Strategies for dealing with cramps and preventing them

Remington

As this thread is heading in all kinds of wierd and wonderful directions ....

Sunday afternoon a group of nicely kitted riders doing the PPA were between Malanshoogte and Spes Bona when a youngster CRAMPED !!!  At one point he was standing still and his one leg looked like Arnie on his best days ... :eek:

I turned around and headed for the ambulance, which I knew was about 1km behind them.

By the time I got back to them the paramedics where giving them "something" for the cramps ....

I thought I recognised the sachet .... CANT BE !!!

True as Bob !!  They were adding ENO's to a bottle of Coke ....

I have absolutely no idea if, how or why they might work .... but the medics assured us this works.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, ENO and Rennies are old wives remedies that  'seem' to assist with cramps, BUT, the proper way to deal with them is to prevent them or limit them to very hard efforts, not every ride.

If the cramps are on the inside of your thigh just above the knee, saddle height might be your problem.

But I still think that shouldn't happen every ride.

Zone 2 easy efforts often are your friend

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Yeah, ENO and Rennies are old wives remedies that  'seem' to assist with cramps, BUT, the proper way to deal with them is to prevent them or limit them to very hard efforts, not every ride.

If the cramps are on the inside of your thigh just above the knee, saddle height might be your problem.

But I still think that shouldn't happen every ride.

Zone 2 easy efforts often are your friend

Jewie, saddle height, too low or too high? You're making me think...

7 hours ago, Scary Rider said:

Saddle to high, your hips start rocking, and your lower back takes a beating .... at least that was my experience

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

As this thread is heading in all kinds of wierd and wonderful directions ....

Sunday afternoon a group of nicely kitted riders doing the PPA were between Malanshoogte and Spes Bona when a youngster CRAMPED !!!  At one point he was standing still and his one leg looked like Arnie on his best days ... :eek:

I turned around and headed for the ambulance, which I knew was about 1km behind them.

By the time I got back to them the paramedics where giving them "something" for the cramps ....

I thought I recognised the sachet .... CANT BE !!!

True as Bob !!  They were adding ENO's to a bottle of Coke ....

I have absolutely no idea if, how or why they might work .... but the medics assured us this works.

image.jpeg.b73c6396d725c1dc935c8ba394922d06.jpeg

11 hours ago, Scary Rider said:

I'd actually say too low would cause cramps inside thigh above the knee. Too high and you're likely to get stiff hip flexors and calf cramps. 

But that also depends on how good/bad your pedal stroke is and which muscle groups you're using to do what.

None of this is linear unfortunately due to us all doing things differently. 

18 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

image.jpeg.b73c6396d725c1dc935c8ba394922d06.jpeg

JIP ....

Now imagine a tiny 15 year old ... and ONE leg buldges like that ..... :eek:

Shame, poor kid was in a world of hurt ....

What worked for me, increase your salt intake (rock salt, celtic salt). I drink Revive electrolytes which contains magnesium, potassium and sodium. I then always have Natura Mag phos 9 in my back pocket if there is a cramp that does not go away. Two tablets under your tongue, dissolves instantly and goes into the bloodstream.   

54 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'd actually say too low would cause cramps inside thigh above the knee.

That is spot on. Thats exactly where I used to get cramps when my saddle was too low.

The generic answer to this question is obviously that unfit people are more likely to cramp. But it's not that simple and I suspect that our likelihood to cramp is as unique to us as our fingerprints.  

Point in case. From the day I started cycling 12 years ago up to the torturous 21km I ran last weekend with VERY unfit legs, I have never cramped (as a result of physical activity). Me legs get beaten, I sometimes hit the proverbial wall and often there is that numbing fatigue that creeps in on long rides but cramps - never.

My training buddy is super fit, runs a 21km in 1:50 and he really gives me a run for my money on the bike too. Intense cardio 4 times a week and either a long ride or a long run every single weekend. He is extremely cramp prone - something that he says he inherited from his parent who were also very active social athletes - and crampers. He's tried cutting out alcohol, dense proteins and fatty stuff. He tried gradual cramp-reducing nutrition days leading up to an event, he;s tried mixes and doepas and boererate. Literally nothing works except for one product (I think it's Hammer Enduralyte) which he takes when he feels the very first muscle contractions, managing his cramping as it comes and goes.

Bottom line, I'm not sport physician but I would be inclined to think that genetics, which is after all a predetermining factor in physiology, is also major determinant in the physical workings of a cramp.           

as far as i know the way to deal with cramps is 95% not getting them in the first place. once they are there the damage is done and any sort of muti is only really placebo with mind of matter.

but don't take my word for it, most of my research is watching cricketers (pro athletes) very publicly writhe in anger. it's hard not to laugh.

easily the greatest ODI innings last year (and on the top5 shortlist for possibly ever) by Glenn Maxwell last year was all full of cramps. Sure there are other highlights, but this is bloody entertaining (imagine Jomboy Media doing the spring classics?)

and the original is still a laugh

On 2/25/2024 at 11:57 AM, Bichael Dewing said:

1400m over 50km is a lot of climbing..😳

At Jonkershoek I do 1052m in 21.51km, but these not a flat section in sight. And I also still het cramps on suikerbossie 😅

9 minutes ago, robert124marx@gmail.com said:

At Jonkershoek I do 1052m in 21.51km, but these not a flat section in sight. And I also still het cramps on suikerbossie 😅

This proves my point though.. don’t you think that medically there’s something wrong with that and you should consult real live professional health care workers and not the internet.?

this isn’t “my saddle hurts my bum, what can I do about it.?” With a solution of, fitting, chamois cream and cycling is never completely pain free, so suck it up sunshine..

No matter how harmless you think something is it’s reckless to advise someone to put stuff in their body without proper qualifications.. and even they **** it up and get sued constantly..😰

5 minutes ago, Bichael Dewing said:

This proves my point though.. don’t you think that medically there’s something wrong with that and you should consult real live professional health care workers and not the internet.?

this isn’t “my saddle hurts my bum, what can I do about it.?” With a solution of, fitting, chamois cream and cycling is never completely pain free, so suck it up sunshine..

No matter how harmless you think something is it’s reckless to advise someone to put stuff in their body without proper qualifications.. and even they **** it up and get sued constantly..😰

Then again ...

If a bike setup is needed, consulting a Dr wont help.

If you do 3+ hour hard rides in hot weather, with a 650ml bottle of water ....

MOST reading here are past these basics.  BUT, the Bike Hub gets new cyclists on a regular basis, needing advise on the BASICS.

SURE - once these basics are in place, and problems persist .... SEE A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

PS - When I started doing longer rides I glanced at auntie google ... and went back to my dietitian for proper advise.  It has served me WELL.

7 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Saddle to high, your hips start rocking, and your lower back takes a beating .... at least that was my experience

A saddle that's too narrow does similar. And takes your shoulders along for the ride.