why does a top end MTB cost more than a motorbike?

Shebeen

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Headshot said:

That's the same price as that new Titan superbike.

But then you have a Honda 🤣

3 hours ago, Headshot said:

Honda Africa Twin 1100...starting price R203k 

Yes, please! (Does it come with a Honda cap?)

2 hours ago, i24 said:

The new Honda Transalp 750 is currently on offer for R169k

https://www.hondacentral.co.za/product/honda-xl750-transalp/

Zack Courts of Daily Rider rated this his best bike tested in 2023.

What is the equivalent MTB, and what does it cost?

Of greater importance, daheck is doing their design work?! I'd happily pay a couple of g's extra for them to afford a proper designer. What's next, comic sans?! Word art? HRC-Works stickers?! 

image.png.3cef6abe005ca3ce7755ec9478fc0385.png

54 minutes ago, Iwan Kemp said:

Of greater importance, daheck is doing their design work?! I'd happily pay a couple of g's extra for them to afford a proper designer. What's next, comic sans?! Word art? HRC-Works stickers?! 

image.png.3cef6abe005ca3ce7755ec9478fc0385.png

let it be known that hondacentral does not equal honda SA, they look like just a dealership.

And trust me, if you leave it to the sales manager / staff, this is generally the kind of quality advertising you will get.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

let it be known that hondacentral does not equal honda SA, they look like just a dealership.

And trust me, if you leave it to the sales manager / staff, this is generally the kind of quality advertising you will get.

They are in Bloemfontein. Maybe the boss subcontracted the artwork to a family member. But if you shop around I am sure you can find more specialized graphics at your Lm-BS.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

WAAAAAYYYYY off point, I know, BUT you would think that Honda would have a solid CI document in place. That is ROUGH!

26 minutes ago, i24 said:

If you can put up with graphics,

Kill it with FIRE!

I'm starting to think they can keep their cap.

Distill it down to individual components. A tyre for my MTB=R900. Tyre for my Golf=R1500. Compare the weight of the 2 and the car tyre weighs my lifetime useage of MTB tyres. You can't really argue economies of scale either. I'd hazard a guess Maxxis has one, maybe 2 MTB tyre factories whereas Goodyear/Pirelli etc will probably have a few factories. Factor in that a car tyre probably lasts me 2 or more years/50,000km whereas a bike tyre lasts halfa year and a 10th or 20th of the car. All that equals ripoff.

18 minutes ago, Iwan Kemp said:

WAAAAAYYYYY off point, I know, BUT you would think that Honda would have a solid CI document in place. That is ROUGH!

They do. 
And it’s not just Honda, you’ll see the same with any brand. Most of the time the people putting out these ads have no clue about CI, and unless it gets spotted by the manufacturer it carries on. 

3 hours ago, Pandatron said:

But then you have a Honda 🤣

Correct, and it will probably keep revving on down the road way longer than what the owners natural lifespan would be....and without giving any issues along the way.

On 3/19/2024 at 1:42 PM, Headshot said:

Not sure what you'd have to do to an KTM ADV 890R to make it "race ready" but most people who buy them use them just fine for all kinds of events that could be termed "races" in their normal guise. They come with top notch adjustable suspension, rider aids and electronics that make the Epic 8 look like a throwback. No race was won because of RS electronic suspension, just like the Brain didn't win anyone a race either. 

They are priced at what the market will accept, simple. 

Listened to the podcast referenced above last night. Really interesting breaking down the costs per bike of a small manufacturer. Would be interesting to hear similar detail from A big (ger) manufacturer.