Highest carbs / 100 gram or serving products that don’t cost the earth

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't matter if you are a slowpoke or a racer, all of us are unable to digest more carbs than what we are burning and your performance will improve if you find your maximum ingestion rate.

You need multiple types of carbs to utilise all your absorption pathways. I used to up the recommended dosage of my bottles, and also add maltodextrin, but it throws the electrolytes and flavour profile out of whack and adding stuff throws the carb balance. Currently using SiSu Nutrition which is a local brand designed with high carb bottles in mind. Did over 700g total over 6 hours at Velddrif and plan to do higher rates at upcoming gravel ultras.

P.S. Some pro's are calling bike racing a race to see who can eat the most, and it's (theoretically) why all the records are falling...

"I was nonstop eating. I don't feel like eating anything else today, to be honest. When you're already going full gas for the first 80k and you're already eating full gas like it's the final, and then you have to continue eating to the end, it's pretty rough."
- Tom Pidcock, Strade Bianche

18 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

What about making some rice-cakes, recently watched some nice youtube clips on it.

tried making them twice. First time they went down ok, the second time I tried them I was doing SBR, its was hot, they did not go down so well. And perhaps the way I made them, but they were very crumbly and difficult to eat.

33 minutes ago, Akon said:

https://sisunutrition.co.za/

They are running a special currently too...
90g / bottle is my sweetness tolerance level. Top it up with Maltodextrine, and have those 2-hour gels ready as well. 

steve approves!

Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

https://sisunutrition.co.za/?product=sisu-2hr-fuel-cell-120-g

What does "equivalent to 4 gels" mean?

the all important question is how many g of carbs are in that 120g package, it's not answered.

5 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

What does "equivalent to 4 gels" mean?

the all important question is how many g of carbs are in that 120g package, it's not answered.

I think they're trying to highlight the fact that it's multi-dose in one tube... 🤷‍♂️
It's 75g carbs in the 120g tube.

I'm going to suggest that @bleedToWin has some invaluable insight into this AND the patience to tell you you're doing it wrong politely.

From experience. 

There is definitely something to be gained from taking pointers from here

On 4/26/2024 at 3:44 PM, ajnkzn said:

Hi Team

Hoping that the clever people can chip in here. 

Seeing as we “should” all be taking in at least 1 gram of carb / kg / hour to fuel well, what are you using to get close to these numbers. 

The pros are often over 100 grams of carb / hour but for mere mortals likely not necessary. 

Looking at your average juice mix (35-50 grams per bottle) and gel or bar (say another 15-20 each), what products do you use that don’t cost stupid money?

At 70-80kg most of us need a full bottle and 2 gels an hour which is likely R 60 - R 80 an hour…

I use the cheap Biogen juice (in the bag, under R 100 for 500 grams) and USN Vooma Bars (R 12 each) or USN Vooma Gels (R20 each) in racing. 

Training I’ll generally go way lower with half strength juice or electrolyte only “juice” and one bar / hour. 

Has anyone found any cheaper products that work well for them?

With respect, any of the LCHF / Keto crew, please don’t comment and say that you just eat biltong and water as the science has shown that carbs mean better performance 🤣

I curious to know this... if I ingest 100g carbs/hr, but only expend energy for say, 60-70g/hr, what happens to the rest? If I keep pumping in an excess of 30g/hr into my body, what will happen? Will I need to replace my pancreas?

Will my head unit give an accurate total of energy expenditure if I'm tracking watts and HR?

1 minute ago, lechatnoir said:

I curious to know this... if I ingest 100g carbs/hr, but only expend energy for say, 60-70g/hr, what happens to the rest? If I keep pumping in an excess of 30g/hr into my body, what will happen? Will I need to replace my pancreas?

Will my head unit give an accurate total of energy expenditure if I'm tracking watts and HR?

Generally gastric distress

Edited by Pandatron

I also do wonder about this - even if one isn't exceeding energy requirements (unlikely if you're applying yourself), does this much sugar (/ maltodextrin / fructocse / glucose etc) going through your system increase your risk of diabetes / cancers etc?

2 minutes ago, Pandatron said:

That's only if you exceed what you can digest, not what you are burning.

3 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

That's only if you exceed what you can digest, not what you are burning.

I read that one wrong there

7 minutes ago, Pandatron said:

What does the science say? Having a roadside gastro event, as miserable as that sounds, is hugely preferable to diabetes.

8 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

What does the science say? Having a roadside gastro event, as miserable as that sounds, is hugely preferable to diabetes.

I misread/read too quickly, if you consume more than you can digest, its a bloated stomach and a forward roll into the nearest bush - learnt this from testing out different things ha

In terms of the science on your exact question, havent found anything to lineup, maybe @bleedToWin can clarify or thought about it.

Logically i would think 30g would be negligible in a healthy human ?

What the research says ---

Studies have linked diets plentiful in high-GI foods to the development of type 2 diabetes. But as Teymoori et al noted in a 2021 paper, it’s the elevated insulin levels, which rise to control blood glucose, that can lead to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.

Since the body doesn’t release insulin during exercise, non-diabetic cyclists shouldn’t be concerned about fueling with sugar on the bike.

Moreover, a 1992 study by researchers at the University of Copenhagen found that during training athletes adapt to be able to absorb a high-carbohydrate diet without experiencing potentially harmful hyperglycemia. 

This evidence suggests cyclists’ high-carb diets off the bike don’t put them at risk of developing diabetes either. 

Edited by Pandatron
Weird post issue