MTB Saddle selection

Grant Prince

On 12/12/2023 at 12:23 PM, Grant Prince said:

Thank you for the replies.

Where can I have a look at Fabric saddles? I live in Pretoria

I see bike addict sells them but think it is probably something to see and even try before buying.

Will make sure to measure sit bones first. Currently have a 145mm wide low-cost saddle but very uncomfortable for me. Feels as if it is too marrow for sit bones. I know 145 is already quite wide.

Cyclelab has a limited selection in the 4Ways shop.

Not sure about PTA ...google is thou friend

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

the algorithm threw this up for me... 

The bottom line with this is that you're paying for the R&D of the design. The production cost of most physically simple consumer goods is negligible at proper scale, so it's expected that you'd be able to charge next to nothing for something that you pretty much directly copied from someone else.

IP is a thing for a reason and buying a knock-off is indirectly buying stolen goods (with the goods being the IP in this case).

Edited by LazyTrailRider

2 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

The bottom line with this is that you're paying for the R&D of the design. The production cost of most physically simple consumer goods is negligible at proper scale, so it's expected that you'd be able to charge next to nothing for something that you pretty much directly copied from someone else.

IP is a thing for a reason and buying a knock-off is indirectly buying stolen goods (with the goods being the IP in this case).

Preach.

Also the knockoffs often don't quite know what they're knocking off exactly. Like watching someone doing something versus them teaching you. You may not quite understand what it is you're looking at.

You need to identify the shape first .Take into account your pants size ,flexibility mainly .The width and curve are the main factors . Maybe a good idea to give your measurements so we have an idea .

it really is impossible and pointless recommending a saddle...you really need to try a saddle on a long ride and over a period of a few weeks to know if it works...luckily there is a nice classified section to sell lightly used saddles:)

having said that and if you do not want to spend too much get the super cheap Ryder saddle which is a clone of the Specialized Power...it is a good starting point

I found the Ergon to be the most comfortable saddle for me. I have ridden just over 6000 km on my saddle. It still looks brand new.  As other people have posted you have to try various saddles till you find the right fit for you. 

18 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

yeah sort of. The specialized power saddle copied large elements of a lot of other saddles (including their own ranges). It's a long time ago now, but I remember seeing their original marketing around it and could see they had been reverse engineering other brands.

IP around saddle design concepts must be incredible murky, one needs to keep innovating

Saddles are weird and very personal.

Loved my spez phenom (narrow width) and was OK-ish with a wider phenom.  I DO NOT like my spez power saddle much at all.

Phenom started each ride uncomfortable and got more comfy as I rode; while the power was the other way around.

One thing that made a huge difference to COMFORT was carbon rails (you also need that adaptor thing)

Any idea where to buy Ergon saddle? Could only find on Bikeinn so far. Never used them before. Know of anywhere else I can buy in Pta or order online?

Anyone know if Bikeinn is dependable?

10 hours ago, Grant Prince said:

Any idea where to buy Ergon saddle? Could only find on Bikeinn so far. Never used them before. Know of anywhere else I can buy in Pta or order online?

Anyone know if Bikeinn is dependable?

I got mine from trail tech cycles.. 

wouldn’t touch bikeinn with a ten foot pole.. personally.. 

14 hours ago, Stephan said:

Heard from a friend:

- At the recent AR World Champs in Eastern Cape, the race included a 500km'ish ride. The US team that came 6th did not wear any bike shorts. They swore by the saddles they had. This https://infinitybikeseat.com/shop/a1x/ - 

from their website:

If you’re a female between 5’0″ and 5’9″, or a male between 5’2″ and 6’2″, you should be extremely satisfied.

Your height determines the width of the pelvis.

🥸They would do better as comedians