Panaracer Gravelking

Prince Albert Cycles

Let me start out by saying I love them and get great service from the importers .

But I seem to struggle way more than with other brands of tubeless tyres to get that first seating on the rim despite using all the known tricks.

Anyone else ?

GravelKing SS here, they were difficult to seal on its first seating for me, needed to throw in quite a bit of sealant. But since then I have taken them on and off with no issues.

Also happy with them, great tires.

Edited by NeverNotRolling

2 hours ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Let me start out by saying I love them and get great service from the importers .

But I seem to struggle way more than with other brands of tubeless tyres to get that first seating on the rim despite using all the known tricks.

Anyone else ?

I have heard about this issue from a fellow cyclist. At first, I couldn't relate as I'd had no trouble seating them. I realised the difference though - I have Bontrager rims that come standard with a rim strip instead of tape. I can only assume the rim strip has more volume and therefore allows the tyre to seat more easily.

Have you tried the soapy water around the rim trick?

18 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Tried soapy water , left in the sun etc.

Charles Key from Switchbacksports suggested a second layer of rim tape . Did that and voila ! 

That aligns with my experience using the rim strips, as additional layers of rim tape would be a similar thickness as the rim strips. 

Glad you came right. 

36 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Tried soapy water , left in the sun etc.

Charles Key from Switchbacksports suggested a second layer of rim tape . Did that and voila ! 

I also had to use two layers of tape

4 hours ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Anyone else ?

They are the worst! Especially on anything with a deeper centre channel. They were so hard to get right on a set of hope 20Five’s that i didnt even bother ever riding with a tube. If they flatted and the tubeless didnt to it’s thing….then you are screwed anyway haha.

58 minutes ago, MORNE said:

They are the worst! Especially on anything with a deeper centre channel. They were so hard to get right on a set of hope 20Five’s that i didnt even bother ever riding with a tube. If they flatted and the tubeless didnt to it’s thing….then you are screwed anyway haha.

OK. This battle was on a Zipp 303 which has a deep centre channel 

Last week I mounted a pair of GravelKing SS+ 38c on a set of Crest Mk4 rims and within 6-7 strokes of my track pump they sealed and seated with very satisfying and loud snaps.

These rims don't have a deep channel, so I didn't struggle.

All wheels I build get 2 layers of thin, smooth plastic tape, similar to the yellow Stan's tape, but blue.

DSC_1620.jpg

If i recall @NickGM couldn’t even get a pair onto his wheels, as in they wouldn't even go over the bead or something.

edit: i replaced mine with some pirelli gravel H’s after i ran the panas bold. A prettier tire imo, i never liked the nasty white branding on the pana’s, especially on the tanwall one…reminds me of how ugly maxxis tire sidewalls are.

Edited by MORNE

7 minutes ago, MORNE said:

If i recall @NickGM couldn’t even get a pair onto his wheels, as in they wouldn't even go over the bead or something.

edit: i replaced mine with some pirelli gravel H’s after i ran the panas bold. A prettier tire imo, i never liked the nasty white branding on the pana’s, especially on the tanwall one…reminds me of how ugly maxxis tire sidewalls are.

IMG_8672.jpeg

IMG_8756.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

7 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Correct, good memory.

I switched to specialized pathfinders and didnt look back.

Only other thing i can add to this convo is that the SK in Gravelking SK stands for Small Knob.

46 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Function PLUS aesthetics for the win, I’m all in.

16 hours ago, NickGM said:

Correct, good memory.

I switched to specialized pathfinders and didnt look back.

Only other thing i can add to this convo is that the SK in Gravelking SK stands for Small Knob.

does the DT Swiss stand for DikTril then?