only via import from Hammerhead...its a week max and it's at your door with UPS

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, guidodg said:

only via import from Hammerhead...its a week max and it's at your door with UPS

Thanks, I don't mind importing it is when things need to be shipped via postal service and not courier, but if courier, then great, thanks for the info.

Not sure what drink to recommend as its more a personal thing - What works for me may not work for you - For what its worth though i have used 32Gi Endure for years now - I try for low Gi hydration and eats on the bike to avoid the dreaded spike.

As far as your eyesight though i could help as i had the same issues - My optician told me there's nothing wrong with my eyes, its's my arms that are getting too short. At the time i was using +2 reading glasses from DikSkem, but these were useless on the bike and looked stupid. I could read the Garmin but when i looked up at the trail and the hot chick in front of me it was a blur.

On a trip to Germany I went into a motorbike shop to get some parts for a mate and came across bi-focal riding glasses - they have lens inserts at he bottom near the nose in the main lens. Like the Dikskem glasses you can select from +1  to +3 

They work perfect, the lens is in a position so when you glance down at your Garmin without moving your head you automatically look through the lens at the screen - When you look up you looking through the normal part of the glasses.

I never been able to find them locally though but you can order from their website - I have the dark for normal riding and the clear for night riding

https://www.helbrecht.com/HSE-Sporteyes-Bifocal-Sport-Sunglasses-SPRINTER-23-2231-a_1

15 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Not sure what drink to recommend as its more a personal thing - What works for me may not work for you - For what its worth though i have used 32Gi Endure for years now - I try for low Gi hydration and eats on the bike to avoid the dreaded spike.

As far as your eyesight though i could help as i had the same issues - My optician told me there's nothing wrong with my eyes, its's my arms that are getting too short. At the time i was using +2 reading glasses from DikSkem, but these were useless on the bike and looked stupid. I could read the Garmin but when i looked up at the trail and the hot chick in front of me it was a blur.

On a trip to Germany I went into a motorbike shop to get some parts for a mate and came across bi-focal riding glasses - they have lens inserts at he bottom near the nose in the main lens. Like the Dikskem glasses you can select from +1  to +3 

They work perfect, the lens is in a position so when you glance down at your Garmin without moving your head you automatically look through the lens at the screen - When you look up you looking through the normal part of the glasses.

I never been able to find them locally though but you can order from their website - I have the dark for normal riding and the clear for night riding

https://www.helbrecht.com/HSE-Sporteyes-Bifocal-Sport-Sunglasses-SPRINTER-23-2231-a_1

Thanks for this, I am going to look into these glasses as that is exactly my problem and really don't want to replace my bike computer if not needed, so this might be a way better option. 

Thanks a mill.

30 minutes ago, Bundu Ric said:

Thanks for this, I am going to look into these glasses as that is exactly my problem and really don't want to replace my bike computer if not needed, so this might be a way better option. 

Thanks a mill.

While I agree with the general train of thought and advice, I guess a 50/50 mix of Coke and water would be more than enough for your 25-50km ride. Your body stashes about 90 minutes' worth of carbs, hence you should not run near empty if you sip your 50/50 mix.

My 2 cents

On 2/12/2024 at 9:02 AM, Bundu Ric said:

Then for riding, and I have looked, there are zillions of drinks, what should I drink during my rides, and these would vary from 25-50km rides for now to keep hydrated but also fuelled during the ride?

No need to over complicate it as this stage - did you try water (only), and is it not working for you? 

At what intensity do you ride?

(I can see why the sport nutrition and wellness industries makes gazillions...)

1 hour ago, madmarc said:

As far as your eyesight though i could help as i had the same issues - My optician told me there's nothing wrong with my eyes, its's my arms that are getting too short.

We must have the same optician, as I have the same problem.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

We must have the same optician, as I have the same problem.

The struggle is real I tell you - You have to put your phone on a selfie stick to see who's calling you 😁

4 hours ago, madmarc said:

you get soft stick on lenses that you cut to shape and then wet to stick on the bottom of your sunglasses...work really well and are reusable and washable....come in different dioptres

https://www.takealot.com/stick-on-bifocal-readers-for-sunglasses/PLID94157757?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5rGuBhCnARIsAN11vgSp52Q6M44aKyIIome5zo3l9VqMXcdnpeG_NxGoyDNr_Z-RxIHHp0gaAmj1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by guidodg

35 minutes ago, guidodg said:

you get soft stick on lenses that you cut to shape and then wet to stick on the bottom of your sunglasses...work really well and are reusable and washable....come in different dioptres

https://www.takealot.com/stick-on-bifocal-readers-for-sunglasses/PLID94157757?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5rGuBhCnARIsAN11vgSp52Q6M44aKyIIome5zo3l9VqMXcdnpeG_NxGoyDNr_Z-RxIHHp0gaAmj1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Nice, thanks, let me have a look at this, 

2 minutes ago, Bundu Ric said:

Nice, thanks, let me have a look at this, 

and really cheap compared to any other method

42 minutes ago, guidodg said:

Wow! Finally a really cool local solution, now i can get back to using my favorite riding sub glasses

thanks 👍 - BikeHub always seems to deliver 👌

21 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

🤢  How does it taste?

It is slightly tart but I only add about 10% of the bottles volume.

It just makes a nice change from the sweetness of coke/water combination

The stick on lenses, tends to fall off after a while. Wurth has diopter safety glasses that is very strong, and different strenght incerts. At one stage they were selling for R99. Cheaper and less hassle than loose inserts. Only clear lenses.

8 hours ago, guidodg said:

I had similar issue for adventure racing. Eyesight is going and I battle to read the map whilst riding. 

Found these on takealot, but seem to be available here only now. https://www.kingfisher.co.za/product/snowbee-polarised-sunglasses-matt-black-frame-with-amber-lense-2-50-magnifier/

Makes perfect sense, fishing guys need to tie their hooks and stuff and still be outdoors. Worked really well for me