What rear cassette

Brendon On Dad Brown

Hi. Need some advice. I am 1.67mtr tall and cranks on prospective new bike is 175mm, with a 53/39 crank and 11/28 cassette. My options in my head

Option 1:Take off 50/34 and 11/32 off my other bike - but then I compromise on speed but hill climbing is there

Option 2: Get a 52/36 crank with 172.5mm crank and 11/30 cassette

Option 3: Keep the 53/39 - try to find shorter crank arms that will fill and see what cassette is compatible 

If you ride 50/34, 32/11 currently the new bike won't work for you. 

Question is what the rear derailleur can handle and if it is worth buying another crank/cassette set up or otherwise looking at a different bike.

What length are your current cranks, and when was the last time you went for a bike fit?

What cranks are on the old and the new bikes?

As for the ratios, the 11-32 should work on the new bike with the 53/39. RD range between the two should be the same. Shimano's website will tell you what's what in that regard.

37 minutes ago, droo said:

What length are your current cranks, and when was the last time you went for a bike fit?

What cranks are on the old and the new bikes?

As for the ratios, the 11-32 should work on the new bike with the 53/39. RD range between the two should be the same. Shimano's website will tell you what's what in that regard.

Current cranks are 172.5mm on current bike. new bike 175mm. i was told i will need a long cage derailur for the travel. i will go check out shimano's site regarding this

1 hour ago, David Marshall said:

If you ride 50/34, 32/11 currently the new bike won't work for you. 

Question is what the rear derailleur can handle and if it is worth buying another crank/cassette set up or otherwise looking at a different bike.

when i got back into cycling i had 53/39 and 11/28. Was a bit tough, in the hills, then i did the 50/34 and 11/32 change, but i seldom go to the 32 ring in the rear. must of gotten stronger

22 minutes ago, Sandro said:

Personally I wouldn't worry about crank arm length.

🤔
I thought it is the latest silver bullet?
Poggi is on 165s 😎

7 hours ago, Brendon On Dad Brown said:

Option 2: Get a 52/36 crank with 172.5mm crank and 11/30 cassette

This is probably the best option in my view.

1. The 175mm would probably be too long especially if you are currently using a 172.5mm long crank. Even if you adjust your saddle height it will still close up your hip angle at the top of the pedal stroke.

2. 52-36 and 11-30 is good gearing for most terrain (if you have the legs).Im a heavy dude and run 52-36 & 11-32 gearing and I can get up most climbs comfortably. However, I spin out at 65km/h when descending so at some point I will 53-39 chain rings.

3. I use a Shimano short cage re derailleur and according to shimano the biggest cassett it can accommodate is a 30T. But use a 32T with no issues.

I hope that helps.

On 9/13/2024 at 4:31 PM, Sandro said:

How much hill training do you do? Personally I wouldn't worry about crank arm length.

Hi. Do quite a bit of climbing. Redhill, Llandudno, suiker, chappies and then in Durbanville surroundings 

28 minutes ago, Brendon On Dad Brown said:

Hi. Do quite a bit of climbing. Redhill, Llandudno, suiker, chappies and then in Durbanville surroundings 

Ok fair enough, I would look at the difference in pricing with the 34/50 vs 36/52 and decide from there. 34/50 should be fine for those hills, even with a 29 cassette.