Marketing the 94.7

Harryn

people are scared of the route organising comittee were thrown into the deep end and large amounts of prize money offered

just a thought please dont shoot me if i am wrong

Perhaps it's the cost to get to JHB with the fuel prices, less road bike cyclist due to the dangers to train, and we don't know yet what the impact is going to be on the Argus entries yet...The Argus was normally full after 3 weeks, so let's see how long it takes this year. My tiekie's worth

commercial  ... they wanna make money, everyone who has seen a bicycle knows abotu the 94.7, they think it is the ultimate Sa Road race, next to the Argus , right?

So they reckon they can charge whatever for it since people in general want to say they did the "94.7" ohh wow ... thats what i think

My guess would be that they attempt to attrack more people from outside Gauteng.

When it comes to the Argus, half of the entrants are locals and almost the rest of the other part comes from Gauteng.  On the 94.7 however, about 80% of the entrants are locals (Gauteng) and the rest comes scattered from all over the country.

Don't think their price would help their efforts though.

Coupla thoughts.

This is a big event such that there is a permanent professional organization for it.  It's a different animal to most club-based races.

It needs a high profile to get the buy-in from the City; & it sees the need to grow.

Unlike the Argus, it hasn't reached its ceiling for entrants.

Marketing while your numbers are strong gives you a better chance of keeping them that way.

Marketing the event is also attractive to sponsors whose contributions lower your costs in other areas.

By contrast, the Jock looks like it has a problem.  400 riders 105km/150km combined down from 550 last yr, down from 700(?) the yr before.

The 94.7 people are doing what they believe they must to keep the event healthy.

Coupla thoughts.

This is a big event such that there is a permanent professional organization for it.  It's a different animal to most club-based races.

It needs a high profile to get the buy-in from the City; & it sees the need to grow.

Unlike the Argus' date=' it hasn't reached its ceiling for entrants.

Marketing while your numbers are strong gives you a better chance of keeping them that way.

Marketing the event is also attractive to sponsors whose contributions lower your costs in other areas.

By contrast, the Jock looks like it has a problem.  400 riders 105km/150km combined down from 550 last yr, down from 700(?) the yr before.

The 94.7 people are doing what they believe they must to keep the event healthy.

[/quote']

Main problem with the 94.7 is that JHB isn't a fantastic tourist destination, paying a few thousand to come up here from PE, Capetown, Durbs etc is crazy for just a race.

Gautengers on the other hand are eager to go to the coast and are often wealthy enough to afford it.

If the organisers REALLY want to attract big entries they should get a sponsored/subsidised package deal with SAA to get the Capies here.

As for the Jock, I think it is because of a:

1. the point to point route is a hassle for most people (2006 start and finish was in barberton)

2. the general decline in numbers due to economic pressure

3. the general decline in numbers due to 'borderline'/ recreational cyclists losing a bit of interest in the sport (lack of LA, drugs)

I think the 94.7 (and Argus) will also see numbers decrease due to 2 and 3.

Joburg organiser likes to splash too much money compare to Cape Town organiser.

- Why must the Argus Tour pay so much % to CSA?

94.7 does not pay to CSA (I thinks so)

- Argus people organise the train trip from Joburg to the Argus, but 94.7 

could not organise one????

I have always want to do 94.7, but I find the entry fee, flight, accomodation a bit rip off. That is why I have not done it yet, but maybe oneday, if I will lotto. Ha! ha!

I have always want to do 94.7' date=' but I find the entry fee, flight, accomodation a bit rip off. That is why I have not done it yet, but maybe oneday, if I will lotto. Ha! ha!
[/quote']

Don't waste your hard earned lotto money like that.

I think the fuel price increases and increase in the rates still needs to show its effects on the cycling events.  Would like to see how quickly the Argus will fill up in September.

has anyone looked for flights to Argus yet (2009)? I looked and couldn't find one for less than R1k per person one way!! for this years' race I paid R1200 for 2 ppl return.

Joburg organiser likes to splash too much money compare to Cape Town organiser.

- Why must the Argus Tour pay so much % to CSA?

94.7 does not pay to CSA (I thinks so)

- Argus people organise the train trip from Joburg to the Argus' date=' but 94.7 

could not organise one????

I have always want to do 94.7, but I find the entry fee, flight, accomodation a bit rip off. That is why I have not done it yet, but maybe oneday, if I will lotto. Ha! ha!
[/quote']

The Argus people dont organize the train, Spoornet do and the Trans Karoo runs daily between Jhb and Cpt.

Coupla thoughts.

Unlike the Argus' date=' it hasn't reached its ceiling for entrants.

[/quote']

Main problem with the 94.7 is that JHB isn't a fantastic tourist destination, paying a few thousand to come up here from PE, Capetown, Durbs etc is crazy for just a race.

Gautengers on the other hand are eager to go to the coast and are often wealthy enough to afford it.

If the organisers REALLY want to attract big entries they should get a sponsored/subsidised package deal with SAA to get the Capies here.

As for the Jock, I think it is because of a:

1. the point to point route is a hassle for most people (2006 start and finish was in barberton)

2. the general decline in numbers due to economic pressure

3. the general decline in numbers due to 'borderline'/ recreational cyclists losing a bit of interest in the sport (lack of LA, drugs)

I think the 94.7 (and Argus) will also see numbers decrease due to 2 and 3.

If you thought there was nothing to do in Gauteng, check these people out. http://www.spottedchameleon.co.za/ . I have no affiliation to them but people don't realise just how much there is to do in Gauteng.

They advertise agressively because of one reason and one reason only

"Out of sight out of mind"

If people don't know about your product they will not buy it - hey Coca Cola still advertise and everyone knows about Coca Cola. Look around at every corner Cafe and you will find Coca Cola advertising painted on the walls, all the fridges in supermarkets - it's called awareness - hell they are even releasing a movie based on one of their commercials if you really want to talk about agressive advertising. Bottom line is when people see it and hear about it they buy it!!

20080722_050452_coke.jpg

Does this make you want to drink a beer??