[Event] Tour de PPA

Pedal Power Association

37 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Seeding already updated on PPA website. 

Oh my, I did not expect that.

winning time only adjusted by 1 min, beta of 0.69.

my index went from 23 to 11 😂

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 'rant' about a few things:

1. Why were the A bunch neutralised until Wellington road, but B group (from what I'm told) went bat **** crazy through Durbanville from the start - that already creates an unfair advantage when looking at finishing times.

2. When looking at seeding, with regards to the above, naturally the B bunch also containing the racing ladies (and bunches further down) has an advantage on time - why isn't that factored in? Granted, today was a mess in A - narrowly missed the first crash (it happened a bike length ahead and just to the left of me) and was far ahead enough to miss the 2nd one [heal up soon injured riders]. Then spent most of the day safely in the break, only to be caught with less than 1km to go.

3. Why are the staet groups so big?! I estimate 150 riders, similar to 99'er (where the Elite group was stopped for 90sec more or less [white line rule]), where the riders are mostly equally strong (but some still ride like tjops) and the group doesn't thin out. Almost the whole Elite group came up the climb together for 99er - there just isn't enough space on the road for such a big group.

4. If the start groups need to be that big, then full rolling road closure needs to be investigated ie the full width of the road is used for the peloton, closing / clearing the road further up, and reopened when passed. Any breakaway can stick to the left of the white line.

Please @Pedal Power Association, too many riders got seriously hurt today, and it was unnecessary. Very few (if any) are paid to ride our bikes, but the safety of riders (or what felt like the lack therof today) is going to reduce the interest in participating in cycling events.

I think from C group down the absence of a proper climb anywhere on the course makes for large bunches and increased risks. We really do need vissershok back.

That having been said - there wasn't any real reason for all the crashes in C today apart from rider error.

The seeding is now a mess. The group minimum for A has shifted to 11.99 so I got bumped down a group. 
im not terribly interested in doing anything about it but it does mean im less excited about CTCT as this is going to create a bit of havoc with the groups if people now get reseeded for ctct 

10 minutes ago, Mamil said:

....- there wasn't any real reason for all the crashes in C today apart from rider error.

In 99er, mid pack, and today at the back of PPA it was "alarming" to see the inability of people to keep a line !!

Half wheel, then just swerve hard to the side ...

Maybe too much Zwift time, and not enough bunch riding time ?

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

In 99er, mid pack, and today at the back of PPA it was "alarming" to see the inability of people to keep a line !!

Half wheel, then just swerve hard to the side ...

Maybe too much Zwift time, and not enough bunch riding time ?

This is why I seldom race on the road anymore. So so risky

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

Sadly it will take a few of these accidents, and a couple of line crossing DQ's to drive the message home.

30 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The seeding is now a mess. The group minimum for A has shifted to 11.99 so I got bumped down a group. 
im not terribly interested in doing anything about it but it does mean im less excited about CTCT as this is going to create a bit of havoc with the groups if people now get reseeded for ctct 

I have to agree, even though this seeding significantly helps me.

There’s no way a 2:50 today equates to an 11 index in any rational world, and yet…

Just now, MongooseMan said:

I have to agree, even though this seeding significantly helps me.

There’s no way a 2:50 today equates to an 11 index in any rational world, and yet…

Curiosity sake ...

What was the wind like for the early bunches along Adderley ?

It was brutal by 11:00

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Curiosity sake ...

What was the wind like for the early bunches along Adderley ?

It was brutal by 11:00

There, but far less than 99er

Edited by MongooseMan

17 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Ja - I'm re-evaluating it myself after today's close call. I'll ride tour du cap first week of march where there's a smaller group, all way stronger than me, so we stragglers will take a nice noodle through the stages but the way I feel at the moment I may just get out the gravel bike for CTCT  and do a 5 hour coffee ride... I say that now ....

Yeah, I'd love to know what this does to @DieselnDust's theory that "sub 15 index pretty much guarantees a racing group" (I paraphrase, but it's largely accurate)

Gonna be a lot of those from today (many from C group...)