Unfortunate John Lee....

Mudsimus

Anyone notice Chris Froome finish in the bus yesterday - interesting tactics

i think BW playing the 1 - 2 card - yesterday JL attacks and CF takes it easy, now today JL takes it easy (nurses his wounds) and CF goes for it.

I think CF will be in a move today - watch for that.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult to see why he didn't make the corner. It can only be that he might have looked away briefly at the wrong moment and didn't scrub his speed appropriately like the rider in front of him did. Even just a glance away from the road ahead or the rider ahead at high speed can make the difference between making a bend and making crash No. 5 on 101 Thrills and Spills of the Tour de France DVD.

He took the wrong line to go into the corner.

I rode excellent yesterday.I hope he got some legs over from yesterday and that he doesn't have bruises from the crash. Then he might give it a bash again today.

Witrot, I don't think he took the wrong line. He was on the same line as the guy in front and the two behind and they all made it fine. He just had the wrong speed for that line.

I too hope he feels good today and does something special, but don't be too disappointed if he doesn't. He's still very young and his body is still maturing. Two big efforts in successive mountain stages may be a bit much to expect.

I called him last night with some questions but he told me he's busy and can't talk. Same thing with Hunter last week. Told me to call back after dinner but then ignored my calls... Pity cos I'm trying to write a lot of constructive stuff about these guys and now is not a good time to turn down positive media exposure opportunities...

A-HA! Don't they have media liason officer(s) or have they been fired in advance? Surely you should be liasing through their agents/liason officers...? Barloworld in my opinion created more damage by jumping the gun and creating a lot of media flack through their hasty public announcement. The legalities of the contractual relationship as it currently stands is also to be addressed- a valid contract is still in force and I assume the four remainding riders are complying with their end of the bargain.  Or do they have the same "agent" as Bakkies Botha...?"Haastige hond verbrand sy mond?"Ouch

I called him last night with some questions but he told me he's busy and can't talk. Same thing with Hunter last week. Told me to call back after dinner but then ignored my calls... Pity cos I'm trying to write a lot of constructive stuff about these guys and now is not a good time to turn down positive media exposure opportunities...

A-HA! Don't they have media liason officer(s) or have they been fired in advance? Surely you should be liasing through their agents/liason officers...? Barloworld in my opinion created more damage by jumping the gun and creating a lot of media flack through their hasty public announcement. The legalities of the contractual relationship as it currently stands is also to be addressed- a valid contract is still in force and I assume the four remainding riders are complying with their end of the bargain.  Or do they have the same "agent" as Bakkies Botha...?"Haastige hond verbrand sy mond?"Ouch

All employees of the team wil still be paid until end off 2009.... they are keeping to there side of the contract..... the funding wil stil be there til end 2009....

my Q is.... wil they be racing in White jerseys..... with no branding on or what.....

Originally posted by fourbar

A-HA! Don't they have media liason officer(s) or have they been

fired in advance? Surely you should be liasing through their

agents/liason officers...? Barloworld in my opinion created more damage

by jumping the gun and creating a lot of media flack through their

hasty public announcement. The legalities of the contractual

relationship as it currently stands is also to be addressed- a valid

contract is still in force and I assume the four remainding riders are

complying with their end of the bargain.  Or do they have the same

"agent" as Bakkies Botha...?"Haastige hond verbrand sy mond?"Ouch

Their media liaison/PR company gave me his phone number to call him directly. When you're after a news story, going through a 'middleman' is not an option really. Timing is key. The next day the story is no longer news... Opportunity lost. Pity.

Their media liaison/PR company gave me his phone number to call him directly. When you're after a news story' date=' going through a 'middleman' is not an option really. Timing is key. The next day the story is no longer news... Opportunity lost. Pity.
[/quote']

So confirmed- Barloworld's media liason is done a-la- Bakkies Botha's... When will they learn that you have just one bite at the cherry!!!!
fourbar2008-07-23 02:58:33

so today's stage has 3 HC climbs - so 20 points for the first 2, then 40 for the last one. If JL gets in the break and takes points over the first 2 climbs, he could challenge for the polka dots jersey.

The main GC contenders wont let Kohl go with a break, so thats in his favour as well.

Mountains classification

1 Bernhard Kohl (Aut) Gerolsteiner                                                     85 pts
2 Sebastian Lang (Ger) Gerolsteiner                                                  60
3 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Bouygues Telecom                                       55
4 John-Lee Augustyn (RSA) Barloworld                                          53
5 Egoi Martinez De Esteban (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi                        50
6 Simon Gerrans (Aus) Crédit Agricole                                                 50
7 Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) Silence - Lotto                                            49 Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC - Saxo Bank                                         46
9 Cyril Dessel (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale                                                 44
10 José Luis Arrieta Lujambio (Spa) AG2R                                           40

Sean:Pity cos I'm trying to write a lot of constructive stuff about these guys and now is not a good time to turn down positive media exposure opportunities.The next day the story is no longer news... Opportunity lost. Pity.

I find it interesting to note your comment on "timing". You do not say for which publication the exposure was considered, but I assume its for Bicycling. If so, I further assume your magazine has longer "time limits" on stories being mainly a monthly publication. Or are you referring to the deadline for publication of the next issue? How do you guys time your coverage of long "real-time" events like the TDF and Giro?

Fourbar, the Aug/Sept issue of Bicycling went to print last week.

I am actually a freelance writer and am doing some work for news media clients during the Tour de France.

Generally, magazines go big on previewing major events as the news media (TV, radio, websites and newspapers) do a good job of reviewing them. Best way to review an event like the Tour in a magazine (which has long lead times) is pictorially, or by carrying an indepth feature with the winner.

Bloody ridiculous to finish a stage on a descent like that' date=' if you ask me. Just too risky. [/quote']

Descending is a skill that is just as important as climbing.  Look at Menchov, he probably lost the Tour today because he couldn't hold a wheel on the way down.  Difficult, yes, ridiculous, no.  If it's too dangerous, just slow down and live to fight another day.

Very true. My comment was based on what I read. I had the impression of a road descent like the MTB Dalco descent at Lake Garda (now off limits due to risk). Now that I've seen the video, the descent doesn't look more dangerous than any other really.

Yes JLA, what a way to recover. Thumbs%20Up

John Lee just took 7th on some monster climb in France, way to go!!! Clap Clap Clap

Witrot' date=' I don't think he took the wrong line. He was on the same line as the guy in front and the two behind and they all made it fine. He just had the wrong speed for that line.

I too hope he feels good today and does something special, but don't be too disappointed if he doesn't. He's still very young and his body is still maturing. Two big efforts in successive mountain stages may be a bit much to expect.
[/quote']

You have to check your video John Lee was all the way on the inside where the others where quite a bit to the middle.

He cut way toot early and in addition was going a bit faster then the others. Set up for disaster.