Simple Sam or Rook?

Hi, these come at a very similar price point and heard good things about both.

Looking for a simple fixie commuter style bike but question is which one??

Any feedback appreciated!

Thanks

19 minutes ago, amberctak@gmail.com said:

Hi, these come at a very similar price point and heard good things about both.

Looking for a simple fixie commuter style bike but question is which one??

Any feedback appreciated!

Thanks

Most of the Simple Sam's that I've seen have old school quill style stems. Makes it hard to adjust the setup on the bike. I'd go for Rook based purely on that.

I had a Rook Scout from new for a couple of weeks before it was nicked.  Not a fixie, so can't comment on that specific aspect, but overall found it to be a good product and stunning value.  Overall weight was lower than I expected, and the steel frame felt very rigid - it felt like it would last a long time.  The perceived quality of the frame seemed to make it worth investing in better components over time.  In terms of the whole package, shifts were OK - not always 100%.  It felt like they could be improved with adjustment but didn't have it for long enough to find out.  A weak point was the brakes - I think more braking power would be achieved by exhaling heavily.  Not relevant for a fixie, but maybe worth noting for anybody else who might be considering one.

Rook.jpg

I’ve had my Rook for a number of years. Used it to commute into town from Tableview. Can’t fault the quality for the price. 
depending on your preference, Rook will usually put either a flat or drop bar on the bike 

I've had a Simple Sam (steel), and I currently own a Rook Race (alu) single speed. Zero difference other than the weight.

I've ridden mine plenty of places, and will keep on riding it as it's an awesome training tool, and it draws some ooohs and aaahs as well with the special paint job from Rook at the time.

I've been considering the new 11 speed Rook as a budget gravel/bikepacking option.

Hoping to get a closer look at one on the Easter weekend 

12 hours ago, Rob Mortimer said:

I've been considering the new 11 speed Rook as a budget gravel/bikepacking option.

This option is just fine. A mate of mine @TyronLab completed an epic race on a Rook gravel bike, and wrote quite a lot about it. It's worth a read and quite inspirational.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to know if anyone knows if the rook one is alu or steel? Or was it the rook 2 that was alu ... confused ? I'm assuming the simple Sam is steel only?

Rook One = Steel / Rook II = Alu / Simple Sam =Alu & Steel, depending on the model. All of this information is freely available on their respective websites

On 3/12/2024 at 7:00 PM, Rob Mortimer said:

See also: Titan Switch 2023 (<ZAR20K); or 2024 (ZAR24K), if budget permits 

Both have carbon fork; 2024 has SRAM Rival drivetrain