Bike Insurance

Cole Els

Hi all, 

I'm looking to insure my bike and was looking for any advice on who would be the best insurance to look at? 

Price R +- 30 000

Regards Cole 

Consider adding it to your household. Alternatively try Cyclesure. 
I’ve gone down both routes. But I found Cyclesure offers better rates and backup 

5 minutes ago, guidodg said:

Naked insurance all done on the app..

Not bad - about R250p/m per R100k

Thanks 🙏 

I've had a BAD run in with insurers who changed my policy from comprehensive to 3rd party to match a competitor quote, but they didn't tell me. After the inevitable accident they refused to pay out on the basis I wasn't covered.

I REFUSE insurance without a broker since that time. It's been 14 years and Santam have yet to disappoint.

33 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I've had a BAD run in with insurers who changed my policy from comprehensive to 3rd party to match a competitor quote, but they didn't tell me. After the inevitable accident they refused to pay out on the basis I wasn't covered.

I REFUSE insurance without a broker since that time. It's been 14 years and Santam have yet to disappoint.

Why TF aren't they upfront about this? Unless the miles long T&Cs covers it, in which case the onus will always be on the policy holder. 

3 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Why TF aren't they upfront about this? Unless the miles long T&Cs covers it, in which case the onus will always be on the policy holder. 

Budget / Dial Direct

They wanted my business. I was with Budget. I bought a new car for the wife. They quoted me 1200 pm to insure. I got a quote for 480 elsewhere. Cancelled the insurance. They said they'd meet my quote. I accepted. Never told me this meant moving my second vehicle to third party. They probably did hide it in tons of fine print but they never disclosed this to me. I accepted. I crashed. I lost.

I will never deal with the kinds of short term insurers again like the ilk of Dial Direct, Naked, King Price, Outsurance etc.

4 hours ago, Dappere said:

+1 for Santam Swtich

4 hours ago, Pandatron said:

Santam all the way

I am a firm supporter of Santam - VIA A BROKER

The concept of switching insurance on and off ..... follow the stolen bikes thread for a while .... a LOT of bikes are stolen from HOME ....

Also speak to your broker about "wearables cover", i.e. your helmet, Garmin watch, etc ....  (You mention a R30k bike, you may get a fright when you add up the costs of your wearables)

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

The concept of switching insurance on and off ..... follow the stolen bikes thread for a while .... a LOT of bikes are stolen from HOME ....

Also speak to your broker about "wearables cover", i.e. your helmet, Garmin watch, etc ....  (You mention a R30k bike, you may get a fright when you add up the costs of your wearables)

just careful if the wife is cc'd on your brokers emails, she might see what you actually paid

Just went through the process this morning:
CycleSure quoted R560 to insure a R100k bike (with PPA "discount").

Naked quoted R281.

Edited by MongooseMan

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

My approach is to never turn off the insurance 😂. Also, my experience with the app has been far more streamlined than dealing with a broker.