Bicycling Magazine

Eugene

I wish to complain about the "What's your favourite mag" thread.

Eagerly I rushed over there to exploit the loose wording of this title by posting various witticisms only to find it's a vote-only poll thingumy.

Really, this is stifling the comic creativity of the Hub & should be rooted out.

As if someone's "favourite mag" would have anything to do with cycling.

Huff..

Grrr.

Joe Low2008-09-19 10:00:14

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eagerly I rushed over there to exploit the loose wording of this title by posting various witticisms only to find it's a vote-only poll thingumy.

Really' date=' this is stifling the comic creativity of the Hub & should be rooted out.

As if someone's "favourite mag"?would have?anything to do with cycling.

?

Huff..

?

Grrr.

?

?
[/quote']

are you thinking what i'm thinking? i think you are smiley2.gif landbou weekblad for the personals smiley32.gif

Hi HR - actually, I get this special magazine sent to me from Taiwan every month called Fasteners World.  I thought it was cos I ticked a box on some s&m survey but turns out it's full of (the wrong kind of) screws and bolts.

It would be, as you would expect

.....roll on the drums

a Riveting read.

(cue cymbal & honky horn)

Really' date=' this is stifling the comic creativity of the Hub & should be rooted out.

As if someone's "favourite mag" would have anything to do with cycling.

Huff..

Grrr.

[/quote']

'ello, 'ello, 'ello, whats going on 'ere?

you politicking for funniest hubber ? Complaining about no place for witticisimsms or somfin'?

- 0.00000000001 zim voting points for you

Slowbee2008-09-19 10:09:14

Hi HR - actually' date=' I get this special magazine sent to me from Taiwan every month called Fasteners World.? I thought it was cos I ticked a box on some s&m survey but turns out it's full of (the wrong kind of) screws and bolts.

?

?

It would be, as you would expect

?

.....roll on the drums

?

a Riveting read.

?

(cue cymbal & honky horn)
[/quote']

smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif

... hey lets all just shut up and discuss the price of eggs' date=' that will make for great discussion.

[/quote']

Please don't - I have friends who are chicken farmers and they might get upset as well Wink.

I get my fix from two pushers I always visit in Durban. Managed to get a good stash over the last couple of years. MBR, Mountain Biking UK, Cycling Weekly, Cycle Sport, Procycling, and Cycling Plus. I don't get Bicycling USA because of repeat content in later SA issues. 

Also subscribed to Bicycling SA since the first issue, and Ride- every issue since 2000. Cutting subs to either one will be like letting go of an old mate, since these two helped me get back into cycling since I took it up after I stopped tri's in the early 90's. But Bicycling is looking more and more like a sanitised and tired formula, with an attempt at a makeover which makes it look even more American. But I will stay with it. Nothing much to do here in the middle of the Moz bush but read lots.

Bicycling......very poor. All done halfway thru my crap.

End up reading the label on the Toilet Duck.

Seriously though, the number of errors in the articles is pretty annoying. Their end of year bicycle review has quite a few incorrect bike descriptions.

As for that earlier post about having to contribute to the mag. WTF? These guys are meant to write articles. There are many good mags on the shelves with far less advertising and more/better articles but cost less.

I feel ripped off!

I agree Dirtbreath. The latest issue's editorial starts off with complaints about the longest winter ever. What? There has been so much happening on the cycling scene, and South Africans producing their best performances ever. We waited two months for the latest issue and there's nothing of substance in it. Seems like the Bicycling team were hibernating through a great few months of cycling. Cranky2008-09-19 23:57:02

My two pushers are the bulk magazine discounters- 1 in Davenport Centre, and the other at Overport City in Durban. They always have back issues of the best cycle mags around, for anything upwards of R10 to half price, depending on date of issue. 

I guess there are only so many stories to tell about how to cycle. I found Bicycling informative when I started up again about a year ago, but now I read Ride and Mountain Biker, simply because they have half decent race reports. The race coverage in Bicycling is almost non-existent. Come on timbrink, there are lots of races locally, lots of people do race. You can double the mag's pages and readers. Or do you not have any say in the matter?

I'm making the switch to procyling and mbr.By far a better read plus more tech info.Bicycling is boring so I can't wait for my subscription to end sorry touchline...........

Hi Tim

I think its an encouraging sign that you're spending time on the Hub, even though you've logged off now. It means that you are absorbing the kind of things that people who are passionate about cycling are thinking and saying. Perhaps you're getting great ideas for great material. I am not with those who want to end their subs- what a bummer that would be for me when I have every issue since no.1. So I don't want to see the mag criticised in the Hub or anywhere, and I hope that it succeeds with great quality stuff. Oh, and some constructive comment (really)- you must also try and spend time at the Bicycling stand at the expo's and be approachable, instead of having pretty young things standing around who giggle and know nothing about cycling. You could take a page out of Adele Tait's and Attie's book. At the Argus Expo this year I said howzzit to Attie and he remembered me from previous expos and we had a great chat.

So good luck and may your mag get stronger.

Hi Tim

I think its an encouraging sign that you're spending time on the Hub' date=' even though you've logged off now. It means that you are absorbing the kind of things that people who are passionate about cycling are thinking and saying. Perhaps you're getting great ideas for great material. I am not with those who want to end their subs- what a bummer that would be for me when I have every issue since no.1. So I don't want to see the mag criticised in the Hub or anywhere, and I hope that it succeeds with great quality stuff. Oh, and some constructive comment (really)- you must also try and spend time at the Bicycling stand at the expo's and be approachable, instead of having pretty young things standing around who giggle and know nothing about cycling. You could take a page out of Adele Tait's and Attie's book. At the Argus Expo this year I said howzzit to Attie and he remembered me from previous expos and we had a great chat.

So good luck and may your mag get stronger.
[/quote']

would be great to meet the editor .... and actually chat about the magazine.