At 07:10 this morning, was cycling northbound on the M4, near York Road, when a lone attacker pretended to cross the road, said "hello sir" and then exposed a small knife and stabbed me in the right side of my chest.

I continued cycling for about 50m, turned into a side road and stopped. 

When the attacker saw that I had stopped, he sprinted towards me and I rode away from him. 

Alerted a local private security patroller a bit further up the road.

Received medical attention at Constantiaberg Mediclinic emergency. 4 stitches, otherwise all OK. 

Screenshot_20240407_102359_Strava.jpg

Edited by marc.anderson.za
Added information

Holy **** that's frightful. What kind of nightmare is this?

So sorry to hear of this and relieved you are ok. 

This is getting worse it seems and I doubt will ever improve. 

1 hour ago, marc.anderson.za said:

At 07:10 this morning, was cycling northbound on the M4, near York Road, when a lone attacker pretended to cross the road, said "hello sir" and then exposed a small knife and stabbed me in the right side of my chest.

I continued cycling for about 50m, turned into a side road and stopped. 

When the attacker saw that I had stopped, he sprinted towards me and I rode away from him. 

Alerted a local private security patroller a bit further up the road.

Received medical attention at Constantiaberg Mediclinic emergency. 4 stitches, otherwise all OK. 

Screenshot_20240407_102359_Strava.jpg

Gosh, that is terrifying...glad to hear you alright.

The brazen bastard is probably still high from his all-night drug use looking to fund his next fix. That section is filled with criminality and drug houses that the City and business owners should clean up. It's been in decline for years. One would think an ostensibly innocuous portion of the main road would be fine but are cyclists safe anywhere? Pleased that you came off only mildly scathed.

This is crazy - randomly stab,  then mug who stops ??  WTF 

Yoh.... I won't lie, that section between Suzuki South and Maynard Mall has scared the hell out of me for years. 

I worked near there for a while and expected death every other day I went to work. That was 15 plus years ago.

I won't even drive there, let alone ride or walk. 

A buddy of mine got mugged and stabbed right outside the Wynberg Courts. 

I drive through there regularly and wander around the area near the SAPS sometimes for work. No issues. I have commuted down min road Wynberg a couple of times to fetch my car and the biggest issues were the taxis. Outside rush hour I.e early on a Sunday morning is when the lowlifes come out I suspect... 

glad you got away relatively unscathed, sounds super brazen😤

99% chance that scum comes from Ebor road (parallel to Main road in the pic). My father owner a workshop in that street and it’s another world… drugs, prostitutes and generally unsavory characters going up and down. The Uli Heigt butchery building is basically a brick squatter camp.  Glad I never have to go there again.