will king price cover my hubs

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Do you still have the Camber? Putting the 29er wheels on the stumpy is probably as simple as swapping out end caps on those hubs. 

you can probably re-use the current hub and spokes. Those Roval hubs dt Swiss clones. Pretty good. 

I do yes. I ride along the cycle path with it to build and maintain general fitness. It's a bit overkill but it works. I still have the old original roval wheels of the camber. Mmmm. Maybe put them back on and move the rapides over to the Stumpy. I'll be saving a bunch too.

On 7/7/2024 at 7:59 PM, BaGearA said:

Cause then the bike you bought would cost 20k more and then you might not think it such a deal ? 

Broadly speaking trek 9.7s come with ally wheels which really aren't great, 9.8s come with carbon wheels which are very good imo 

Both wheelsets share the same hubs and the hubs imo are dogshite 

The diff between 9.7s and 9.8s broadly speaking also about 20k 

Both are carbon frames tho.

I'm sure i could draw similar parallels with scott, giant and spez. Carbon wheels cost ching and adding them onto a bike that's good value doesn't necessarily up the value for everyone even tho the price climbs drastically 

Apologies BaGear, I quoted you accidentally.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

On 7/10/2024 at 3:19 PM, tinmug said:

The OP said "... the rims because i heavily cased a jump."

Then our friend Wyatt Earp says "My advice would be that you tell them you rode in quite an aggressively rocky area, you heard spokes making a noise and inspected the wheels after the ride. Noticed the cracks and you want to put in a claim for a new wheelset."

Now perhaps I am wrong but this seems to fit my dictionary's definition of fraud quite well. Or did I somehow misunderstand the true meaning of the message, when Mr Earp suggested telling the R1 insurance company that a very different set of circumstances were at play?

Gee. And we wonder why insurance rates are so high. And I wonder why this statement didn't seem a little strange to anyone else here. 😑

He didn’t mention that he cased a jump and that is what caused the cracks, he is presuming it, read the OP’s 1st. comment, the one I responded to again.

Same as the chain, chains don’t snap from too much power, they snap from cross-changing under pressure and the male plate pulls from the pin, most of the time it’s just a poorly installed pin to begin with.

Mountain bike wheels are meant to hold up to the abuse.

If your bike is insured for all risks, and you find your rims cracked, they should be covered without any questions.

I deal with insurance companies on bicycles weekly, and often make it clear to the assessor, when I feel a claimant is pulling a clever move.

I also understand the semantics and the loopholes they will go through to repudiate a claim especially when the bike is covered for all risks, and often the owner has to motivate to get the claim approved.

If you bothered to read my response properly, you will also read where I say the hubs will likely not be covered.

Will give you 6 out of 10 for trying 👍🏻

22 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

He didn’t mention that he cased a jump and that is what caused the cracks, read the OP’s 1st. comment, the one I responded to again.

Mountain bike wheels are meant to hold up to the abuse.

If your bike is insured for all risks, and you find your rims cracked, they should be covered without any questions.

I deal with insurance companies on bicycles weekly, and often make it clear to the assessor, when I feel a claimant is pulling a clever move.

I also understand the semantics and the loopholes they will go through to repudiate a claim especially when the bike is covered for all risks, and often the owner has to motivate to get the claim approved.

If you bothered to read my response properly, you will also read where I say the hubs will likely not be covered.

Will give you 6 out of 10 for trying 👍🏻

Tricky topic .....

I also read that he damaged the rim due to casing a jump -

Case.jpg.5e1db34e57494c61ac95f5a262d4ea8d.jpg

The semantics of a "casing a jump" vs "abuse" vs "accident damage" would make an interesting debate .....

Would be interesting to hear feedback from those in the insurance industry.

Yes, sure you see, and hear, some interesting "stories" .... sadly many people want the insurance to buy their next bike after years of use.  Clearly not the case with the OP.

