How many helmets is too many helmets.?

Bichael Dewing

5 hours ago, RobynE said:

Yes and no. If you want to see ridiculous marketing shop for horse riding helmets lol. Same safety rating on one that costs 15k as one that costs 2k. Aesthetics undoubtedly play a role as well as keeping up with the Jones’ both in cycling and equestrian sports.

I don’t believe you get what you pay for as you can pay through your +rse and still get the same safety rating as something significantly less expensive. 

Sweat, sun exposure, being dropped, falls - helmets age, no doubt. 

To me it’s a small price to pay for peace of mind. For less than the price of a latte a couple of times a month, it’s a no-brainer (yep I did that) and if you want one in every colour and style that’s cool too 😎 

Well I have the one that matches my bike quite nicely.. im trying to justify a black and a white one as well.! 🤣🤣🤣

Sweat is so bad.! I’ve actually decided that my kit needs to go in the wash IMMEDIATELY when I get home.. I know it’s designed for it, but it’s expensive stuff.. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, RossTopher said:

I thought 1 was enough, given they "expire", but then I got a 2nd helmet and I saw that it was good. 

Then I got a 3rd helmet and now I feel complete.

The lightweight racy black helmet, the comfy, safe, sturdy, added visibility white helmet, and the airy, grey one that fits in the middle.

That’s pretty much the set up im looking for.. black one, white one, and the one I have already matches my bike colours..

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

R1150 buys you the Spez Align II, with MIPS in an array of colours. 

Helmet testing institute has it in the top 20 of ALL bicycle helmets in terms of test results.

It also looks good. 

https://freewheel.co.za/products/align-ii-mips

So, for me, that is the 'base' model I compare all helmets too. I have been using one as my road helmet for nearly 3 years. 

My take on this is general knocks, miscellaneous falls off the shelf, being dropped or knocked off the coffee table, the kids kicking it etc....  3 years ish of small knocks, drops etc coupled with sweat, polystyrene being exposed to sun etc and constant use says it likely has some degeneration issues/hairline cracks and won't work as optimally as it should.

The Align II with MIPS makes it an easy sell at roughly 340zar a year  

Aaah but can you have a specialized helmet if you don’t ride specialized.?! 

my OCD says it’s not allowed.!😳🤣🤣

like wearing a Harley jacket on a triumph etc🤔

25 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

Is it really? So if you own a Giant bike you can only wear Giant branded helmets, clothes and shoes?

Or if you own a TREK you can only wear Bontrager?

If you have two different brand bikes, do you have two completely different kit/helmet/shoes setups?

I just buy whatever ticks the boxes of affordable but still decent. I really couldn't care if my shoes are Shimano and my drivetrain is SRAM. Life must be incredibly complicated and limiting if everything needs to brand and colour match. 

Is one allowed to wear Fox trail shorts and have a RockShox fork? Or does that set off your spidey sensors?

Or have a SRAM drivetrain with Shimano pedals!!!!! the sacrilege!!!! hahahahaha

I hope you never have to see any of my bikes, you would melt like a witch with a bucket of water thrown over you

40 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

It’s not a fashion accessory like those popular long sock's where cyclists keep their comb to adjust their hair before quaffing a cappuccino at the 1/2 way coffee stop.

Your head won’t care when it hits the ground, you can have a helmet for every day of the month as long as you wear it.

If you’re worried about efficiency, red Specialized helmets are more aerodynamic.

17 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Is it really? So if you own a Giant bike you can only wear Giant branded helmets, clothes and shoes?

Or if you own a TREK you can only wear Bontrager?

If you have two different brand bikes, do you have two completely different kit/helmet/shoes setups?

I just buy whatever ticks the boxes of affordable but still decent. I really couldn't care if my shoes are Shimano and my drivetrain is SRAM. Life must be incredibly complicated and limiting if everything needs to brand and colour match. 

Is one allowed to wear Fox trail shorts and have a RockShox fork? Or does that set off your spidey sensors?

Or have a SRAM drivetrain with Shimano pedals!!!!! the sacrilege!!!! hahahahaha

I hope you never have to see any of my bikes, you would melt like a witch with a bucket of water thrown over you

Haha yeah my OCD screws me over on many occasions.. 

with anything I’ve done, stand alone brands are fine.. so no, if you had a trek, bontrager is ideal but a met/bell/rudy project helmet would be fine.. they don’t make bikes.. but I wouldn’t be able to use a specialized/giant/scott helmet.. 

I have a Scott bike but a bell helmet.. 

I’ve changed a bunch of the Syncros parts out because of budget but again I wouldn’t put bontrager stem on my Scott..

I live in a difficult world.!! 😰🤣🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

Haha yeah my OCD screws me over on many occasions.. 

with anything I’ve done, stand alone brands are fine.. so no, if you had a trek, bontrager is ideal but a met/bell/rudy project helmet would be fine.. they don’t make bikes.. but I wouldn’t be able to use a specialized/giant/scott helmet.. 

I have a Scott bike but a bell helmet.. 

