George or Mossel Bay

CarmenRogans4

Good Day Everyone,

We are leaving Gauteng in favour of the Western Cape in April next year and are looking at two areas - George & Mossel Bay. Does anyone live in either town and who can attest to the safety of riding out there? We know of the informal settlement near Dana Bay (how risky is it).

I lived in Mossel Bay - Some time back though 1990 - 1995

I wanted to move back beginning of the year and would certainly choose George over Mossel bay.

Mossel Bay, is a great place for holiday and has seen huge groweth over the years since i lived there. However it still remains a holiday town and is absolute chaos during holiday season, making it rather unpleasant if your a local - or great if you have a business that services the holiday makers.

When i looked at property i found George offers better value for money than Mossel Bay

Also be warned - if you intend opening your own business in both Mossel Bay or George - things are still controlled by a few old stadsvader families, who throw around a lot of influence and can make it rather difficult if they view your business as a threat to any of their business interests.

Also be ready to adjust to a small town mentality, where everyone knows everyones business - Fart in the bath and it will make the weekly paper by Friday. 

But its a great place to move to - Good Luck

I grew up in Mossel Bay. Great place, but crazy over the holiday periods. Though, it has grown a lot and no longer a small town! Property prices definitely higher due to location by the sea. 

Many hubbers from the area on here who can attest to current safety. I have been down recently (and have a few hubber friends in the area) and had no issues. There are a couple of hotspots, e.g. Diaz Beach corner in the direction of Mossel Bay or the informal settlement on the road leading to the N2 as mentioned, but the roads out to George or Oudtshoorn are safe for solo rides. That said, one does not need to avoid the hotspots, just be alert.

Edited by Smartie

George would be the better choice.

Close to Wilderness with some nice MTB rides up to Harkerville and surrounds.

Depending on fitness, you could also look to do Montagu pass (not sure of condition though post the rains) but there is a nice wine farm the other side of the pass that one can stop at for lunch etc.

Also some decent farm roads out airport way as well.

I lived in George between '82 and '13 and between George and Mosselbay, I would opt for George for all the reasons already mentioned. Just beware cycling alone as there have been incidents in the past, especially around the dam and also around Witfontein.

But no need to fixate on George or Mosselbay as specific locations, with so many options available between them as well. Deciding where to stay there is about so much more than just where to ride. Will commute to schools / work etc. be a factor? If so, schools in George are better than Mosselbay. 

Congratulations on the decision to move down south, away from the big smoke. I'm sure no matter where you end up, you're going to love it.

Also look at the little (not so little anymore) towns between George and Mossel Bay. Groot Brak, Klein Brak, Herolds Bay, Glentana. 

My elderly mom lives in Hartenbos and I must say that the Mossel Bay Municipality is one of the very well functioning ones. Whenever we have issues with municipal services they sort it out. Also, municipal infrastructure and staff works. The town is clean and well cared for.

My father cycled alone (into very old age) on the roads between George and Hartenbos untill about 3 years ago and never had any security issues. He just always complained that "the Transvalers" clogged the roads too much over the December / January holiday season.

Edited by DJR

If you are asking this question on the hub then I guess you haven't spent enough time in either place. Go spend at least a week (more if you can) in each town before you decide. There are a gazillion subjective factors to consider, never mind bike safety. I have spent a lot of time in both. If I had to pick, then neither would be my first choice. I would stay in one of the smaller towns in-between. 

Ok I should clarify - we are both remote workers who potentially need easy access to the airport. All areas have been considered (I spend my holidays in sedgefield on a farm - since I was a newborn) however it’s ease of access to the airport mainly. I know the areas fairly well but I’m not on any bike groups or anything that would give me access to this type of information. The move is simply lifestyle aimed so of course I’ll come To the hub to ask cycling related queries, thanks @Stephan.

Anywhere between George and Mossel Bay you are never more than 20 minutes from the airport. 30 Minutes if you include parking and walking to the check in counter. Probably quicker than getting out of George in holiday season.

Edited by DJR

When I left George 10 years ago it would take me around 30 - 40 minutes to drive across town from Fancourt side to the mall. I used to surf, and getting to Vicbay was a pain in the a$$ eventually. It would be quicker to go via the airport / N2. 

If airport access is a requirement, then staying on the Western side of George is viable. In terms of cycling there are many routes to ride all across the place, depending on what kind of riding you do.

Send me a whatsapp: 0836508141

I'll give you my experience as someone who lives in George and does a fair amount of riding in the area... ;)

Cheers.

Edited by Matthys Beukes 87

• 5 months later...