Harkerville Red Route

Bakkie

Kevin Evans' parents own the bike shop in Plett (as you enter from the Lookout side). They are very friendly and live at the entrance to the Harkerville ride. From their place you can rent a bike and get a permit to enter the forest.

It is an awesome ride but I found the map you get with the permit quite misleading and very definately out of scale. I also didn't think the routes were marked very well, so be alert for the signs.

This isn't intended as a dig, just advice, because this ride is simply amazing.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can hire DS and HT from Knysna Cycle Works. Bikes are in good condition. Book in advance though.

(044) 382 5153

Yeah, forget about the map. Route is well marked

How's those flippin' steps you ride down to get to the bottom of the stream?

BTW, the last time I rode it was with Tim Brink. He was on a single speed

and embarrassed the lot of us!!!

IMO the red route is certainly beautiful and a nice family outing for a fit family.

The scenery scores a 9/10, and I love doing it. But the route itself I'd only score a 5 or so. There is just almost nil technical at all except the little steps to the river. Most of the singletrack is fairly straight and wide. Spend some money on it and build a few sections giving it some curves and flow, and adding some rooty (it is forest after all) narrow descents to keep it natural and it will be a winner though.

We did one of the Harkerville rides on our honey moon, It is one of the nicest places i have ever ridden.

Minty' date=' isn't now about the time that you post your favourite picture?  [/quote']

20080930_051513_Knysna_142.jpg

I think this is probably one of the sickest photos ever.

Thank you Minty for reminding us why we spend our days breathing recycled air in open plan office's.

Thank you Minty for reminding us why we spend our days breathing recycled air in open plan office's.

Pleasure....

20080930_060922_W38.JPG

If people are that side I can also reccomend the MTB tracks (3 routes when last there) in the mountains above Sedgefield. Access is free.  Eugene in the Sedgefield Cycleworks bike shop is an active rider, very knowledgable and alsways has time to talk cycling.  He also organises group rides (road & MTB). 

Also a nice ride "Die ou treinspoor pad" in Knysna. Its not marked, will try to get a gps file or google.