Cederberg circuit in winter

Hi, calling on veteran gravel riders who have done the Cederberg loop:

I have the GPS route but not sure about stops/food/accommodation...

1. Is it advisable to do it in Winter and alone?

2. Can it be done skinny ie minimal gear, with overnight stays at accommodation which cater with food?

3. Clockwise or anti-clockwise?

4. Where to leave your car (driving up from cape Town)?

Any advice would help...thanks in advance

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2024 at 8:30 PM, capediver said:

Yoh, cool, I found one of those links, so thanks for the others! I do recall reading Dan and Harry's article..

Keen to hear how the trip went or are you still planning?

Yup , also keen to know and learn more about Cedarberg options 

There's a few different Cederberg Loops, which one do you want to try?
Winter is obviously risky, if you hit weather like we had a week ago you'll be going nowhere due to flooded roads.

Ha, so I got all ready then the weather hit...plan to start near Citrusdal, then clockwise, north towards Ceres, then across to Algeria, south to OpDeBerg, than back north to Citrusdal..

Trip now postponed to Sept, want to be self-supported (with option to lux it out in chalets), so priority will be campsites

Looks like its a 3 day slow trip, I'm ready!!!image.jpeg.c012904d150cd0f6b4d76a5020890f7c.jpeg

Edited by capediver

My mate and I did it in July last year. Weather was great!

We parked at Citrusdal Country Lodge and rode from there clockwise. We stayed at the Lodge at the end of the trip.

First night we stayed at Kromrivier. They have a restaurant that closes at 5pm-ish but you have enough time to get there.

Night 2 we stayed at Boplaas Guesthouse. We ordered dinner through them ahead of time.

Day 3, over the pass and down to Citrusdal where we finished at the Lodge and spent the night there.

Next time I'd try do it in 2 days and not 3.

You're welcome to inbox me for more info. It is surprisingly rural, so take enough food. Not a lot of places on the route. Peace and solitude.

20230717_113521.jpg

Edited by DMJ

11 hours ago, DMJ said:

My mate and I did it in July last year. Weather was great!

We parked at Citrusdal Country Lodge and rode from there clockwise. We stayed at the Lodge at the end of the trip.

First night we stayed at Kromrivier. They have a restaurant that closes at 5pm-ish but you have enough time to get there.

Night 2 we stayed at Boplaas Guesthouse. We ordered dinner through them ahead of time.

Day 3, over the pass and down to Citrusdal where we finished at the Lodge and spent the night there.

Next time I'd try do it in 2 days and not 3.

You're welcome to inbox me for more info. It is surprisingly rural, so take enough food. Not a lot of places on the route. Peace and solitude.

20230717_113521.jpg

Excellent, thanks...inbox incoming

If you want to challenge yourself then try this route, we did it earlier in the year.

Start at Oasis Backpackers (they have camping options and great food and you can safely leave your vehicle there).

Day 1  - Oasis to Mertonhof Guest farm in the Bieudow Valley via Eselbank & Wuppertal

Day 2 - Mertonhof to Jamaka Farm via Pakhuis Pass & Clanwilliam

Day 3 - Jamaka back to Oasis

Some monster climbs and incredible views. We did it as a 4 day trip and spent a day at Jamaka chilling out.

18 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

If you want to challenge yourself then try this route, we did it earlier in the year.

Start at Oasis Backpackers (they have camping options and great food and you can safely leave your vehicle there).

Day 1  - Oasis to Mertonhof Guest farm in the Bieudow Valley via Eselbank & Wuppertal

Some monster climbs and incredible views. We did it as a 4 day trip and spent a day at Jamaka chilling out.

Yoh, baby steps first!

17 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Sounds interesting. Please could you share the route map... Strava, GPX, Google Maps, whatever's easiest.

5 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

Sounds interesting. Please could you share the route map... Strava, GPX, Google Maps, whatever's easiest.

Would be great! Sounds like an awesome trip!

1 minute ago, capediver said:

Would be great! Sounds like an awesome trip!

Look, just being in the Cederberg is always awesome so if you haven't done the standard circuit it's definitely worth it! 

I'm keen on another trip in September/October so interested to have a better look at this option.