FinishTime replacing Racetec as timing company for Cape Town Cycle Tour (and other PPA races)

Skubarra

Thought this might be worth a seperate thread as its not just the CTCT affected

image.png.ee08d6cdb8160b4b3f77b1b8be71a19f.png

What is not directly mentioned is that the racetec timing chips are no more, we will have to purchase bike boards for events previously timed by Racetec (ie all PPA races, Double Century etc)

So some extra expenses in the short term but hopefully a timing system more up to date than Racetec that was showing its age

23 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

What is not directly mentioned is that the racetec timing chips are no more, we will have to purchase bike boards for events previously timed by Racetec (ie all PPA races, Double Century etc)

So some extra expenses in the short term but hopefully a timing system more up to date than Racetec that was showing its age

I have like 4 of those Racetec chips already. Every time it gets misplaced and I buy another one. Now have to buy another one again. FML

BUT .... for now at least ....

EDIT : RACE ONLINE is doing the timing on 2 September, using the old RaceTech timing boards (MTB event) - got this confirmation on Tuesday.

Screenshot_20230713_181519_Chrome.jpg.b21d1574b0b412eef91a4df5455529e1.jpg

Let's see what happens with the RaceTech boards and chips in a few months time ....

Can just see thousands line up to get new chips at CTCT2024 ...

Edited by ChrisF

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

Finish Time is doing the timing on 2 September, using the old RaceTech timing boards (MTB event) - got this confirmation on Tuesday.

Let's see what happens with the RaceTech boards and chips in a few months time ....

Just realised now they made me buy a board for the MTB Challenge. So now what? Not valid anymore?

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

Finish Time is doing the timing on 2 September, using the old RaceTech timing boards (MTB event) - got this confirmation on Tuesday.

The Racetec mtb timing boards are compatible with the FinishTime timing system, so you will still be able to use your old Racetec mtb board. However the road timing chips will be replaced

Just now, Bub Marley said:

Just realised now they made me buy a board for the MTB Challenge. So now what? Not valid anymore?

I had to buy TWO RaceTech boards at an event in Boland a few years back ....  that plus the CSA costs added up nicely to the days unexpected costs.

Aaaagg ... it is what it is.

More and more events doing timing without chipped boards in any case ... on the MTB side of things.  So this new lot might have to watch their pricing model or totally loose out.

1 minute ago, Hamstring said:

was the old yellow chip not finishing time? coz i still see them on racetec races.

Its about the technology - diffferent frequencies or something technical like that - which is why the mtb boards can still be used but not the road timing chips

So are we finally getting a seat tube mounted chip for the road bikes? Would be great if we can finally make away with those handlebar numbers for the Argus.

7 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

So are we finally getting a seat tube mounted chip for the road bikes? Would be great if we can finally make away with those handlebar numbers for the Argus.

i think those numbers are for photos and not timing... don't think i had mine on my bars

If they bought Racetec then hopefully they can carry the Racetec DB over to the new system, would hate to lose 20 years of results.

If I'm not mistaken they currently time the 947, so I have a seat post mounted chip/number.

But their results page is utter crap.

55 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

CTCTT couldn't make $$$$ out of racetec anymore? Was this info ever publicly available (i think only PPA accounts are on the web) ?

Wonder how much the sale price was.. If they don't take over the chips and chipreading infrastructure what did they buy?

the database?

software?

guaranteed income at CTCT/PPA events?

my email address?

37 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I have like 4 of those Racetec chips already. Every time it gets misplaced and I buy another one. Now have to buy another one again. FML

I have 3.

Except I only know where 1 actually is.

if they really do ditch the little orange boytjies for good, we should have a ceremonial send off some how. send them to space?

Edited by Shebeen

Let's hope FT does not mess it up like they did with the last 947 ...  If I recall correctly they used the scanners intended for running races, and those scanners could apparently not cope with the speed and/or amount of scans it had to do in a set time ...

36 minutes ago, Hamstring said:

was the old yellow chip not finishing time? coz i still see them on racetec races.

I'm also still using my old yellow one for racetec races. (well at least I was)