Protein supplement recommendations

Sampaj

2 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

You sure that wasn't just cocaine with some pea protein mixed in ? 🤣

Luckily on a dairy farm I know where it was coming from, what is scary is our cows are hormone free, I would be scared of getting it from a cow with a GH tablet in the ear...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the locally available I have tried, the PSN tastes the best...and waddaya know...It's also the cheapest per gram of protein compared to many others...

The chocolate varieties are super nom...and 1kg can frequently be found for as little as R140...Link below assumes the "regular" price/kg of about R220...where it is STILL the cheapest.

(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aINm_Uo9LH-IPKIdYgFyBRCvQegOJIExBttp5AB90zQ/edit?usp=sharing) - Updated for anyone to access.

Bought USN, Nutritech and Extreme 100% Clear before and all are overly sweet and do NOT make for good "pudding" when mixed with yoghurt and let to set.

Use it or loose it, it was a fun tiny analysis to do.

Not alwys is the cheapest option per gram of powder, the cheapest per gram of protein.

Also...if you want collagen, just get animal gelatin from Shoprite and save yourself many hundred randellas.

Edited by Thermophage

5 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

Of the locally available I have tried, the PSN tastes the best...and waddaya know...It's also the cheapest per gram of protein compared to many others...

The chocolate varieties are super nom...and 1kg can frequently be found for as little as R140...Link below assumes the "regular" price/kg of about R220...where it is STILL the cheapest.

(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aINm_Uo9LH-IPKIdYgFyBRCvQegOJIExBttp5AB90zQ/edit?usp=sharing)

Bought USN, Nutritech and Extreme 100% Clear before and all are overly sweet and do NOT make for good "pudding" when mixed with yoghurt and let to set.

Use it or loose it, it was a fun tiny analysis to do.

Not alwys is the cheapest option per gram of powder, the cheapest per gram of protein.

Also...if you want collagen, just get animal gelatin from Shoprite and save yourself many hundred randellas.

Woah PSN is hella cheap! Quite low purity at 67% for the whey, but at 25c/g it's almost half the cost of my current preferred brand, so I can 'stomache' the 10% of carb filler they have in there (probably to make it taste better)...

Just now, JayLow said:

Woah PSN is hella cheap! Quite low purity at 67% for the whey, but at 25c/g it's almost half the cost of my current preferred brand, so I can 'stomache' the 10% of carb filler they have in there (probably to make it taste better)...

Yep it tastes significantly better than Nutritech for example. Those numbers are all normalised to 100g. So it's actually not significantly higher than the median of others (yes, I should do a statistical test to technically say significant).

And the overall protein content doesn't count (for me)...what counts is the cost of the protein per gram...Then adjust your does to get your desired protein intake/serving.

8 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

… or if you can stomach it, how about taken from source?  England and pro footballer Andros Townsend’s dietician has him on a plate of chicken feet at supper every day.  

Just now, justinafrika said:

… or if you can stomach it, how about taken from source?  England and pro footballer Andros Townsend’s dietician has him on a plate of chicken feet at supper every day.  

Sure...but the gelatin is at least powdered already and same source as that expensive collagen stuff.

2 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

Yep it tastes significantly better than Nutritech for example. Those numbers are all normalised to 100g. So it's actually not significantly higher than the median of others (yes, I should do a statistical test to technically say significant).

And the overall protein content doesn't count (for me)...what counts is the cost of the protein per gram...Then adjust your does to get your desired protein intake/serving.

Yea I use a combo of c/g and purity, I prefer higher purity because I want to avoid "fillers" but I will try this PSN for sure. Will set aside principles for price.

1 hour ago, Thermophage said:

*snip*

Also using PSN due to the price and taste, much cheaper and still tastes better than most of the others I tried (as long as you stick with the chocolate ones, the other flavours are just ok to me). 

