Being taken for a ride? TRP Slate Evo problems

8 hours ago, Barry said:

The length of the hose should/does not influence the quality of braking.  A damaged or poor quality hose can causes the hose to expand thus creating extra volume for fluid in the hose giving spongy feeling. 

Or an arrogant, lazy LBS like I experienced....🙂

Is this hose story they're trying to claim boyle or pascal's law ? I feel pascal but haven't been in a physics class in years 🤣

19 hours ago, love2fly said:

I'd LOVE to know the LBS.

You're sure it's not one of those roadside exhaust repairers with the gas bottles and car Ramps?

Frightening.

I ride Sram Level TLM which were replaced TWICE under warranty. My (no longer) LBS used to answer my question as to why the rear brakes didn't have that bitey feel on the lever like the fronts with "it's due to the longer hose".

I learned from YouTube and bought the Sram Bleeding Edge tool and they now feel identical!

Good Luck!

🙂

Why would you want the Bitey feel on a back brake? On the back less is more. It is up front that you need the business.

OK note Italics/Comic Sans

But really are back brakes that important?

3 minutes ago, Dicky DQ said:

Why would you want the Bitey feel on a back brake? On the back less is more. It is up front that you need the business.

I think bitey here means crisp lever feel instead of slightly softer/spongy 

2 minutes ago, Dicky DQ said:

Like they say, to slow down you use the back, to stop the front? I use both and 3 years ago when someone strung a wire fence across my favourite twisties I swear I locked up both wheels before hitting the fence and going @ over kettle.....

I like to use one finger per lever (oh boy, never admit that on a public forum) but there again, thank God so does my Urologist!

Signed: 

Prostate Cancer Survivor

21 hours ago, Newbie321 said:

Hi

Bought a new bike end of last year, since the beginning the rear brake (TRP Slate Evo) has had issues. I though it just needed a bleed but even after a bleed the problems persisted.

So I just took more notice of the brake and soon realized that it was leaking out the bleed port screw when out on the trails. So I took it in to be checked out, the bike shop in question apparently reached out to Omnico, which apparently sent a 'new' bleed screw which they replaced. However this 'new' screw looks very similar to the one they replaced it with, how do I know? Well the screw looks like it's been inserted by a drunk person in pitch black darkness. The only new thing I do however notice is the strands of plumbers tape, surely this is not recommended or expected from a brand new set of calipers? Pic attached of rear brake and then front brake for reference.

Rear brake screw:

IMG_20240110_174154.jpg.e7c1c4640c22a88d00fcf4a8589b6308.jpg

Front brake, notice the lack of tools marks and that the lip is not scratched up:

IMG_20240110_174217.jpg.c5722e12b8a88e313ece227c94b84a40.jpg

If it went back to Omnico they would most likely have replaced the brake, they're pretty good with warranty stuff.

If no stock they would have said so and probably given you options.

Not sure if that screw should have an o ring under it or if it just seals on the caliper, but replacing the o ring is about a 5 minute job. If no o ring then the caliper is faulty and will need replacing.

3 minutes ago, droo said:

If it went back to Omnico they would most likely have replaced the brake, they're pretty good with warranty stuff.

If no stock they would have said so and probably given you options.

Not sure if that screw should have an o ring under it or if it just seals on the caliper, but replacing the o ring is about a 5 minute job. If no o ring then the caliper is faulty and will need replacing.

Thanks for the feedback. From my understanding there is no o-ring. I've made arrangements with another shop who will send it on to Omnico. Hopefully the first LBS didn't end up voiding the warranty with their shenanigans

Good luck with this, the quality of bike shops has reached an all time low in my experience.  

21 hours ago, Sandro said:

Good luck with this, the quality of bike shops has reached an all time low in my experience.  

I couldn't agree more. With cycling businesses and brands facing such a downturn in the current market, one would naturally expect them to up their game in terms of customer service. It's quite a conundrum to see the opposite trend in the bike shop industry.

The mechanics get paid dogsh#t and don't get sent for training even if they ask for it 

You get what you pay your employees is the biggest reason for the downturn in quality in the average workshop these days. 

exceptions definitely exist but they're a drop in the ocean 

Problem lies with the owners/mangers first 

3 hours ago, etienne_jordaan said:

The old saying “ You pay peanuts, you get monkeys” is very true.

Bike servicing and repairs are not cheap, so its not the client paying peanuts. Quite frankly I'm not interested in the politics behind the scenes. The only way forward is for clients to pay for the courses themselves and learn to do their own repairs. This is what I'm doiing anyway. If bike shops just want to focus on sales then they should do just that and be honest about it.

35 minutes ago, Sandro said:

Bike servicing and repairs are not cheap, so its not the client paying peanuts. Quite frankly I'm not interested in the politics behind the scenes. The only way forward is for clients to pay for the courses themselves and learn to do their own repairs. This is what I'm doiing anyway. If bike shops just want to focus on sales then they should do just that and be honest about it.

lets be really honest here, if you want your bike mechanic to be well trained and knowledgeable, you'll be paying R600 - R1000 an hour for labour alone. I dont see many people accepting that kind of charges for work on their bike.

35 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

lets be really honest here, if you want your bike mechanic to be well trained and knowledgeable, you'll be paying R600 - R1000 an hour for labour alone. I dont see many people accepting that kind of charges for work on their bike.

You're right I'd rather spend less money on a poor job so I can lug the bike up and down back to the shop for them to try and fix it properly and waste my time and money that way. If this were the case then rather quote two prices, a cheaper price for a half ass job or a more expensive price for a thorough job. The last minor service I paid over R600 and the only 'parts' included there were lube and bike wash. I'm pretty sure that didn't take anywhere near an hour so quite frankly I don't believe cost is the issue, quality control and people actually checking work carried out before the bike is released, is more the issue. But what do I know, I'm just a client spending monry trying to get a bike fixed. Anyway I've hijacked this thread enough with my own ranting.

Edited by Sandro

1 hour ago, Sandro said:

I think you misunderstood. I referred to shop owners paying low wages for mechanics and hence you getting poor workmanship and lack of experience/expertise. But they still charge the customers premium rates, because a lot of people don’t know any beter.

Case in point today. Friend rented a bike from a big brand bike shop to ride today as their shock is being serviced. The rented bike was shanked. Creaks, rattles, loose headset, suspension felt like it had never been serviced and handed over dirtyAF. The manager or person responsible for that demo fleet should be fired cause anyone who demos that bike will not end up buying one after such a shoddy experience. The rental per day is also not cheap. If it was me I wouldn’t have ridden that bike and asked for my money back

Edited by thebob