Assos bib shorts quality and warranty service question

Jva

Definitely escalate this with Assos directly whom I’m sure will apply pressure on the distributor, this is brand damaging after all. 
I’ve had them repair some bibs which were bought a long while ago, yes I had to pay and arrange shipping to Switzerland but in my mind it was worth it. Helped that I got someone that side to ship for me. Shipping back to me was swift and at their cost. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Also have a relatively new Assos Mille gt with a hole thats developed. Also no warranty .quite disappointing 

Guess the Mille must be avoided then, the Assos Lycra is usually very thick though?

15 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Guess the Mille must be avoided then, the Assos Lycra is usually very thick though?

Also purchased from Cyclelab discounted to R1999

maybe they knew there’s a problem with production run 

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

Also purchased from Cyclelab discounted to R1999

maybe they knew there’s a problem with production run 

Mmm, hope not!

4 hours ago, Jva said:

So on January 4 2024 I bought a ASSOS Mille GT C2 bib short from Cycle lab as they had a very good special.

The shorts are great, very comfortable and I would have considered buying more except: after using them for about 3 months or 26 rides ( I rotate bib shorts) I noticed the material between the pad and seat is basically worn through. I took the shorts back to Cycle Lab who sent it to J&J Cycling for a warranty claim. I learnt that there will be no warranty claim because of the saddle I use, please read the next bit:

Here is the thing and also my reference point, about 7 or 8 year ago I bought 3 bib shorts at the 94.7 expo then held at the Dome, 1 x Ciovita Corsa bibs and 2 x Vermarc PRR bibs. For context I  have been using the same saddle, a Specialized Power saddle for all this time. I retired the Ciovita bibs because they stretched, no holes. I still use the Vermarc bibs but they are starting to show signs of wear but still 100% usable. My question, should a warranty claim be justified in this instance?

Its not your saddle. It is your saddle/seatclamp/inner thighs that is the problem.

I will dm you pics of my assos and ciovitas. my assos wears a hole in them due to the chamois beim lower on the inner thigh. My ciovitas chamois stitching goes first to such an extend that it almost looks like it has the unstitched sides like an ASSOS. So every few months i send 3x ciovita shorts to their store to have restitched. the first 2 times they did a warrenty exchange but then it dawned on me that i am just a fat .... and that my inner thighs rumming against the saddle clamp is the cause. its got nothing to do with saddle model and more an INTERFACE issue.

Hope it helps

Will post pictures tonight for all to see. I suspect we are not the only ones with this issue.

For context

MTB 25mm offset clamp with an Selle Italia SLR (saddle is pushed all the way back). this is also the main bib eater

ROAD: 25mm offset clamp with an Selle Italia SLR( Saddle is pushed all the way forward) no wear on bibs whatsoever)

Gravel: 0mm offset clamp with Spez Phenom (saddle pushed all the way forward) No wear on bibs but a skin pinch on my left side, probably due to the SLR 135mm vs the Phenom 143mm. I will get a SLR for the gravel when some shop has a sale on them again

Edited by no calves
Added more detail

26 minutes ago, no calves said:

Its not your saddle. It is your saddle/seatclamp/inner thighs that is the problem.

I will dm you pics of my assos and ciovitas. my assos wears a hole in them due to the chamois beim lower on the inner thigh. My ciovitas chamois stitching goes first to such an extend that it almost looks like it has the unstitched sides like an ASSOS. So every few months i send 3x ciovita shorts to their store to have restitched. the first 2 times they did a warrenty exchange but then it dawned on me that i am just a fat .... and that my inner thighs rumming against the saddle clamp is the cause. its got nothing to do with saddle model and more an INTERFACE issue.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the feedback, however why only the Assos and not my other bib shorts? Also I am 1,79m and 70kg.

2 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

I have the Corsa 2 bib and shorts.

My first Corsa was replaced.

2nd I tried on ... saw the same issues as the first.  Gave it away.  New owner happy with it.

I have 2 Assos bibs.  Does its job perfectly.

But I prefer shorts, so do the bulk of my rides in Rapid Sports shorts.  A fraction of the price, no issues.

40 minutes ago, no calves said:

.... and that my inner thighs rumming against the saddle clamp ...

Experienced same with a particular saddle/post/clamp where the edges of the clamp protruded beyond the edge of the saddle.

Also had a case of a velcro strap of a saddle bag constantly rubbing the shorts until it had a hole.

14 hours ago, Thomo said:

Experienced same with a particular saddle/post/clamp where the edges of the clamp protruded beyond the edge of the saddle.

Also had a case of a velcro strap of a saddle bag constantly rubbing the shorts until it had a hole.

Same happened to me with the saddle clamp. 

20 hours ago, Jva said:

So on January 4 2024 I bought a ASSOS Mille GT C2 bib short from Cycle lab as they had a very good special.

The shorts are great, very comfortable and I would have considered buying more except: after using them for about 3 months or 26 rides ( I rotate bib shorts) I noticed the material between the pad and seat is basically worn through. I took the shorts back to Cycle Lab who sent it to J&J Cycling for a warranty claim. I learnt that there will be no warranty claim because of the saddle I use, please read the next bit:

Here is the thing and also my reference point, about 7 or 8 year ago I bought 3 bib shorts at the 94.7 expo then held at the Dome, 1 x Ciovita Corsa bibs and 2 x Vermarc PRR bibs. For context I  have been using the same saddle, a Specialized Power saddle for all this time. I retired the Ciovita bibs because they stretched, no holes. I still use the Vermarc bibs but they are starting to show signs of wear but still 100% usable. My question, should a warranty claim be justified in this instance?

wait. so there's a potential problem with Assos and/or Power saddles?

doesn't the hub go 404 offline for a day if anyone complains about either?

36 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

wait. so there's a potential problem with Assos and/or Power saddles?

doesn't the hub go 404 offline for a day if anyone complains about either?

Not on a Friday .... at least not until the flames burn HIGH ....

18 hours ago, Thomo said:

That velcro saddle bag strap is a bugger .One ride with new bibs and it made hole 

Super odd that you are struggling with your bibs. I have had nothing but joy with mine and find the quality for the many pairs of bibs that I have to be really good. I’ve even still got some super old purple chamois ones that are in really good nick after many machine washes.

As an aside, does anyone have tips for washing the summer baselayers, mine are starting to get marks and discolour a bit, assume from all the sunscreen,  I’ve tried some Vanish, and use the assos wash as directed. But before I choose violence and go with a hot wash, thought I would check.