How many miles on a bike?

NotSoBigBen

Pondering this morning on which bike I've done the most miles on over the years ... Although I'm not an 'anorak' I do religiously record which bike I did a ride on in Strava, thinking back pity I didn't record changes to the bikes or the maintenance

I've done the most on my Monstercross 16912km (built 2016) and then on my Tarmac Disc 10581km (built 2019)

Since I'm a bike 'hoe' I'm guessing that those who only have 1 or 2 bikes may have recorded more over time?

Well I did not load the GT on Strava initially, the Crackendal and the Momson are fully recorded. I should not say this but the Momson has a Fox Factory fork that has never been services and these days I am too afraid to touch it as I believe if I open it it will die. No station ware seen yet.
The IDT does not record milage so who knows.
Edit, the Crackendal was 2nd hand when I got it so who knows what it has really done.
image.png.39f8219a59314f73198c8ca2820fa217.png

Edited by Dicky DQ

21 minutes ago, Dicky DQ said:

Well I did not load the GT on Strava initially, the Crackendal and the Momson are fully recorded. I should not say this but the Momson has a Fox Factory fork that has never been services and these days I am too afraid to touch it as I believe if I open it it will die. No station ware seen yet.
The IDT does not record milage so who knows.
Edit, the Crackendal was 2nd hand when I got it so who knows what it has really done.
image.png.39f8219a59314f73198c8ca2820fa217.png

That's some serious milage, I remember once reading about how long certain frame types (carbon, Alu, steel etc.) should last in years and then they go soft ... I certainly never felt anything like that 😎

13 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

That's some serious milage, I remember once reading about how long certain frame types (carbon, Alu, steel etc.) should last in years and then they go soft ... I certainly never felt anything like that 😎

In my case it is the rider that has gone soft 😉 last year was a way "soft year for me"

I hit 100 001kms after 10 years and 11 months last week.  This has been done on 3 bikes.  Merida 904 - 17 178kms, then a Merida Scultura 34 831kms and finally a Silverback Scalera that has done 47 991 - kms of those.  

All it takes is good, regular maintenance and they will last forever.  I usually get 6 - 8000kms out of a chain and 10 - 12000kms out of a cassette.  Chainrings  - 20 000kms.

Lube is your best friend!

Unknown-1.png

Edited by Dazshell

9 minutes ago, Dazshell said:

I hit 100 001kms after 10 years and 11 months last week.  This has been done on 3 bikes.  Merida 904 - 17 178kms, then a Merida Scultura 34 831kms and finally a Silverback Scalera that has done 47 991 - kms of those.  

All it takes is good, regular maintenance and they will last forever.  I usually get 6 - 8000kms out of a chain and 10 - 12000kms out of a cassette.  Chainrings  - 20 000kms.

Unknown-1.png

Bloody hell dude, I expected there would be some big miles posted but that certainly shows what can be done with regular maintenance and due care as you say!

On 1/15/2024 at 8:36 AM, NotSoBigBen said:

Bloody hell dude, I expected there would be some big miles posted but that certainly shows what can be done with regular maintenance and due care as you say!

On 1/15/2024 at 8:25 AM, Dazshell said:

Unknown-1.png

Thought I would add this pic too to show how lekker it looks!

Unknown-2.png

Edited by Dazshell

I started a clean up of my Strava data in December, as I was lazy at certain times and didn't change the gear. Luckily Garmin Connect allows dual recording of gear, eg. the Kickr, Schwinn, 4iiii PM (and battery),  HRM (and battery), so it's possible to see some data there.

One thing stands out... I don't do enough MTB.

image.png.3d8e36ed2397050684f9094a3c817525.png

2 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Show us photos of the Colnago Classic 😁

Will try find a picture. Sadly, sold it because I was battling to get spares and simply didn't have the time it required. 

Ill play as well.

The Cannondale was my very first bike. Still have it but hasn’t seen daylight in donkeys years. The mileage is obviously not accurate as I did most of my riding on that bike pre-Strava.

IMG_1377.jpeg

Edited by Bub Marley

Clocked 61522km on my Spez Tarmac 2006 and currently 96928km on my Spez Venge 2016, so keep on pedalling until you hear snap, crackle and pop if you have a carbon frame😁