[Event] Old Hermon Gravel Ride

Abby.F

8 minutes ago, Abby.F said:

The website link has been updated, you can find more info here: https://capetowncycletourtrust.com/old-hermon-gravel-ride/ . The routes are suitable for gravel bikes. 

Hey Abby, I would redirect the link on the picture here :  (https://www.capetowncycletour.com/old-hermon-gravel-ride/)

image.png.9a3cdb6418ef9f30aefd113933e949fb.png

To this page https://capetowncycletourtrust.com/old-hermon-gravel-ride/

Because surely I'm not the only one who ended up multiple times on the 404, as some of the search results on google point toward the wrong site :

image.png.6e2fe392052ceb0e357db46cfc673d21.png

Like this one : https://www.cycloworld.cc/gran-fondo/south-africa/old-hermon-gravel-ride/26744

Even those that now point to the CTCTT site, if you click on the pic instead of on the button you can't enter

Also, I entered, received payment confirmation but no entry confirmation

Edited by Jbr

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/7/2023 at 9:24 AM, Jbr said:

Hey Abby, I would redirect the link on the picture here :  (https://www.capetowncycletour.com/old-hermon-gravel-ride/)

image.png.9a3cdb6418ef9f30aefd113933e949fb.png

To this page https://capetowncycletourtrust.com/old-hermon-gravel-ride/

Because surely I'm not the only one who ended up multiple times on the 404, as some of the search results on google point toward the wrong site :

image.png.6e2fe392052ceb0e357db46cfc673d21.png

Like this one : https://www.cycloworld.cc/gran-fondo/south-africa/old-hermon-gravel-ride/26744

Even those that now point to the CTCTT site, if you click on the pic instead of on the button you can't enter

Also, I entered, received payment confirmation but no entry confirmation

Also just received confirmation of payment and nothing more.

getting jittery as i have not received any entry confirmation or anything for that matter. Had to go look on their website for start and registration times..

2 hours ago, no calves said:

Also just received confirmation of payment and nothing more.

getting jittery as i have not received any entry confirmation or anything for that matter. Had to go look on their website for start and registration times..

I got one email from them where they confirmed payment and details for registration etc.

Im sure well get another email this week with start time details etc. Looks like its going to be a muddy one with the recent rainfalls.

41 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

The route for tomorrow 😥

Oh joy!!

I was in 2 minds if I'm going to be doing this on my gravel or mountain bike.

Now I am in 2 minds if I even want to do this at all.

Either forfeit my R500 entry or spend R3k repairing my bike at the bike shop next week.

Any one else considering this?

23 minutes ago, Chingy182 said:

Oh joy!!

I was in 2 minds if I'm going to be doing this on my gravel or mountain bike.

Now I am in 2 minds if I even want to do this at all.

Either forfeit my R500 entry or spend R3k repairing my bike at the bike shop next week.

Any one else considering this?

Very good question 

my gravel bike has a cheaper/older component set

Im pretty much fed up with this rains now if I’m honest. I’m also in 2 minds now about this and it’s probably still gonna rain more this afternoon.

6 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Im pretty much fed up with this rains now if I’m honest. I’m also in 2 minds now about this and it’s probably still gonna rain more this afternoon.

Even if the rains have stopped, the damage is done.
I don't see this road improving from now until tomorrow morning based on the video evidence.

I'm leaning more to forfeiting at the moment, sad to say

image.png.d1595fafbc64aa5026ebc302edd6a18b.png

👆and then the organisers urging people to car pool or cycle to the venue says a lot about the current, and expected state of the roads. 

I was considering sitting this one out after seeing the rain today, the above validates my decision to give this a skip. Feels like another around the pot situation waiting to happen. 

Gravel is the cheaper option for maintenance, but i cant see myself dodging potholes for 85km. Nor hitting them for that distance either.

Skipping seems like the best option

My plan is to see how it goes after Bain’s, the route comes back near the parking area just before halfway ? If it’s too bad then just pull out… but seems like quite a trip to go all way just to see 🙄🙄

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

My plan is to see how it goes after Bain’s, the route comes back near the parking area just before halfway ? If it’s too bad then just pull out… but seems like quite a trip to go all way just to see 🙄🙄

Taking gravel or mtb?

34 minutes ago, no calves said:

Taking gravel or mtb?

I’ll bring both and warmup on the MTB, get a feel for the nearby roads but highly unlikely that I decide to ride the mtb

18 hours ago, Jbr said:

I’ll bring both and warmup on the MTB, get a feel for the nearby roads but highly unlikely that I decide to ride the mtb

Looks like it went okay ?

IMG_20230826_145907.jpg

On 8/26/2023 at 2:59 PM, babse said:

Looks like it went okay ?

IMG_20230826_145907.jpg

Hardest race of my life 🤣🤣

my 0 friction setup lasted about 100m, the last 20k was about 100% friction 😜😜

IMG_8791.mov
IMG_8793.mov  

Otherwise yeah it was chaos from the start, a guy OTB’ed right in front of me in a descent, I somehow managed to un-hook my left handlebar drop from his wheel within seconds but here I was already having to chase my way back into the lead group. Then 2nd effort of the day was trying to hang on to the pros up the climb, until they started attacking. After bain’s it was a long ride with Dan that I caught on the descent until about 60k when I couldn’t keep up with him up the thousand rollers this course had. Then 20km of making my way through the hundreds of people from the other routes that were cruising around the potholes like I was doing, except it would cause them to swerve right in front of me on numerous occasions. Managed to make my way to the finish without a single crash 😜 Can't say the same about Dan who entertained me a couple of times with some spectacular stunts ☺️ before he disappeared in the distance

Edited by Jbr