Cervelo Soloist - Carbon vs Alu?

wonduhboy

Have ALU, campag centaur. Great ride. I've heard that the Carbons break a lot. Best is to investigate , whether the shops will tell you anything don't know but ask around!

Used to have the Ali bike' date=' it was awesome. Regretted getting rid of it ever since.

[/quote']

Ja....now you're on a Cannondale 20061207_045425_skep.gif

Used to have the Ali bike' date=' it was awesome. Regretted getting rid of it ever since.

[/quote']

Ja....now you're on a Cannondale 20061207_045425_skep.gif

no wonder he's regretting itTongueTongueTongueTongue

I've got the Soloist Centaur, thus a Alu. Mighty stiff, and with the alu seat post, you can really get beat up over ruff surfaces. If you can afford the Carb, go for it, otherwise try to get the alu frame with a carbon seat post and you should be fine ...

I've heard that the Carbons break a lot.

That's a rumor. I ride a Soloist Carbon and its awesome. I have never had a problem with it. I find it's aerodynamics are perfect for South African roads. If you can afford the Carbon, knock yourself out.

I ride an alu Soloist with D/Ace and FSA components. I'm on my 2nd frame as the first one cracked on the seat post below the clamp. My 2nd frame is also starting to crack there Embarrassed.

Despite that I am very happy with the bike. However I must agree, if you can afford the carbon then get (purely for the bling effect) it but remember the alu bike is as fast both up and down a hill!

honestly, without trying to stir, would cervelo's be as popular if thy were never ridden  by a big pro tour team ?

Seems that quite a few cervello frames(alloy and carbon) crack. And then there was the recall aswell. Maybe its just more obvious because of the large number of these bikes on our roads? Just an oberservation.

honestly' date=' without trying to stir, would cervelo's be as popular if thy were never ridden  by a big pro tour team ?

[/quote']

I'm sure they would be almost as popular. I for one liked the bike before I even knew who rode them.

i have a alu soloist and the r3.

the soloist is a great ride & stiff as hell. problem is that you feel every little bump in the road - carbon seatpost should sort it out.

you can get it very light with the right components - they had one at the 94 expo that came in at 6.4kg

alu soloist with nice groupo and ZIPPS should still come in less than the corbon one pricewise...

i have a alu soloist and the r3.

the soloist is a great ride & stiff as hell. problem is that you feel every little bump in the road - carbon seatpost should sort it out.

you can get it very light with the right components - they had one at the 94 expo that came in at 6.4kg

alu soloist with nice groupo and ZIPPS should still come in less than the corbon one pricewise...

Dr Seuss - how does the alu Soloist compare to the R3?

honestly' date=' without trying to stir, would cervelo's be as popular if thy were never ridden  by a big pro tour team ?

[/quote']

I'm sure they would be almost as popular. I for one liked the bike before I even knew who rode them.

fair enough...thats good to know.

As far as I know they only had some problems with the carbon R2.5 frames ,you'll have to be a monster on a bike to break the new soloist or R3!!