Dreaded Helmet Itch

KNmtb

Hi Everybody. 

I'm looking for some advice.

I recently started to get some itch on the head specifically just above the start of my hairline on my forehead. Some days its so bad my forehead will be red after rides. Worst on very hot days. Mosy of the time its manageable and only starts to itch about 40 mins into the ride.

I currently run 2 helmets one is a Bell (not shure of model) other is a 100% altus. Same experience with both.

I also wash padding after every odd ride, ive switched from different products used to wash pads and even used just water. Also swapped out my shampoo and conditioner so that cant be it. Do i have toxic head sweat or is it time to go bald?

Just want to know if anybody has had the same experience and what steps you took to relief the itch. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

25 minutes ago, KNmtb said:

Hi Everybody. 

I'm looking for some advice.

I recently started to get some itch on the head specifically just above the start of my hairline on my forehead. Some days its so bad my forehead will be red after rides. Worst on very hot days. Mosy of the time its manageable and only starts to itch about 40 mins into the ride.

I currently run 2 helmets one is a Bell (not shure of model) other is a 100% altus. Same experience with both.

I also wash padding after every odd ride, ive switched from different products used to wash pads and even used just water. Also swapped out my shampoo and conditioner so that cant be it. Do i have toxic head sweat or is it time to go bald?

Just want to know if anybody has had the same experience and what steps you took to relief the itch. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

And you not developing a rash or eczema/dermatitis/psoriasis in that area.? Anything noticeable with your skin there.?🤔

Edited by Bichael Dewing

rub some bib cream in your helmet liner and also wear a light UV skull cap like the one from First Ascent or whatever...

17 minutes ago, guidodg said:

rub some bib cream in your helmet liner and also wear a light UV skull cap like the one from First Ascent or whatever...

Also what I was going to suggest.. a sort of barrier cream to keep sweat from the area, and possibly ride with a casquete.. 

if it is a dermatitis/psoriasis you can also try athletes foot cream so you don’t have to go get a prescription for a persivate cream or some other steroid cream.. 

I would put some ketazol fungicidal cream (over the counter at pharmacy) twice a day for a week in case there's a little fungal infection there. Mylocort is a mild cortisone cream also over the counter if you have any redness or rash.  Wash helmet lining thoroughly with Milton's sterlisation fluid and wear a buff or a sawn off piece of buff to make a headband.

Edit - when I read the topic header I thought it was the itch to buy a new helmet which is a highly contagious condition that has only one remedy - do it

Edited by Mamil

Have you tried taking something like allergex etc. I have dermatographic urticaria so not exactly the same use-case, however sometimes its coupled with some eczema. On hot days 30+ I also get the itch, I have to wash my helmet every 2-3 rides ( I guess I'm suppose to do that). Taking an allergex before my rides does make a difference. 

42 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I would put some ketazol fungicidal cream (over the counter at pharmacy) twice a day for a week in case there's a little fungal infection there. Mylocort is a mild cortisone cream also over the counter if you have any redness or rash.  Wash helmet lining thoroughly with Milton's sterlisation fluid and wear a buff or a sawn off piece of buff to make a headband.

Edit - when I read the topic header I thought it was the itch to buy a new helmet which is a highly contagious condition that has only one remedy - do it

Yeah that’s what I was trying to remember.. mylocort, or lamisil.. try a little dab of that twice a day and after a ride.. 

Do you trust the advice given by the Bikehub doctors?

The only advice I can give is to go and see a real doctor. Maybe they'll do some tests to see what is causing your problem

Probably just excessive sweat that irritates your skin .I always ride with a buff and on long rides a take an extra one that i swap out and dry out  over the handlebars .Use roll on deodorant on your scalp. if sweat gets into my eyes ,my ride is pretty much over .I wash my buff and helmet after every ride with me in the shower . If there is any form of rash some Quadriderm cream  will sort it out in a couple of days 

1 hour ago, Eugene said:

Do you trust the advice given by the Bikehub doctors?

The only advice I can give is to go and see a real doctor. 

5 hours ago, Mamil said:

Hah!  There are several medical practitioners on here, and most hubbers are very well informed.  FWIW, Mamil’s suggestions will work for more than just fungal infection/irritation.  A couple of days use when necessary would be the first intervention.  Burnshield gel or the bulbinella from my garden is great for mild skin irritation/insect bites.  Don’t disregard your pharmacist as a great first port of call.

Edited by justinafrika

8 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

Hah!  There are several medical practitioners on here, and most hubbers are very well informed.  FWIW, Mamil’s suggestions will work for more than just fungal infection/irritation.  A couple of days use when necessary would be the first intervention.  Burnshield gel or the bulbinella from my garden is great for mild skin irritation/insect bites.  Don’t disregard your pharmacist as a great first port of call.

Yeah I’ve dealt with psoriasis, excema, since I was a kid.. and my wife as well, she is also from a skincare background.. 

there’s a number of things you can try before consulting a dermatologist.. 

My theory:

Some inner pads are coated with an anti bacterial compound and it could be that at some higher temps ( generated by mostly head heat) it could irritate the skin. I’ve had something similar, but a sweatband worked a charm. Try that before you go the “BH” medical route! Hope you come right dude. 

my 2 cents worth and no I am not a doctor. I get itchy same place and it is normally the sweat evaporating and leaving a salty residue which then irritates the s.it out of me. i press the helmet hard against my forehead to get rid of the most sweat and rinse with water when i can. 

Hope you get sorted. Yes I also think your friendly pharmacist would be a good port of call first.

Try a casquette for a few rides and see if it helps. It is a lot easier to chuck a casquette in the wash than mission with helmet liners.

Also for helmets I always used to run muck off foam fresh on motorbike helmets, spray on and then pop it on a fan to dry. I would wash the liners and then use muck off a few times and then do a full wash again.