Carrying while cycling

Good discussion. Esp regarding home defence. Now. Back to the topic at hand. 

Carrying whilst out on the bike. 

I would be keen if it is: readily accessible, concealed, secured, safe (trigger covered)  and most importantly accompanied by a reliable and instinctively accessible plan A (pepperspray Velcro'd to left shoulder strap). 

Any solutions? 

Current chest packs seem bulky. Iwb will likely print. Leg bag is obvious. Vests too warm in summer. Belly holsters sweaty and droopy. 

Prolly some iteration of a custom chest pack then. Can double up as essentials cargo space. Maybe manufactures can look into this.

Untill then, pepperspray and good insurance will do just fine for me. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, V18 said:

Good discussion. Esp regarding home defence. Now. Back to the topic at hand. 

Carrying whilst out on the bike. 

I would be keen if it is: readily accessible, concealed, secured, safe (trigger covered)  and most importantly accompanied by a reliable and instinctively accessible plan A (pepperspray Velcro'd to left shoulder strap). 

Any solutions? 

Current chest packs seem bulky. Iwb will likely print. Leg bag is obvious. Vests too warm in summer. Belly holsters sweaty and droopy. 

Prolly some iteration of a custom chest pack then. Can double up as essentials cargo space. Maybe manufactures can look into this.

Untill then, pepperspray and good insurance will do just fine for me. 

I reiterate, and no bearing on you personally or anyone else.

Carry a firearm and be fully prepared to pull the trigger, otherwise it’s just an ornament.

Following that, I don’t have trust in our courts towards a person like me in regards to a self defense plea.

Thanks for this. The more I read it the more it means. This thread has truly added depth to my understanding of this topic. Most importantly, there hasn't been a whitewash of reason towards each of the extremes. 

Edited by V18

Anyways back on topic. Carrying whilst riding. On my roadie. No. Can't conceal and most of the time I'm concentrating on not having a heart attack so I doubt I'd react in time. Pepper spray for the fake feel good but let's be honest the oke is getting the bike.

On the MTB the areas I ride tend to be pretty safe. I could possibly run some sort of chest rig but I see mostly downsides. Also I think most places like Jonkers are gun free zones anyway. So that's also a no. On Zwift I've often wanted to kill the little cartoon me. Does that count?

Mod note:

Please keep this discussion strictly related to cycling. Broader gun debate, off bike scenarios, and politics will be removed.

P.S. For a topic of this nature, it's been going well. Just catching it early before it spills over beyond repair.

I once rode with a pistol - in my hydration back pack - not for protection but to keep the firearm on my person as there was no safe where were were staying on holiday. 

I can't imagine trying to carry a pistol on every ride and where it would be located for quick draw without drawing attention to the fact that you have one. A backpack is not the place for that unless you have lots of time to react.

For me its a definite no to carrying while riding.