Holdfast bike rack swivelling

Mark_J

Hi all 

I got a new car and it comes with the tow ball tow hitch (Ford Everest) and my two bike Holdfast platform carrier is now swivelling on it. I never experienced this with my previous car which had the gooseneck tow bar. Am I just being a doofus or is it because it is a completely rounded tow ball? I have tightened the nut as tight as I can with a spanner and plenty elbow grease but still just doesn’t hold in place. 

Any advice please?

Thanks!

My racks (platform and hanging) swivel on both of my cars with a “4x4 tow bar”.

The cars are a Jimny and an XUV700, similar towbars but not the same manufacturer and slightly different design. 

I use these things in the link and attach to either the sides of the boot lid or to the recovery points under the car. 

Straps

My carriers are Buzz Rack (platform) and hanging (Thule and Holdfast), so it’s not specifically a Holdfast issue in my case. 

On a previous car (X3) a rented Thule Euro platform did the same thing on a gooseneck but didn’t swivel as much as what I currently experience - but still swivelled. 

The straps have been absolutely fine and travelled all sorts including a somewhat unplanned 4x4 route one day lol while carrying two bikes on a hanging rack, no issues, no damage to cars or racks. 

PS if someone has a more clever solution or if I’m just being a dufus please let me know, too! 

A bigger knob?

What does your towball look like (i.e. is it removable without major butchery like it would be with some German cars)? 

Likewise what does the Holdfast arrangement look like. Been years since I had a Holdfast rack but the one I had had a large range of adjustment (assuming this has changed).

If it's a newish bike rack it may be with taking up with Holdfast.

Option C: cycle everywhere and sell the car.

14 minutes ago, tinmug said:

A bigger knob?

What does your towball look like (i.e. is it removable without major butchery like it would be with some German cars)? 

Likewise what does the Holdfast arrangement look like. Been years since I had a Holdfast rack but the one I had had a large range of adjustment (assuming this has changed).

If it's a newish bike rack it may be with taking up with Holdfast.

Option 😄 cycle everywhere and sell the car.

I haven’t done the size by size knob comparison, but I can only assume I have upgraded to a larger one 😊

Here are some pics of the knob and the carrier. I believe these ball shape knobs are made to allow for swivel (trailers etc) so I can only think I need to get another one?

Thanks  

IMG_8567.jpeg

IMG_8569.jpeg

IMG_8570.jpeg

IMG_8568.jpeg

Ja I think your issue is the same as mine in that the knob itself swivels - BUT - I did have the same issue on the X3 which didn’t have a swivel knob, so best to make 💯 sure the new knob will work before driving away.

NB on the X3 (with factory fitted BMW gooseneck - no knob swivel possible) it didn’t swivel when empty but swivelled when the bikes were added. This happened with a Thule Euro platform and now that I think about it a Hang-On as well. 

8 minutes ago, RobynE said:

Ja I think your issue is the same as mine in that the knob itself swivels - BUT - I did have the same issue on the X3 which didn’t have a swivel knob, so best to make 💯 sure the new knob will work before driving away.

NB on the X3 (with factory fitted BMW gooseneck - no knob swivel possible) it didn’t swivel when empty but swivelled when the bikes were added. This happened with a Thule Euro platform and now that I think about it a Hang-On as well. 

Thanks Robyn, appreciate it!

2 hours ago, Mark_J said:

I haven’t done the size by size knob comparison, but I can only assume I have upgraded to a larger one 😊

Here are some pics of the knob and the carrier. I believe these ball shape knobs are made to allow for swivel (trailers etc) so I can only think I need to get another one?

Thanks  

IMG_8567.jpeg

IMG_8569.jpeg

IMG_8570.jpeg

IMG_8568.jpeg

Mark use some TipEx to note the position of the BALL on the brakcet.

Fit the bike rack and twist it by hand.

See if the mark moves .....

Maybe try a tack-weld to stop the rotation, if it is the ball on the bracket.

The ball should be a std 50mm for both cars. The rack looks like it was repaired or reinforcement done maybe the welding has a high spot that over time wore into the old ball making it sit tight. The new ball is probably perfect round and the rack swivels on the weld or high spot. The rack mount does not look square that could also be a problem.

Some racks allow for adjustment where it clamps. Contact Holfast in CTN tomorrow, they certainly used to be very helpful.

Thank you all for the help, will reach out to Holdfast and see

22 hours ago, Mark_J said:

Hi all 

I got a new car and it comes with the tow ball tow hitch (Ford Everest) and my two bike Holdfast platform carrier is now swivelling on it. I never experienced this with my previous car which had the gooseneck tow bar. Am I just being a doofus or is it because it is a completely rounded tow ball? I have tightened the nut as tight as I can with a spanner and plenty elbow grease but still just doesn’t hold in place. 

Any advice please?

Thanks!

Time for Thule. 

4 hours ago, Mark_J said:

Thank you all for the help, will reach out to Holdfast and see

Try, but please do try join Thule. 

Edited by OVERDRIVE

3 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Time for Thule. 

Try, but please do try join Thule. 

My Thule Hang-On and a rented Thule Euro platform do/did exactly the same thing on 2 of my current cars and on a previous car as well 🫤

2 minutes ago, RobynE said:

My Thule Hang-On and a rented Thule Euro platform do/did exactly the same thing on 2 of my current cars and on a previous car as well 🫤

Face Palm Disappointed GIF - Face Palm Disappointed Upset - Discover ...

Have you checked there is no grease residue on the knob or the carrier

Thats an impressive knob by the way