Unlock Your Potential: Personalized Training Plans with FitPlanConnect! 🏃🚴‍♂️🏊‍♂️

2 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Any reason it only uses the last 5?

I know nothing about making training plans, but I would assume you need to have a little more history than that. 

There isn't really much more information to be gathered by going further back than your 5 most recent rides.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, El Duderino said:

Going to sign up for this...due to illness and injury have only 7 weeks to get in shape for W2W end of October. Eish!

A new bike helps the recovery process immensely! 😁

Not sure that it is working for me, it gives me a summary of my Garmin and Strava activities, then end the text box with:

Now, let's generate a training plan for the next 7 days to help you achieve your goal of completing a half marathon by the end of the year.

And nothing after that. Should it be doing something else?

21 hours ago, fandacious said:

There isn't really much more information to be gathered by going further back than your 5 most recent rides.

That's less than a week's worth of training sessions for a semi serious rider.
For a cyclist that also commutes by bike that might be 4 commutes and 1 training session.

Surely you need multiple key sessions and multiple weeks to detect training trends...

2 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

For a cyclist that also commutes by bike that might be 4 commutes and 1 training session.

Surely you need multiple key sessions and multiple weeks to detect training trends...

was thinking the same, but I dont know enough about this stuff.

I know my 5 most recent rides were not representative of my usual training as I've been winding down for saturdays big ride.

But I'll give it another shot in a week or 2 and see what it spits out.

5 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Yep - I commute + train on an average weekday so last 5 rides would not even cover 2 days for me...

>I know my 5 most recent rides were not representative of my usual training as I've been winding down for saturdays big ride.

sure - and it would pick this up because it knows what your heart rate / power meter ranges are. So it would know that these are easy rides for you

Adding hard rides that you did more than 2 weeks ago have very little bearing on your current training regiment.

We spent a few months doing different configurations and this was the best combination in terms of accuracy without needing bucket loads of data.

All of that said, we are looking at either making the "number of activities" configurable or just bumping it up to 10 activities over the last 2 weeks

Edited by fandacious

1 minute ago, fandacious said:

>I know my 5 most recent rides were not representative of my usual training as I've been winding down for saturdays big ride.

sure - and it would pick this up because it knows what your heart rate / power meter ranges are. So it would know that these are easy rides for you

Adding hard rides that you did more than 2 weeks ago have very little bearing on your current training regiment.

We spent a few months doing different configurations and this was the best combination in terms of accuracy without needing bucket loads of data

like I said, dont know much about this stuff, so I need to take your word for it.

I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating, only way to see if it works is to follow the plan.

Just now, The Ouzo said:

like I said, dont know much about this stuff, so I need to take your word for it.

I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating, only way to see if it works is to follow the plan.

All of that said, we are looking at either making the "number of activities" configurable or just bumping it up to 10 activities over the last 2 weeks

:)

Curiosity piqued. Signing up to see what it'll spit out.
Does it pull Strava profile configuration for HR and power zones?

My last 5 rides are:

• Recovery ride
  • Intervals with mid-distance
  • mid-distance z2
  • 90min z2 on trainer after a rest day
  • 90min z2 on trainer

7 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Curiosity piqued. Signing up to see what it'll spit out.
Does it pull Strava profile configuration for HR and power zones?

My last 5 rides are:

• Recovery ride
  • Intervals with mid-distance
  • mid-distance z2
  • 90min z2 on trainer after a rest day
  • 90min z2 on trainer

Yep - it will pull your HR and power zones on the athlete, as well as HR/power info on the activities and then infer fitness from that

Feedback on the summary:

• A nice little breakdown.
  • Average speed of 25.6 reported, but the slowest ride was done at 27.2
  • It reports elevation gain, so is taking that into account somehow, but IDT rides (for me) have no elevation. Not sure how much this will affect things.

Feedback on the programme:

• Day 1 - 2h z2
    Strange to recommend this coming off of a rest day and 2 days 90min z2 in the last 3 days.
  • Day 2 - 3min intervals with 1:1 work to rest ratio.
    A good session for sure, but doesn't specify number of repeats. It says to do until the end of the ride meaning only 3min of cool-down and probably too many repeats. Workout is specified as 40km with 10min warm-up.
  • Day 3 - 1h recovery ride
    Not what I would have went for, but not terrible. Big problem though is that this is Saturday and I have time to train, so what a waste!
  • Day 4 - 50km hilly route doing hills hard.
    Not a very specific specification and the execution (in real time and post analysis) is not very measurable. Not a good session. Two days after doing VO2max intervals, eish I would not perform well... Also, it's Sunday I have more time than this!
  • Day 5 - 70km tempo
    Hell no. Adding fatigue the day after hills with very little training stimulus. Also now you throw a longer session my way now that it's a work day?
  • Day 6 - 80km endurance
    Longest ride of the 7 days. Hard to fit in on a Tuesday. It's also not long enough to get me into long ride benefits. My data (which the algorithm didn't look far enough back to see) indicates I need to cross the 4h mark.
  • Day 7 - 40km recovery ride
    Mate, I came into this 7-day programme with 2 days training logged, you need to schedule a day off!

General feedback: 

• I assumed Day 1 is tomorrow since I already did a ride today, but the programme should specify when to start (or if you haven't done a ride today ask to confirm if you want to start today or tomorrow).
  • It needs to schedule at least one rest day per week.
  • It should space out intensity days more.
  • It should be calendar aware and use weekends wisely.
  • A rider with power data should be given power targets for intervals.
  • It should require me to input training hours available and/or look further back to see how much I actually train. It prescribed 20% less than my regular active week training volume.

Honestly, this might sound overly critical, but it violated quite a few basic fundamental training principles. A universally applicable one sentence piece of advice would lead to 95% of people self selecting better sessions to fill out a week.