Review: Trek Madone Gen 8

News bot

Trek unveiled the new Madone 8 in June. A much anticipated answer to the call from racers for a one bike to do-it-all, and importantly, do it well. Combining the lightweight design of the Émonda with the efficient speed of the Madone, the new Madone Gen 8 provides a ‘best of both worlds’ solution. The new Madone takes aim at riders looking for an aero bike that climbs like a goat, and a climbing bike that slices wind with the fastest in the world. We were sent a brand new Madone SLR 9 AXS Gen 8. I leapt at the […]

View full article

2 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

MADONE SL 5 105 @ R65K looks like a great deal

Non aero basic wheels are handlebars and almost 9kg... what's the point 

2 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

It’s not just about the bike

there are probably more people who use a bike just for transport and couldn’t care about aero stuff

1 minute ago, SwissVan said:

It’s not just about the bike

there are probably more people who use a bike just for transport and couldn’t care about aero stuff

I wouldnt be paying 60k+ for a bike "just for transport"

Actually, thinking about it, @ 60k I'd want my bike to atleast look like I spent 60k on it, so more aero looking wheels and bars would be better.

it IS one sexy looking bike though. Except in that white marble colour, there is a guy in our morning group rides that has one in that colour, it just looks dirty to me, like a mechie left their greasy fingerprints all over it.

Bike garage has a size 56 emonda rival with carbon wheels and power meter for R62500, would have to view but it looked CLEAN..

6 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

Isn’t the 9 kilo mark kind of normal for a the modern aero bike..? I’ve always liked an emonda more

Edited by Bike Dewing

That geometry at the seat tube/ top tube intersection and the 'overhang' over the seat stays is concerning. The designers seem oblivious to stress concentration. Given that carbon is not great in compression, this looks like a recipe for disaster. I hope it's all been designed using finite element *** and it lives up to the stunning aesthetics. Time will tell.

17 hours ago, Bike Dewing said:

Isn’t the 9 kilo mark kind of normal for a the modern aero bike..? 

No.

I just can't believe people are buying such a basic, heavy bike for 65k

2 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

No.

I just can't believe people are buying such a basic, heavy bike for 65k

Definitely Not when the second hand market is producing absolute bangers for good money..

20 hours ago, Bike Dewing said:

Isn’t the 9 kilo mark kind of normal for a the modern aero bike..? Snipped

Good point, generally aero does not equate to light especially on standard production bottom of the range models.

People are obsessed by weight on a bike, yet neglect how many kg’s they can save on a bike compared to their own weight, water bottles, tools, equipment (like cycling shoes)….