Is it a sin to ask for discount?

AndreZA

Saturday I popped int a bike shop in the Boskruin centre. I gave them specs of the bike I wanted to see if they maybe have other bikes not stocked by the 30 I've already been to. They did not and ended up explaining to me everything I knew about the bike bike I was already interested. I looked at the price on the ticket and they said they can give me R300 off. I told them I can get it even cheaper and that is when the service ended. The guy took my number and said he will phone me re: available stock and if he can get it cheaper. When I finally finished browsing through the shop, about 5 minutes later, I got a "please p%ss off" look. I doubt he will phone me back.

Big%20smile

It's about money dude..if U don't want it leave it they say..No it ain't a sin to ask for a discount...that's how I negotiated my groupset...

Go somewhere else & let them "p^&*ss offThumbs%20Down

"DTThumbs%20Up"

Have been to that shop once. Needed to urgently have wheels trued. The guy charged me R50 a wheelAngry.

Very steep compared to the R30 I paid with the previous owner.

This guy is only there to make money. Won't see me again.

i gave them a chance with this new owner and was also NOT impressed in the least. all they did was cement my (undying) loyalty to Linden!

No it is not a sin.  It is called ... negotiating for a better price.  And as a paying customer, it is your right to do so.

I continuously compare prices between shops and see where I can get the best deal.  Long time ago when I bought my HRM, I got prices between three different shops.  Two had the same 'lowest' price and one offered me a cash discount.  I accepted and said he should order.  A couple of days later I went to collect my HRM when the partner in the business was there and not the original guy that I spoke.  All of a sudden the discount was not allowed.  I just turned around and said.  You give me my HRM at the negotiated price or I walk out that door and you won't see me again.  As simple as that.  I got my discount.

I believe in the first quoted price as the best price! If the LBS negotiates with me then I am not interested ... I generally have a price in mind before going to the LBS!

Noooot .... KlapperKnop.  Some time ago when we bought our queens size bed, we manage do get the price down from R5000.00 to R3700.00.  Squeeze them.

I think it is fair to compare prices, and let the LBS know that you do this.  Normally they work on such tight mark up that to give further discount would be cutting their own throats.  (But often if you are a regular they will make a plan for you).  Some shops are cheaper on saddles, and others pedals, ext.  It does pay to shop around (if you have the time).  Some shops abuse the volatile rand, others don't.

I don't think asking for a discount is a sin, I think expecting one for simply asking is. On the same note i think its a sin not promoting your goods at the best price. So in my opinion a discount is a give and take. What do you expect to give up in return for the discount. Give back any free services, bring back option or after sales service. Pay cash no CC. Then perhaps yes a discount is negotiable. I find its best to ask "Is this the best deal you have to offer" this way no one is offended.

just a question, do you ask for discount at pick and pay? or after you've filled your car up with petrol? I agree its not a sin to ask, but don't get offended when the reply is no. Kona fan is on the money, bike shops in general don't make a killing (despite what some people think).

I don't buy for R10 000 from Pick 'n Pay or put that much petrol in my car. And if I am buying something that expensive from an electronic store or somewhere else, I do shop around. Explain to me why then can one shop offer the same product at double the discount the other shop is. Surely the shop with the big discount is still making money and will continue making money because they will get more business from me.

Oh by the way, I still have not received that phone call.

Because you asked:

some shops buy through the official suppliers, Cool heat and C&C ext.  Others import directly, and as such cut out the middle man.  (Although often importers do waiver their profit for some items, in order to get their new products on the market).

Furthermore, some bikes come in as a "package" where the manufacturer has negotiated bulk discount with the component suppliers, resulting in very cheap prices.

Also with some packages there are surpluss components (read spares) which are then sold at cost.

LBS also have overheads, like theft, rent, salaries, tax, sponsors, new porchese ext which are all worked into the prices.

Lastly, bike components are often bought cash up front or cash on delivery, making them very suseptible to currency fluctuations.  (Unlike running shoes that are bought on a six month future order with currency exchange set up to a year before actual payment.  Don't ask it is very complicated.)

Thats because the overheads might be higher than other shops also as i've said, the profit margins are not as high as some might think...so by giving discount on certain products it is nearer to cost than people realise.

Bike shops are businesses as well, after all. they're not all out to rip evryone off but instead trying to do an honest days work.

I agree Techguy.  But it is my right to find the place where I can get the cheapest price.  Obviously things become tight for businesses and shop owners.  However, if their service is very good I might just considering paying a tad more knowing that tommorow this guy will give me service.

Take for example, Polar.  They are propably not the cheapest HRM out there.  But there is simply no way that I would consider any other brand, simply because the service is so good.

But if I want to buy a product and there is a couple of hundred rands of difference, I will go for the cheaper one.  And how do I determine which one is the cheapest.  Go ask each seller their price.  And I will mention what I would get from the other seller.