I’ve changed a bunch of the Syncros parts out because of budget but again I wouldn’t put bontrager stem on my Scott..

I live in a difficult world.!! 😰🤣🤣🤣

I'm trying to build a seatpost long enough and sturdy enough to be reliable and allow a proper seated position on my BMX. I've taken a Ritchey 27.2 and cut the top off, cut a Pro handlebar to make a shim, then stuck  a piece of Giant 27.2mm post to make a super long post and am now using a 30.9 Spez seatpost to slide over the join/extra piece to attach the saddle and stabilize the whole thing....

Did you just die inside? 🫠

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm trying to build a seatpost long enough and sturdy enough to be reliable and allow a proper seated position on my BMX. I've taken a Ritchey 27.2 and cut the top off, cut a Pro handlebar to make a shim, then stuck  a piece of Giant 27.2mm post to make a super long post and am now using a 30.9 Spez seatpost to slide over the join/extra piece to attach the saddle and stabilize the whole thing....

Depends ... what brand is the BMX.? :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Yeah I just had a seizure reading that.!!🤣🤣

but I also respect the **** out of making a plan bro.!😃🤘🏻

2 hours ago, Michael Dewing said:

Sweat is so bad.! I’ve actually decided that my kit needs to go in the wash IMMEDIATELY when I get home.. I know it’s designed for it, but it’s expensive stuff..

in the shower with me straight after every ride. Helmet, gloves, sunglasses (because they get coverd in sweat), HR strap, Bib. The only thing that waits for the washing machine is the cycling top.

3 hours ago, Michael Dewing said:

Welllllll......

The only shoes that fit me properly is from Specialized.  I only use Specalized's spare tubes (smallest size, while still being a proper spare)

I have convinced myself that is sort of okay .... on other brands of bikes.

Best still is a the owner of a local bike shop, that is an authorised distributor of a couple of other brands .... but his weapon of choice for events is a Specialized (with the stickers removed).  

In reality, only keyboard worriors get upset by these things .... the real rides get together after the ride and share their trail stories.

20 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

I'm still not convinced that it's more than a tiny, marginal improvement marketed as the best thing since airbags. Much like Kashima.

I've had several helmets with it. My current MTB helmet (Spez Ambush 2) has it, but my road helmet (Giro Agilis) does not. Do I think the Ambush is safer? Yes, but because it's much larger with much more coverage, not because it has MIPS.

Oh, back to the topic: There are 4 helmets in my gear cupboard, 2 of which are actively used.

I am. But only because I’ve suffered concussion after a simple, relatively low energy crash that caused my head to rotate. Older helmet, no MIPS. Now we only have MIPS or Turbine360 helmets in the house. I’ll take that marginal improvement.

18 hours ago, RobynE said:

Yesterday my kiddo baled off her bike in absolutely spectacular fashion - hit a loose brick lying in the road just outside someone’s house as she was headed down a dirt road at speed. Just in the last month I’d changed her helmet as I noticed a dent in the foam of her old helmet - likely from being dropped. The new helmet has a loose peak/visor and man am I glad, as that visor took some damage yesterday and had it been her old helmet she probably would have had some whiplash plus the impact was just where the old one had a ding (old one has a fixed peak). Had she not had a peak we would have had as a minimum face roasties to go with the arm, knee and chest roasties, or potentially a trip to A&E for X-rays/CT for a head injury. 

I don’t skimp on my kids’ helmets. Their heads are worth more than mine. 

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Welllllll......

The only shoes that fit me properly is from Specialized.  I only use Specalized's spare tubes (smallest size, while still being a proper spare)

Best still is a the owner of a local bike shop, that is an authorised distributor of a couple of other brands .... but his weapon of choice for events is a Specialized (with the stickers removed).  

In reality, only keyboard worriors get upset by these things .... the real rides get together after the ride and share their trail stories.

Okay shoes fitting you properly is forgivable.. 🤣🤣 that’s your power transfer point.. so that’s real important to have right.. 😉🤣

8 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

R1150 buys you the Spez Align II, with MIPS in an array of colours. 

Helmet testing institute has it in the top 20 of ALL bicycle helmets in terms of test results.

It also looks good. 

https://freewheel.co.za/products/align-ii-mips

So, for me, that is the 'base' model I compare all helmets too. I have been using one as my road helmet for nearly 3 years. 

My take on this is general knocks, miscellaneous falls off the shelf, being dropped or knocked off the coffee table, the kids kicking it etc....  3 years ish of small knocks, drops etc coupled with sweat, polystyrene being exposed to sun etc and constant use says it likely has some degeneration issues/hairline cracks and won't work as optimally as it should.

The Align II with MIPS makes it an easy sell at roughly 340zar a year  

I like knocking the Spez brand, but their helmets are the bomb bomb ... in fact my last two helmets have been Spez ones, and my next may well be one again too.

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Welllllll......

Beside the Spez Helmets, their shoes are awesome ... also been through two pairs of those, and will get another Spez pair again.

Hope no one I know who rides a Spez will see these posts.