Upgrade Damper or just buy a new fork?

Pieter1

Hi everyone.
The Damper on my 2019 Lyrik has blown. 
Now do I just upgrade the damper or is the new Lyrik worth it? Should I look at the Zeb? Is it a lot stiffer? I'm more of a weekend warrior with poor line choice ability if that describes my riding or helps with suggestions.
Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Pieter1 said:

Hi everyone.
The Damper on my 2019 Lyrik has blown. 
Now do I just upgrade the damper or is the new Lyrik worth it? Should I look at the Zeb? Is it a lot stiffer? I'm more of a weekend warrior with poor line choice ability if that describes my riding or helps with suggestions.
Thanks!

Its likely a 2K service which will include doing the rest of the fork aswell.

I'd much rather opt for that than a new fork but hey ....N+1 

3 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Its likely a 2K service which will include doing the rest of the fork aswell.

I'd much rather opt for that than a new fork but hey ....N+1 

I hear you. The bike shops where I’m at atm are nothing compared to the ones at home. They ordered me the service kit and when they wanted to do the service they said the thing is stuffed. It was leaking oil at that adjuster knob thing (sorry not sure what it is called). 
So with the lack of skills/knowledge the options I mentioned is all I have. 

2 minutes ago, Pieter1 said:

I hear you. The bike shops where I’m at atm are nothing compared to the ones at home. They ordered me the service kit and when they wanted to do the service they said the thing is stuffed. It was leaking oil at that adjuster knob thing (sorry not sure what it is called). 
So with the lack of skills/knowledge the options I mentioned is all I have. 

Oh **** i see the location ...damn 

Weigh up damper vs new fork ( even if its an upgrade ) 

If the damper costs less than 35% go with the new fork 

Something else to consider though is , the new fork will have a similarly complicated damping system and if that fails you're just back here. 

I don't even know if its possible but maybe delving into if you can retro fit a motion control damper ( the top cap threads might be different ) then atleast you have something very simple you can work on yourself and now be back here in a year or two 

You decide. Theres a used charger 2.1 damper floating around on the hub i think for around 4.5k. Thing is, you wont be able to sell the stuffed fork for anything really if you wanted to buy new and recoup some costs.  I sold a rc2 lyrik ultimate a few weeks ago for not much more than the price of a damper….and that fork is mint, so mint in fact, i miss it over my new zeb which im still figuring out. If your bike is 160mm max, get the lyrik if you decide to go new. The zeb is nice and all…but its so progressive and stiff it’d overkill for most…unless you need 170+

That Lyrik you are running is a sweet fork. I’d try find a new damper for it and send the other one away to be rebuilt. The new Lyrik appears to be a lot more progressive and not as comfortable as your version.

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

You decide. Theres a used charger 2.1 damper floating around on the hub i think for around 4.5k. Thing is, you wont be able to sell the stuffed fork for anything really if you wanted to buy new and recoup some costs.  I sold a rc2 lyrik ultimate a few weeks ago for not much more than the price of a damper….and that fork is mint, so mint in fact, i miss it over my new zeb which im still figuring out. If your bike is 160mm max, get the lyrik if you decide to go new. The zeb is nice and all…but its so progressive and stiff it’d overkill for most…unless you need 170+

My Lyrik is 170. The damper is the damper from the Ultimate, thats the 2.1 hey? I have heard that the Lyrik Ultimate is super lekker. 
Suppose it is settled then cause out of the box my fork felt hard and I could never get it quite right. Will try the new damper then and see how that feels. 
for what it is worth the damper is around B$ 500 and the new Lyrik is B$ 930 the Zeb is B$ 1300 so MAYBE I should consider the new Lyrik?

5 minutes ago, thebob said:

I’d rather go for a 36 than the new Lyrik

Eish. Fox here is a mission to get service kits for. Mind you everything here is a mission. I can’t even find an f-ing bath plug replacement. Maybe just the new damper then and be done. It is not like I’m going balls to the walls anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Pieter1 said:

Eish. Fox here is a mission to get service kits for. Mind you everything here is a mission. I can’t even find an f-ing bath plug replacement. Maybe just the new damper then and be done. It is not like I’m going balls to the walls anyway. 

Or come back to the land of spares 🥷

Yea and not to mention you get a crappy performance version of a 36 for the same money you’ll pay for a Lyrik ultimate, which is objectively a better fork on every level. Even the previous lyrik ultimate spanks it. Cheaper services too, at least in SA. Fox tax is stiff…and Kashima disease is a thing.  

Edited by MORNE

20 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Or come back to the land of spares 🥷

Thats the plan. Looking forward to it!!

On 1/3/2024 at 2:44 PM, Pieter1 said:

Thats the plan. Looking forward to it!!

Yeah, I could fit that seal for you for not much more than a standard rebuild. 

Shipping would probably kill it for you though. 

How long till you're back for a visit?

5 hours ago, droo said:

Yeah, I could fit that seal for you for not much more than a standard rebuild. 

Shipping would probably kill it for you though. 

How long till you're back for a visit?

Only back in December again. I wanted to bring the fork with last December but there was not space in the luggage.   

Meh. I guess the choice will come down to resale value or n+1 then... Either replace damper and flog the old one when it's repaired, or replace fork. Then you can either flog the old fork or keep it and start looking for a new frame to put it on when it's fixed...

2 hours ago, droo said:

Meh. I guess the choice will come down to resale value or n+1 then... Either replace damper and flog the old one when it's repaired, or replace fork. Then you can either flog the old fork or keep it and start looking for a new frame to put it on when it's fixed...

Yeah, like a Paradox or something......