Purchases from Aliexpress

Rastas

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one purchase from AliExpress so far, but was a painless process. Paid and shipped in the same week, then took about 2 Months to clear customs and get to my local post office. Paid some duties and got my light easily. Might have been lucky, but still would not trust SAPO with money I am not okay to lose.

Bought chainrings and chainring bolts from Ali, received my order everytime, just took long. I must ad the chainrings were cheap. The power meter is pricey, If I was in your position I wouldnt buy it from ali.

Just my thoughts

Interesting; clicked the link in your original post, shipping for the165mm:

Shipping: ZAR1,257.33 
Estimated delivery: 10-18 days 

…then, clicked on SAME item, but 175mm….

Shipping: ZAR183.74 
From China to South Africa via AliExpress Selection Standard 
Estimated delivery on Nov 07 

…hell of a difference in SHIPPING cost!!! If you are prepared to wait, then MAYBE shipping of the 165mm could come down, too…?
Seems odd, but all from THEIR website!

I have bought many items from Aliexpress. Shipping takes long, about 90 percent arrives. If it is an expensive item, open an Aramex global shopper account. You'll pay some duty when it arrives. Aramex courier is faster and more reliable than Aliexpress shipping which has our post office this side as the weak link.

I buy a lot from AliX in PRC, no problems, but I don't use their shipping to SA.

I use Aramex Global Shopper,  generally use the Hong Kong address, otherwise Singapore. Often shipping there is low cost and reliable. Then once in the Aramex system when its arrives there you upload an Invoice, pay the shipping, then the customs and VAT and it generally goes well.

Not the cheapest way of doing it but it happens, not had any lost shipments. But my orders are generally US $100 or more to make it worth while.

SAPO Parcel Post is just not an option anymore.

Edited by kosmonooit

On 11 Nov 2017 I ordered/bought a Xcade crank power meter on Aliexpress.

Still works perfectly 👌

at the time of purchase GP lama also give it a good review

I also use Aramex Global shopper now for my orders - Singapore address

Received 5 diff parcels 3 weeks ago thru sapo. It took about  4 and 5 months before I received it. cost me a total of R100 at the post office and the items totaled about R1000.

I doubt I would order again with delivery through sapo as their future is very unclear at the moment.

There's been a major decline with regards to the Post Office, I used to be able to collect at the PO in my area, then they closed due to non payment of rent. Thereafter I needed to collect my goods from a PO in a nearby area, they've now closed too. Last week I had to collect something from the PO in a whole different suburb. I think the poor PO is in bad shape.

I've ordered hundred's of items over the years.
Here and there an item got lost, mainly because of the SA Post Office but AliExpress refunded me.
Earlier this year I order some stuff and collected it from the Post Office 2 weeks later - thought the world was coming to an end.
The next order took 4 weeks but some have take 2 - 3 months - mainly because of the Post Office.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I understand Sapo is the weak link, just wanted to make sure AliExpress was 'legit'

Appreciate the feedback

I am truly surprised by how many people still use the SAPO. :eek:

I used to send packages via SpeedServices for years.  During the October 2014 protests they "lost" nearly R10k worth of my packages in two weeks.   Been using couriers ever since.

Ironically the couriers, for a full pick up and drop off service, was cheaper than SpeedServices.  And simply so much more convenient.

I will never use SAPO again

Don't have a choice but to use the PO.

I did once order a bicycle light which came with a battery and that arrived via courier (came from Turkey) and was also here within 2 or 3 weeks.

Would be great if AliExpress had to use Buffalo like Shein do but they haven't got there yet.

Personally I've seen better service from PO this year, seems that closing majority of the branches has slightly help with processing packages

20 minutes ago, Rastas said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I understand Sapo is the weak link, just wanted to make sure AliExpress was 'legit'

Appreciate the feedback

AliExpress is certainly legit.

As already mentioned, shipping is a problem if you don't use Aramex Global.

The other thing to look out for is sellers with few ratings. It's always a bit hit and miss with AliExpress, but generally, the sellers with good ratings can be trusted.

8 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

On 11 Nov 2017 I ordered/bought a Xcade crank power meter on Aliexpress.

Still works perfectly 👌

at the time of purchase GP lama also give it a good review

I also use Aramex Global shopper now for my orders - Singapore address

Any reason in particular you use Singapore? Hong Kong not quicker?