Du Toitskloof Pass Close Call

Niel1

Hi everyone. Just an update. 

The link to this forum was posted on Facebook.

Someone, in the cycling community, has reached out to me on Facebook about the incident. They have contact with a detective. This is his message to me this morning:

"Just an update. My friend is looking into this incident and a very stern warning will be given to this idiot."

Edited by Niel1
More info.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

…am VERY happy to hear there is some progress, even if it is just a proper WARNING,

…I try not to judge people by the car they drive (try!), but Hummer + close-pass manouever + then standing with rock in hand (and possibly some ‘Roid Rage - as opposed to Road Rage), someone needs to have a serious chat with this twat.

Well done

Chris

35 minutes ago, Zebra said:

…am VERY happy to hear there is some progress, even if it is just a proper WARNING,

…I try not to judge people by the car they drive (try!), but Hummer + close-pass manouever + then standing with rock in hand (and possibly some ‘Roid Rage - as opposed to Road Rage), someone needs to have a serious chat with this twat.

Well done

Chris

Was about to ad, the guy drives a hummer, that’s all the details we need to know about what kind of person he is. 

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

Was about to ad, the guy drives a hummer, that’s all the details we need to know about what kind of person he is. 

When we got safely back to the car in the parking lot... my first comment was:

"Who still drives a Hummer in 2023" 😂😝

Quick question, did the hummer in question have yellow CJ plates? I saw one in town earlier and the black does have a dark blue tinge to it. 

18 hours ago, KatjieStewels said:

Quick question, did the hummer in question have yellow CJ plates? I saw one in town earlier and the black does have a dark blue tinge to it. 

I honestly can't remember... but I can't think that there's 2 x Hummers in Paarl 😂🧐 the fact that the black color has a dark blue tinge to it makes me feel it might be him because to me the paintjob looked more blue than black.

Rather not deflate his tyres... might be the wrong Hummer 😝

I’ve only seen a white one with Flashy low profile wheels that looks like it belongs in a 2000’s rap video in town. This is the only black/blue-ish one that I’ve seen. But yeah, might be not be the guy. The yellow plates do kinda stand out. I spotted it on my daily mtb route outside a house close to the Engen opposite autozone. 

• 1 month later...

I was hit by a van on Du Toits this morning. It was a hit and run. He hit me head on and I lay in the bushes unconscious. I have the mirror and all the part numbers and I will be getti g the SANRAL camera footage. I have opened a case of hit and run with Paarl police station. How do I proceed. If and when I find him. My phone and gear is damaged and I could be dead. 

5 minutes ago, agentorenge said:

I was hit by a van on Du Toits this morning. It was a hit and run. He hit me head on and I lay in the bushes unconscious. I have the mirror and all the part numbers and I will be getti g the SANRAL camera footage. I have opened a case of hit and run with Paarl police station. How do I proceed. If and when I find him. My phone and gear is damaged and I could be dead. 

Speak to RAF Buddies.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 4:51 PM, ChrisF said:

Speak to RAF Buddies.

Got the van, got the driver and the company the van belongs to. Opened 3 charges. Got witnesses. Got reference to an incidence that the same perpetrator was involved with last year with riders. Biggest problem is the Police. I am trying to get them to be pathetic, but have not yet been able. I will make a citizens arrest this coming week if they don't act. It's a complete outrage. If anyone knows a decent legal avenue, pls PM me. 

On 2/24/2024 at 4:51 PM, ChrisF said:

Speak to RAF Buddies.

Do you have a contact person?

1 hour ago, agentorenge said:

Got the van, got the driver and the company the van belongs to. Opened 3 charges. Got witnesses. Got reference to an incidence that the same perpetrator was involved with last year with riders. Biggest problem is the Police. I am trying to get them to be pathetic, but have not yet been able. I will make a citizens arrest this coming week if they don't act. It's a complete outrage. If anyone knows a decent legal avenue, pls PM me. 

I'm not convinced it'll help, but contact PPA and ask whether they can recommend/advise a legal route.

When I got hit by a naval guy in Simonstown outside the police station a couple of years ago the station commander avoided all my attempts to contact him and try get charges laid. Eventually I had to focus on my recovery and just walked away. Never a good outcome but sometimes personal health needs to be the priority.

2 hours ago, agentorenge said:

Be bold and go for it, don't let the police apathy deter you. Good luck 

On 3/21/2024 at 9:03 PM, NC_lurker said:

I'm not convinced it'll help, but contact PPA and ask whether they can recommend/advise a legal route.

When I got hit by a naval guy in Simonstown outside the police station a couple of years ago the station commander avoided all my attempts to contact him and try get charges laid. Eventually I had to focus on my recovery and just walked away. Never a good outcome but sometimes personal health needs to be the priority.

Did you know who it was? 

2 hours ago, agentorenge said:

Did you know who it was? 

The driver stopped, told my mate he didn't have his driver's licence on him, gave false details and then drove off when I said I wanted the cops on scene. I'm assuming by his bloodshot eyes & empty beer bottles in the car He wasn't sober.

He drove into the Navy base, my mate followed him to security and asked them to confirm the details we'd been given. They checked and said the details were false but circulated a picture internally and came back a bit later stating they'd identified him & that he'd be called up by his commanding officer on the Monday. He then filed an accident report at the police station late the following day - I'm assuming this was after instructions from his c/o.

On 3/21/2024 at 7:46 PM, agentorenge said:

Do you have a contact person?

Contact Alan winde, his email is public and make him put pressure on the police. Is there already a case and case number?