Rockshox Judy is this normal?

Gavin Minnaar

1 hour ago, Jakes 001 said:

HI Gavin I can assure you that rock shox Will sort you out the problem with that fork is that those bushes are very small in length causing alot off play they do wear faster than a higher model. If I was you I would wait for the warranty and ask if they can upgrade you to a sid or a Reba and pay in a diffence. Cape cycles will definitely assist in this matter and you will be better off in the long run I know it's more money but for years to come you will be happy with a slightly higher spec fork

I agree very smart suggestion, try and do a upgrade, will be well worth it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Gavin Minnaar said:

Rockshox judy silver must I take the bike back or is it normal? New trek x-caliber and its doing this on the second ride.

20231228_135350.jpg.786009e43432cc55931ad63b8aeb2fc3.jpg20231228_135350.jpg.786009e43432cc55931ad63b8aeb2fc3.jpg

The quality of lower end RS fork have just decreased dramatically. It is the light "black" coating wearing off. 

Personally, I would say this is 100% normal. Have prob seen about 50 of the newer Judy and Recon  forks do the same. 

The coating on the Reba is very good if you take care of the fork.

Other fork options in that price range would be Manitou Markhor( I have one and is exactly 4 years old with about 10 000km on. 0 Stantion wear) ,Suntour XCR (Air version) and older Rock Shox Recon and the Reba on the Hub

Edited by Ruben Hechter
Spelling

7 minutes ago, Ruben Hechter said:

The quality of lower end RS fork have just decreased dramatically. It is the light "black" coating wearing off. 

Personally, I would say this is 100% normal. Have prob seen about 50 of the newer Judy and Recon fork forks do the same. 

Yip, this is unfortunately the reality with low-end RS forks, most of them I’ve seen look like this.

1 hour ago, Ruben Hechter said:

Personally, I would say this is 100% normal. Have prob seen about 50 of the newer Judy and Recon fork forks do the same. 

The coating on the Reba is very good if you take care of the fork.

Other fork options in that price range would be Manitou Markhor( I have one and is exactly 4 years old with about 10 000km on. 0 Stantion wear) ,Suntour XCR (Air version) and older Rock Shox Recon and the Reba on the Hub

So how much more am I looking at if I were to say go reba or whatever fork that doesn't do this,my brother has a scott scale 980 with a santour fork don't know which but its also black coated has his bike nearly 2years now he has ridden with me rosemary hill,cosbouse etc bike is due for 1st fork service now and comparing them Damm his fork is clean clean clean

16 minutes ago, Gavin Minnaar said:

So how much more am I looking at if I were to say go reba or whatever fork that doesn't do this,my brother has a scott scale 980 with a santour fork don't know which but its also black coated has his bike nearly 2years now he has ridden with me rosemary hill,cosbouse etc bike is due for 1st fork service now and comparing them Damm his fork is clean clean clean

Bike due for service after 2 years is what causes most problems.

Your's is something else but 2 years is not a service interval.

30 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Bike due for service after 2 years is what causes most problems.

Your's is something else but 2 years is not a service interval.

Ja it's exactly what I told him but it ain't my bycicle I am just comparing mine is brand new has 2 rides on like 73km and its starting to wear if I have to gues his bike has maybe 2-3k on and the stanchions is clean clean no wear marks no scratches nothing

I found a fox 34 and the the guy lives in inquestria very close to me and the second fork I found on bikehub was rockshox domain debonair will any if these work on the x caliber 8 2023

Just now, Gavin Minnaar said:

I found a fox 34 and the the guy lives in inquestria very close to me and the second fork I found on bikehub was rockshox domain debonair will any if these work on the x caliber 8 2023

And both forks is in about 8k used. 

49 minutes ago, Gavin Minnaar said:

New the Reba is between R10 000 and R13 000. 2nd hand about R3500 to R6000.

Suntour would be cheaper. Not sure of the price 

45 minutes ago, Gavin Minnaar said:

Make sure the axle type(qr or thru-axle, boost or non boost) will work with your wheels and that the steerer will be long enough for your headtube

Edited by Ruben Hechter

@RobertWhitehead will be able to sort you out with a second hand fork (serviced and good to go) and he’s in Pretoria. He is very familiar with the X-Caliber as well and has done his fair share of bike riding lol so you’ll get the right fork for the job. 

But - see what Trek/the bike shop can do for you first, as it will probably be cheaper to pay in with them as an upgrade, than buy a different fork outright and sit with the old one. 

Or maybe Robert would do a trade on your fork but it would only be worth the value of its lowers I would think, as he’s not going to sell or fit a fork with stanchion wear. 

Edited by RobynE

On 12/28/2023 at 9:40 PM, Gavin Minnaar said:

Rockshox judy silver must I take the bike back or is it normal? New trek x-caliber and its doing this on the second ride.

20231228_135350.jpg.786009e43432cc55931ad63b8aeb2fc3.jpg20231228_135350.jpg.786009e43432cc55931ad63b8aeb2fc3.jpg

There' No Oil in your Lowers. This is quite Common on Brand New RS Forks.

2 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

There' No Oil in your Lowers. This is quite Common on Brand New RS Forks.

So some poeple already informed me of that thank you,but again why doesn't a bike shop perform a basic lower service then when a customer buys a new bike to make sure it's ready to go for the customer I mean it's TREK it's a huge company. 

2 hours ago, Gavin Minnaar said:

So some poeple already informed me of that thank you,but again why doesn't a bike shop perform a basic lower service then when a customer buys a new bike to make sure it's ready to go for the customer I mean it's TREK it's a huge company. 

They are Supposed To do it but it costs +- 45 minutes LOL.

Ja nee then they are just gonna keep replacing my fork till they service it properly before handing it over to me ain't just gonna leave it there no way they can fix there ***.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got a new fork from Trek same problem again after 3 rides and they also said I can't upgrade the fork on a warranty claim either, so basically we are gonna go back and forth till the warranty expires because now again it's going back to SRAM.