Unofficial The Ceder Thread

JM Rides Bikes

I've entered the ceder 245 happening on the 5th of October.

Wondering if TT bars are allowed for the race? #askingforafriend 😜 

• 4 months later...

It would appear we’re in for a warm day on Saturday. After training through the wettest, coldest winter in recent memory I am anything but heat acclimated, so this could be interesting 🙈

IMG_6221.png

IMG_6222.png

On 5/16/2024 at 10:19 AM, JM Rides Bikes said:

I've entered the ceder 245 happening on the 5th of October.

Wondering if TT bars are allowed for the race? #askingforafriend 😜 

No TT bars allowed. Benky used them before the rule was put in place the following year. 

9 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

It would appear we’re in for a warm day on Saturday. After training through the wettest, coldest winter in recent memory I am anything but heat acclimated, so this could be interesting 🙈

IMG_6221.png

IMG_6222.png

Better hope this melts before then...looking S away from Algeria20240930_172105.jpg.33087f7fbe29e2a5058435150ba6866c.jpg

It was 8 degrees cresting Niewoudts Pass at lunch time....supposed to be 29 tomorrow and 25 Wednesday....stranger things have happened!!!

It was 8 degrees cresting Niewoudts Pass at lunch time on Monday....supposed to be 29 tomorrow and 25 Wednesday....stranger things have happened!!!

On 10/1/2024 at 9:12 AM, MongooseMan said:

If you're doing the 245, note the route changes in the email this morning.

Updated gpx below.

Seems we lose about 10km of total distance due to the Op die Berg detour, but gain a climb and extra gravel, so swings and roundabouts...

Ceder245 (2024 Updated with Detours).gpx 350.91 kB · 5 downloads

Whoa...detours??? I'm headed for Op die Berg from Mount Cedar and back to Citrusdal tomorrow and Friday...!!

On 10/2/2024 at 8:10 PM, capediver said:

Whoa...detours??? I'm headed for Op die Berg from Mount Cedar and back to Citrusdal tomorrow and 

Stayed overnight at Houdenbek, and Charl who arranged the detour thru his property, persuaded me to take the same route...awesome, awesome!! Well marked for the Cedar! Long slow climb but when you do get to the top, the run down to the R303 is unbelievable!!!! Awesome part of epic trip!!

About 215k's, I tried to combine all files and it came out with 3,616m of ascent...

TBH I did get some help:

Final bit of Uitykyk, Groot River and Middleberg...... Middleberg on Ceres side is nasty and not rideable on a loaded gravel bike powered by an aging, greyhaired child! Much respect to the guys on the Race, even with zero load onboard, these are formidable climbs!

Did the full Niewoudts Pass...worst day on a bike by far.... howling, freezing wind and rain, the only thing that got me over was the promise of good weather for the rest of the trip...and then it was 4 days of riding heaven! SPECTACULAR route!!

Edited by capediver