It makes it much easier to get my total protein for the day up without pushing up the calories too much. I even mix it with milk for my lunch cheerios :)

I'm not that big into supplements and prefer just eating healthy and varied, but getting some extra protein in after cycling sessions on zwift definitely improves recovery for me.

1 minute ago, Dappere said:

Certainly, comparing the protein needs of a competitive bodybuilder to those of a cyclist sheds light on how dietary requirements can differ dramatically based on the nature of the sport and the athlete's goals. A bodybuilder, as mentioned by your wife's best friend, typically leans towards higher protein intake to support muscle growth and repair. This approach makes sense given their objective to increase muscle mass and strength.

On the other hand, a cyclist's diet requires a more balanced approach, with a good mix of protein and carbohydrates, especially post-workout. While protein is crucial for repairing and rebuilding muscle tissue affected during long rides, carbohydrates are equally important for replenishing glycogen stores that have been depleted during endurance activities. This balance helps ensure optimal recovery and performance for cyclists, who rely heavily on sustained energy levels and muscle endurance.

This contrast highlights the importance of tailoring one's diet to their specific activity demands. Whereas bodybuilders may prioritize protein to bulk up, cyclists need to balance their intake to support both muscle recovery and energy needs, illustrating the varied nutritional strategies across different sports.

Agreed, we absolutely need the carbs as well as protein.. the body building world is restrictive and miserable and not actually healthy at all.. actually down right dangerous.. 

im just saying that at the end of the day if that’s what works for him and makes him happy he doesn’t have to justify his diet choices.. even including carbs it’s probably still better to be over on your protein intake..

13 hours ago, JayLow said:

I only take whey protein and pure creatine monohydrate. These are two of the very few supplements with actual science backing its efficacy. My training load also isn't that high (only about 8 hours per week), so strictly speaking I don't need any supplementation if I eat a balanced diet. But I back the science of creatine and I enjoy snacking on protein shakes.

I try to solve for purity and price, and I've found that My Wellness has an 75% purity whey product for under R0.40/g protein. Then I try to look for 500g pure creatine monohydrate for around R300. 

Some more of my beliefs.

• Unless medically prescribed, most supplements have no benefit, apart from placebo.
  • Supplements should not take the place of the unsexy basics of consistently doing the right things (7+ hours sleep, balanced diet, community, strength, cardio, flexibility).

Very keen to hear other hubbers knowledge on this subject, I know very little.

Just consider that when you supplement creatine, your body stops producing it naturally, and I am led to believe at lower levels after stopping supplement.

Edited by BigToe

I am just using this after a hard ride or race. Works for me and cheap. Early morning rides I just drink it on my way to work.

Biogen Pure Recovery Sports Recovery Drink

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

This is a moerse nice break form the usual "friday" threads we've had in the past few weeks 

Is it though.?! These dietary/fitness debates will go on and on and around in circles for the rest of our lives.!😳😳😭😭

20 minutes ago, BigToe said:

Just consider that when you supplement creatine, your body stops producing it naturally, and I am led to believe at lower levels after stopping supplement.

A quick google search shows that this is a myth, it drops in the short term but normalises again in the long term. The levels in your body will be lower (because you are not supplementing), but your body will not stop making it.

3 minutes ago, Bichael Dewing said:

Is it though.?! These dietary/fitness debates will go on and on and around in circles for the rest of our lives.!😳😳😭😭

I'm keen to hear other opinions 

At the end of the day ( as a fucken diabetic in very good health ) 

I've learned nutrition is down to an individual , I've been on my current diet just under 2 months and doing spectacularly but I'm still going for s test to comb through micro details at the end of this month.

These 1 gram carb per kg things might work lekker for you guys but that **** will kill me.

Same as my current diet will probably kill some overweight people/ blood pressure issue people but it works fantastic for me.

AS LONG as people are healthy.

I thought about veganism for loooooooong ( not ethic , my health ) but I couldn't find anyway to do it with enough food and low enough carbs for me to go day to day.

I just hate when people try to force down their ideas upon someone