected to perform from the go. You might find that you perform better/efficiently from about 09:00 to 20:00, but work hours are 07:00 to 16:00. Can you change it? Yes and no. But this response was more about a routine, so here goes. 

Sleep routine/hygiene

The number of hours before bed:

• 10 - no more caffeine;
  • 3 - no more food and/or alcohol;
  • 2 - no more work (anything that you need to attend to tomorrow, make notes to get it done);
  • 1 - no more screen time (also don't watch TV in bed);
  • 0.5 - work on your breathing to bring down your heart rate and breathing (8-12 cycles per minutes. One cycle is about 3-4s in and 3-4s out).
  • 0 - no snooze button, get up when you wake up.

Environment

• Black out curtains/blinds to make the room as dark as possible;
  • No lights, eg. LEDs from a TV, phone, alarm clock (do people still use these);
  • Reduce noise levels (internally and externally, where possible);
  • The optimal temperature is 18.5 degrees Celsius.

Dos and Don'ts

• Make your bed the place where you sleep, not to watch TV, read a book, browse mobile device. When you climb into bed, your mind will know it's bed time. 
  • Many people should fall asleep within 8-10 minutes of getting into bed. If you don't, get up and do something relaxing, eg. yoga/meditation, breathing exercises, or similar that you would do 15-30 minutes before going to bed. Lying in bed hoping to fall asleep and thinking of whatever is on the mind doesn't help.
  • Prep the night before, be it clothing (work and/or riding), bags for school/work, things to get done on a priority basis.

As with any exercise, this takes time and practice to "master".  There's a lot more to dive into, eg. sleep cycles are about 90 minutes long, and we have a number of these cycles through the night.

Agree with all of this. Also fund cutting out Alcohol helps a lot with getting good sleep. Also have better quality sleep if no alcohol consumed ( lots of REM and Deep Sleep). However, for me personally, have to disagree with the no Food 3 hours before bed. I have a small carb rich meal just before bed (Millet, Quinoa, Sorghum and Puffed Brown Rice with Oat Milk) and it helps me sleep. I have mild hypoglycemia, and if my blood sugar drops too much, I get mild anxiety and can't sleep. Weird, I know. 

Edited by El Duderino

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

There are 3 types of people:

• Morning Larks
  • Somewhere in between
  • Night Owls

Circadian rhythms are physical, mental, and behavioral changes that follow a 24-hour cycle. You could be a night owl, but expected to be at work early, and then be expected to perform from the go. You might find that you perform better/efficiently from about 09:00 to 20:00, but work hours are 07:00 to 16:00. Can you change it? Yes and no. But this response was more about a routine, so here goes. 

Sleep routine/hygiene

The number of hours before bed:

• 10 - no more caffeine;
  • 3 - no more food and/or alcohol;
  • 2 - no more work (anything that you need to attend to tomorrow, make notes to get it done);
  • 1 - no more screen time (also don't watch TV in bed);
  • 0.5 - work on your breathing to bring down your heart rate and breathing (8-12 cycles per minutes. One cycle is about 3-4s in and 3-4s out).
  • 0 - no snooze button, get up when you wake up.

Environment

• Black out curtains/blinds to make the room as dark as possible;
  • No lights, eg. LEDs from a TV, phone, alarm clock (do people still use these);
  • Reduce noise levels (internally and externally, where possible);
  • The optimal temperature is 18.5 degrees Celsius.

Dos and Don'ts

• Make your bed the place where you sleep, not to watch TV, read a book, browse mobile device. When you climb into bed, your mind will know it's bed time. 
  • Many people should fall asleep within 8-10 minutes of getting into bed. If you don't, get up and do something relaxing, eg. yoga/meditation, breathing exercises, or similar that you would do 15-30 minutes before going to bed. Lying in bed hoping to fall asleep and thinking of whatever is on the mind doesn't help.
  • Prep the night before, be it clothing (work and/or riding), bags for school/work, things to get done on a priority basis.

As with any exercise, this takes time and practice to "master".  There's a lot more to dive into, eg. sleep cycles are about 90 minutes long, and we have a number of these cycles through the night.

This is brilliant. However I am in no way strong enough mentally to do this.

I choose life 😂

What I do and this kindawork for me.

We train @ 5 in the mornings winter and summer 3 times a week. So I try to eat healthy where we can with fruit and veggies and keep carbs low. Have not been sick and usually energy levels is okay. I don't have problems with sleeping, when head hits pillow I am gone. And yes I drink  a lot of coffee.

Ciplaton Multivitamin 1 a day

2-3 magnesium tablets daily as I are prone to cramping

1 iron tablet 2-3 times a week. due to side effects of constipation.

26 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

This is brilliant. However I am in no way strong enough mentally to do this.

I choose life 😂

It all comes down to what’s important in one’s life, priority wise.

For me, sleep quality is important now compared to years gone by. You can’t catch up what you’ve lost, but you can prevent losing more.