Deep Section vs Normal Road wheels

gasant112

I have seen guys dump there Deep section wheel at the back and normal wheel in front ...What would be the purposeĀ of this...does it increase speed or just a fashion statement...Wink

Wouldn't it also help if there is a strong crosswind???

Ā 

Same reason that in a time trial a rider won't use a disc in the front, it would be taken with the wind and steer the bike off line.

The back wheel with the riders weight on it isn't nearly as badly effected.

Ā 

I think this setup was also far more common in the past when deep sections tended to be a lot heavier than they are now.Ā  This setup allowed the aerodynamic benifits of a deep section and the weight of a normal wheel.Ā  Bit of the best of both worlds.

I'mnot convinced that deep section "Aero" wheels offer real world benefits.

The wind tunnel is one thing, the open road another.

Ā 

I liken an aero wheel to a sail on a racing yacht. If the wind is steady and the sail is filled then everythings fine.

Ā 

However the wind seldom blows from the same direction out on the course.

Ā 

Same with deep sections wheels. the movement of the rider affects the angle of attack of the wheel continuously creating drag.

Ā 

And then of course theres the rider..

Ā 

I'mnot convinced that deep section "Aero" wheels offer real world benefits.

The wind tunnel is one thing' date=' the open road another.

Ā 

I liken an aero wheel to a sail on a racing yacht. If the wind is steady and the sail is filled then everythings fine.

Ā 

However the wind seldom blows from the same direction out on the course.

Ā 

Same with deep sections wheels. the movement of the rider affects the angle of attack of the wheel continuously creating drag.

Ā 

And then of course theres the rider..
[/quote']

Ā 

But these look so cool...

http://www.real-retail.com/via/parts/wheel/campagnolo/bola-ultra01_02.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Dit is so dat die grootste faktor in aerodinamika die ryer self is. Hoe laer jou profiel is, hoe laer is sleursyfer.

Gaan kyk na Zipp se toetse wat hulle gedoen het - seker bietjie eensydig - en jy sal sien dat die sleursyfer vir 'n diep seksie wiel baie laer is in alle toestande as 'n gewone boks seksie wiel. Die feit dat die wiele ook moer lig is, vereis baie minder krag om hulle aan die gang te kry. Dit, tesame met die laer sleursyfer in omtrant alle windtoestande, maak dit net vir my 'n beter wiel...

Ā 

Ā 

... sleursyfer...

Ā 

i like this word!Ā 

Ā 

nearly like "slet" (as in "jason het donners hard neergeslet"),Ā  but nicer!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

i like this word!Ā 

nearly like "slet" (as in "jason het donners hard neergeslet")' date='Ā  but nicer!
[/quote'] LOLĀ and... Jason gaan weer donners hard neer slet! Big%20smile