Edited by ChrisF

Sorry pal, try as I might I see little room for now trying to squirm out of advising insurance fraud. Your words are literally to tell the insurance co a line of events that didn't occur. Whether 'casing a jump' – whatever that means in a youngster's (jumping to conclusion here) mind is irrelevant – caused it or not.

My raised eye brows are because of your statement; of HOW to get an insurance company to pay for damage: by fabricating a story. Your own words. 

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Tricky topic .....

I also read that he damaged the rim due to casing a jump -

Case.jpg.5e1db34e57494c61ac95f5a262d4ea8d.jpg

The semantics of a "casing a jump" vs "abuse" vs "accident damage" would make an interesting debate .....

Would be interesting to hear feedback from those in the insurance industry.

Yes, sure you see, and hear, some interesting "stories" .... sadly many people want the insurance to buy their next bike after years of use.  Clearly not the case with the OP.

I’ve seen guys try and pull a fast one, and I have made some enemies refusing to get involved. 

I agree, to me the OP is not trying to fleece the insurance for all he can, and I did make it clear the hubs will “likely” IMHO  not be covered. Also I don’t think the OP is quite sure on the technical aspects of how these things may happen.

Depending on who is covering the bike and what you covered it for, even  casing a jump, you will be paid out regardless, but if it happens to become a regular thing, they will definitely start tightening the screws.

7 minutes ago, tinmug said:

Sorry pal, try as I might I see little room for now trying to squirm out of advising insurance fraud. Your words are literally to tell the insurance co a line of events that didn't occur. Whether 'casing a jump' – whatever that means in a youngster's (jumping to conclusion here) mind is irrelevant – caused it or not.

My raised eye brows are because of your statement; of HOW to get an insurance company to pay for damage: by fabricating a story. Your own words. 

Make that 5/10 

9 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

I’ve seen guys try and pull a fast one, and I have made some enemies refusing to get involved. 

Depending on who is covering the bike and what you covered it for, even  casing a jump, you will be paid out regardless, but if it happens to become a regular thing, they will definitely start tightening the screws.

For sure !!

And once you have a bad claims record your premium for ALL your insurance needs may well be "less than ideal"

Often better to absorb the small claims to keep a good record.

And a cheap rims certainly is a small claim in the bigger scheme of things.

Edited by ChrisF

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

For sure !!

And once you have a bad claims record your premium for ALL your insurance needs may well be "less than ideal"

Often better to absorb the small claims to keep a good record.

And a cheap rims certainly is a small claim in the bigger scheme of things.

I’ve had people try and claim a new drivetrain 🙈

One thing I see often are cracked rims.

There are many reasons why these cracks appear, and I don’t want to deviate from the topic, but mostly the rider has no idea why the rims are cracking all over the place.

Cracks appear around the nipple holes and also through the cross section, and these cracks  appear way before a rider totally wrecks a rim due to over exuberance.

1 hour ago, Wyatt Earp said:

I’ve had people try and claim a new drivetrain 🙈

There are many reasons why these cracks appear, and I don’t want to deviate from the topic, but mostly the rider has no idea why the rims are cracking all over the place.

Cracks appear around the nipple holes and also through the cross section, and these cracks  appear way before a rider totally wrecks a rim due to over exuberance.

About a year ago we had a client successfully claim a sram xx1 12 spd cassette, due to one tooth being bent. 

4 hours ago, Wyatt Earp said:

There are many reasons why these cracks appear

Some times even because some (expert) wheel builder who is so good he doesn't need a tension meter pulls a spoke through an Enve rim..:whistling:

22 minutes ago, eddy said:

Some times even because some (expert) wheel builder who is so good he doesn't need a tension meter pulls a spoke through an Enve rim..:whistling:

I love telling that story, on the positive side, two wheels I immensely enjoyed to build 😀

18 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

I love telling that story, on the positive side, two wheels I immensely enjoyed to build 😀

Re-build Sheriff, re-build...