Quota system for Pro-Teams

Chrispy

no offence but the quota system is realy unfair because riders with the same talent as pdi riders are being ignored by scouts and other sponsers

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no offence but the quota system is realy unfair because riders with the same talent as pdi riders are being ignored by scouts and other sponsers

That is the nature of equity - if a white rider has the same talent then he/she will be passed over for the black rider.  It is fair in that most (not all) black riders have had less opportunity to develop into good riders than the white rider.  What is unfair is that the failure of teams to address this problem earlier has meant that now lesser talented riders will have to be selected as quota riders.  Not fair on the riders that get passed over nor on the lower ability rider that is selected purely because of his race.

What will be interesting is the womens teams. I don't think I have ever seen a non-white women on a bike.

Wouldn't it be nice to see some of the bike BEE companies getting behind the sports that the quotas are imposed on? I mean lets see Mvela Holdings sponsor a bike race then, or a swim meet, or even an individual cyclist or something. Would cost a lot less than what they spend on theMvela Golden League, and wouldn't be so much preaching to the converted as it were. Just a thought.

Look, personally I don't have an issue with quotas or something to address the imbalances of the past, as long as it is done in a way which promotes the organic and long term growth of the sport. Trying to impose a quota at the highest level can only have detremental effects on the success of the sport, if it means that riders who are not at a sufficient level are forced to race at the top.

Rather implement a system of building the sport at the grass roots levels. At schools, universities and so on. Surely CSA can get LOTTO funds or something to focus on this, and show a real commitment. Put a plan on paper to have riders of all colours at the highest levels by a certain time.

I don't think the words "South Africa" and "fair" have ever gone together.

Whichever group is on top, there is strife for the others and what you have now is just another adjustment to the balance between different groups.

It might not be fair but it might be ok or inevitable or the necessary next step.

What will be interesting is the womens teams. I don't think I have ever seen a non-white women on a bike.

At this years Eric van Enter meeting (a multiple day schools road event) the WP U14 girls team (all from Khyaelitsha) won the girls event.

Watch this spaceWink

At this years Eric van Enter meeting (a multiple day schools road event) the WP U14 girls team (all from Khyaelitsha) won the girls event.

Watch this spaceWink

SEe, that makes more sense than imposing it at the top. Grow the PDI from the bottom. Well done whoever focused on this team. I assume it was ppa or someone. Good thinking.

I agree with the "quota" system, except that the riders need to be of equal ability - which is a bit difficult to find. This is due to lack of funding and effort to be involved by all the loud mouths!!! If there are more willing people to help with development and nurturing of young riders, then the gap will be bridged sooner. Please look at ways of offering assistance to local clubs in your area through the local associations like PPA, GPPA, CGU or contact the CSA office for a contact in your region. 

My 2c

Guest colonel

Quota or not if you good enough you will get chosen for a team if not we will land up with Pro teams with the caliber of the Springbok rugby team and 97% of the seats in Parliament.

Sorry to piss everyone off here but its a joke to me if you make the grade you get chosen life isnt about hands out here.

Quota or not if you good enough you will get chosen for a team if not we will land up with Pro teams with the caliber of the Springbok rugby team and 97% of the seats in Parliament.

I agree!!

I believe that thecycling is a close knitt community, who occasionally takes note of new comers unless they show potential by kicking ass!!!!!!!! I agree about the Springbok issue, but we need to somehow open people's eyes to move away from the blinkers. "Life is not always about me" - give something back, to grow the sport and make it better

Guest colonel

Yes I agree grow the sport and once the development is at a level where teams are looking at them and their real potential then they go Pro. If I was coughing up R3,5 mil a year to sponsor a team I want results not a development rider in the team cause he has to be there according to cycling SA. Do me a favour please "disadvantaged" people have been thrown into every situation possible without any training or guidance and look where we are today.

If this is the quota then I want to be put onto a Pro team cause I was disadvantaged as a kid cause I raced motocross and not cycled but now Im cycling I need a break and get a salary I dont deserve on a Pro team I think I will contact Scott Richardson of Msoft now and get some kit for the 94.7 cause I deserve it.

Fit in or ****off and if your legs do the talking then get signed....simple!

Mampara I had a black lady (18y) old who I have been grooming in the same manner as my other Orange okes( Isaac and William) Sadly Phindi has been poached by a more financial sound club from me. This after she has consistantly shown improvement to a level of riding 100km rides at 3H00 pace. Now the question, why does the  bigger,wealthier clubs not develop their own PDI riders instead of simply poaching them by dangling a few rand in front of their eyes. By the way since I have taken the club bike back from Phindi her NEW CLUB has not bought her a bike as yet. Going onto two months now. I have made peace with myself that the possibility exists that Isaac and William might be poached as well, Remember these youngsters were taken from nothing and groomed into the riders they are today, check their results for yourselves and yes there is many more out there that can produce these abilities however this costs time and money to do this.

S Works the Quota system is a load of bulls#$%t , have you been to any of the junior tour such as the Eric van Enter to see the changes taking place in their ranks, why are these youngsters not looked after and groomed to ride in the pro ranks instead of been burnt out by the time they reach the age of 19/20 years.( Here I am thinking about proper academies run by Provincial and national bodies not commercial,personal clubs).

After 18 months I am still waiting for a constructive document from CSA or CGC as how to better the little I am doing in my area . I will PM the responses I received if you want to show you what effort is made by these officials.

However I must make it clear other than for road cycling in CGC the other disciplines are way ahead with their deveopment and transformation of the sport at Junior level, all you need do is go down to Randburg or Hector Norris to witness first hand how these officials has changed things for the juniors.( BMX and Mountain biking)

The pro teams must not be forced to include quota riders in their teams, rather they should be given a development plan or made to adopt a PDI club and groom those riders into the beings they are, this way they become proud members of the club/community they come from.Remember this is hard work.

Lotto monies and all the so called bikes for development where are they, who has a proper audit of whom these were given to and how they are maintained/used.

By the way taking the person/s out of the townships into the suburbs to ride over week-ends ain't development is is WINDOW DRESSING.

To the guys down in the Cape at the PPA and Glyn you have the right idea as to how to develop the PDI's I salute you.