Garmin Edge 130 Battery replacement

phenning

Day 2, another 1h24m of run time, still on 80%.

The screen seems to be slowly getting better, maybe some heat from the sun will sort it out properly.

Lets just say I'm rather chuffed with the new battery, no more daily charging and "range anxiety" like i used to have.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/21/2024 at 11:35 AM, The Ouzo said:

Day 2, another 1h24m of run time, still on 80%.

The screen seems to be slowly getting better, maybe some heat from the sun will sort it out properly.

Lets just say I'm rather chuffed with the new battery, no more daily charging and "range anxiety" like i used to have.

Reviving this thread again as I would like to do the same on my Edge130.  @The Ouzothe battery still holding up?

21 minutes ago, rcerrie said:

Reviving this thread again as I would like to do the same on my Edge130.  @The Ouzothe battery still holding up?

Its holding up very well, even in this cold. I do 4 rides with it before charging (thats around 6-7hours total on time), and the charge is just precautionary as I do a longer ride on a sunday and dont want to risk it dying on me.

How has the waterproofing held up after the repairs? I'm not keen on having a leaky unit (phrasing!) when I'm done, I get caught out in the rain quite a bit.

24 minutes ago, droo said:

How has the waterproofing held up after the repairs? I'm not keen on having a leaky unit (phrasing!) when I'm done, I get caught out in the rain quite a bit.

I have not put it to the test yet, only had the occasional splash and some light rain since doing it.

The tolerances between the glass and the unit are close, so with the shoe glue around the entire rim I dont foresee any water ingress. Even in heavy rain its not like the unit is being held under a pool of water.

On 7/10/2024 at 10:01 AM, droo said:

Waterproofing is fine, Sune  actually put the unit through the washing machine  since the repair

On 7/10/2024 at 8:42 AM, rcerrie said:

I thought  you had jinxed it, as the days after this post saw the unit having zero battery life when turning it on in the morning.

At first I thought I forgot to charge it. Tried again. Second ride, zero battery. 

Then I thought it was not charging properly, tried again, made sure it was 100% charged, turned it on this morning, zero battery.

When this happens I tape a powerbank to the bars and ride with the unit plugged in. This morning whilst riding it decided to restart itself, but because it was dark out I did not notice. So only have half a ride recorded.

But I monitored the unit after taking it off the bike this morning and found the problem, Auto Power Off is disabled. I dont know if it was a Garmin update that did this (wont be the first time the screw up a setting after an update), or if it was me. I know I was thinking about changing it, but remember deciding not to for this exact reason.

@The OuzoGreat news that you found the problem. I am sure it holds up just fine. I must give this a go as my original battery only lasts about 45min. But on the other hand my winter fitness level corrosponds to the Garmin's battery life and cycling around the block might be a viable option.... for now 😄

This thread has been a great help to me. Recently decided to change the battery and all is looking well! I’ve had two 4 hour rides so far and the battery is still at 38%.. went with 200Mah rated battery. Was relatively straightforward upgrade.. 

IMG_3800.jpeg

IMG_3802.jpeg

IMG_3804.jpeg

IMG_3805.jpeg

IMG_3806.jpeg

IMG_3807.jpeg

IMG_3809.jpeg

IMG_3810.jpeg

DA1F1EB8-EF1A-40B1-AE61-14DDB989C14C.jpeg

7 hours ago, MTB MIKEY said:

This thread has been a great help to me. Recently decided to change the battery and all is looking well! I’ve had two 4 hour rides so far and the battery is still at 38%.. went with 200Mah rated battery. Was relatively straightforward upgrade.. 

IMG_3800.jpeg

IMG_3802.jpeg

IMG_3804.jpeg

IMG_3805.jpeg

IMG_3806.jpeg

IMG_3807.jpeg

IMG_3809.jpeg

IMG_3810.jpeg

DA1F1EB8-EF1A-40B1-AE61-14DDB989C14C.jpeg

Just to confirm, is this the battery that you used as the replacement battery?

Battery LiPo 200mAh 3.7V - Micro Robotics

Just now, MTB MIKEY said:

Yes it is.. ended up having to buy 4 as they complained purchasing one wasn’t economical for them,their courier partner was apparently too expensive.

maybe because you are in KZN, they didnt have an issue with 1 battery for me (although maybe they changed couriers or something else changed)

Got my hands on another edge 130 plus… should test new battery on Sunday.. letting screen dry properly .. gps, cadence sensor and heart rate monitor all functional 😁👨🏽‍🔧

IMG_4100.jpeg